Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[How To] Reset your phone in order to return to Verizon(Updated 12/11/2012)

OP Brian Gove

3rd September 2012, 12:09 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Land of Oz
Thanks Meter: 330

987 posts
More
A lot of people have been starting new threads asking how to reset their phone to stock in order to return it to Verizon with all their modifications undetected. It's really simple and easy to do.

This is to remove any ROM you've installed, un-root and re-lock your bootloader. I'll also post a link to reset your flash counter if you've tripped it.

Basically I'm just going to post a few links to guides that are already here.

-First is to backup:

Backup literally everything on your phone and external sd card just to be safe. Just imagine that if you lost your phone what you would've wanted backed up. (I'm not saying you're going to mess up your phone, just that the internal sd card will be wiped clean. Pics, settings, videos, etc... all wiped off the internal card. Backup up your ext is just to have your bases 100% covered, none of this process actually uses your ext card. You can just remove it if you'd like also.

-Second, Check your Flash counter:

More than likely unless you've been flashing custom stuff through Odin you haven't tripped it. In otherwords if you haven't used Odin or just rooted your phone using Odin and then flashed everything else in CWM or TWRP, you haven't tripped it.

To check your flash counter you need to enter download mode - 'Vol down+Home button+Power button'

You will need to be in download mode for the next step anyways, so just doublecheck the counter first.

If you have tripped it, use this app from the play store Triangle Away

-Third is to flash the stock rooted image via Odin:(This image version will re-lock your bootloader and un root you)
Go to section #5 of this Guide and follow the instructions. Use the UN rooted official version and Just to clarify, there is really only ONE option to choose if you plan on returning your phone to Verizon.(Official VRALG1 4.0.4)

(Shortcut to the file if you are familiar and already have Odin, Here)

-Lastly, perform a wipe via recovery just for safety's sake:
Hold 'Volume up+Home button+Power' from your phone being power off. And do this BEFORE you boot up the stock version otherwise you could get stuck in a bootloop and have to do a battery pull.

It's that simple and this will leave your phone in an "out of the box" state therefor safe to return to Verizon without them catching on.
Last edited by Brian Gove; 11th December 2012 at 07:42 PM.
The Following 58 Users Say Thank You to Brian Gove For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd September 2012, 04:03 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1

19 posts
Cool
Yes but where do i get the stock un-rooted to flash to my device? I cant find it please provide a link. Thanks in advance!
3rd September 2012, 04:05 AM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Fort Wayne
Thanks Meter: 3,436

6,191 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomCorp

Yes but where do i get the stock un-rooted to flash to my device? I cant find it please provide a link. Thanks in advance!

section 6 of my guide...op linked ya right too it
The Following User Says Thank You to droidstyle For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd September 2012, 04:09 AM   |  #4  

19 posts
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidstyle

section 6 of my guide...op linked ya right too it

I an kinda new but I know my way around a phone and its working but I just don't get which one it is lol sorry if this sounds amateur.
3rd September 2012, 04:42 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Land of Oz

987 posts
More
Quote:

I an kinda new but I know my way around a phone and its working but I just don't get which one it is lol sorry if this sounds amateur.

There's three choices(the fourth is a kernel) either of the first two will be fine to un root your phone. The third one(root66) will return you to stock rooted.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian Gove For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd September 2012, 05:33 AM   |  #6  

19 posts
Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Gove

There's three choices(the fourth is a kernel) either of the first two will be fine to un root your phone. The third one(root66) will return you to stock rooted.

OK I understand now and also do i lock the bootloader before or after i un-root?

---------- Post added at 04:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 AM ----------

Quote:

OK I understand now and also do i lock the bootloader before or after i un-root?

Which two files from the tut do you recomend I use? VRALF2 & Stock VRALF2 Kernel ?
3rd September 2012, 07:06 AM   |  #7  

19 posts
Smile
I got it un rooted and now since you put locking the boot loader last on the list the ez app wont work it says I need root access to lock it is there another way or should i re root and then un root? But how would it be possible if it is re rooted then un rooted because at the end of the process after i odin the stock non root back i will not be able to access the menu to do a factory reset or anything

How do I check if my boot loader is locked?

Please help
Last edited by PhenomCorp; 3rd September 2012 at 07:58 AM.
3rd September 2012, 04:04 PM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Fort Wayne

6,191 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I got it un rooted and now since you put locking the boot loader last on the list the ez app wont work it says I need root access to lock it is there another way or should i re root and then un root? But how would it be possible if it is re rooted then un rooted because at the end of the process after i odin the stock non root back i will not be able to access the menu to do a factory reset or anything

How do I check if my boot loader is locked?

Please help

FOLLOW SECTION 6 TO THE T AND YOU WONT HAVE ANY TROUBLES. DO NOT skip parts of it, follow ALL STEPS!!! going back to stock via odin locks bootloader, you wipe data factory reset from stock recovery. pay attention to the details!!
3rd September 2012, 06:07 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Land of Oz

987 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidstyle

going back to stock via odin locks bootloader, you wipe data factory reset from stock recovery. pay attention to the details!!

It does? I'll remove the re locking part then.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian Gove For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd September 2012, 06:32 PM   |  #10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Fort Wayne

6,191 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Gove

It does? I'll remove the re locking part then.

yes because the stock odin package has the secure aboot.img. the relock function on the ez unlock app is pointless. the only time the bootloader should be locked is when flashing back to stock.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to droidstyle For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread