[ Tutorial ] How to Install Debian Linux on Your Samsung Galaxy Fit

Search This thread

riddz17

Jun 25, 2011
kolkata
I placed these lines in install.sh and deleted the 3 original lines that looked similar to it. I still got messages about mount, but these are a bit different:

# sh install.sh
Remounting /system rw ...
mount: No such file or directory
Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory
Installing scripts in /system/bin ...
Mounting the Linux image ...
Mounting: Prepwork ...
Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory
Mounting: Loopback mount ...
mknod: /dev/block/loop254: File exists
mount: Invalid argument
Mounting: Setting up chroot environment ...
mkdir failed for /data/local/mnt/media/sdcard, No such file or directory
[ Done ]
Customizing the image ...
install.sh: cannot create /data/local/mnt/etc/resolv.conf: directory nonexistent
install.sh: cannot create /data/local/mnt/etc/resolv.conf: directory nonexistent
Installing root-scripts ...
mkdir failed for /data/local/mnt/root/scripts, No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /data/local/mnt/root/scripts: No such file or directory
cp: can't create '/data/local/mnt/root/scripts/ssh.sh': No such file or directory
cp: can't create '/data/local/mnt/root/scripts/vnc.sh': No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /data/local/mnt/root/scripts/*: No such file or directory
Install finished

1. I think instead of looking just for command mistakes make sure you downloaded the right version of Linux OS and copied it to the SD Card without any sub-directory.

2. cd /sdcard/linux is the cd directory correct please check!

3. Use busybox prefix if you are using BusyBox (don't think its required)

4. Galaxy S is capable of running ubuntu(some versions only) but give debian a try first.

Thank You :)

Last edited:

riddz17

Jun 25, 2011
kolkata
I have some issues about installing it.I tried it with XXKPI 2.3.4 on my Fit but it only caused my phone to give me bunch of error codes on the terminal and my phone started to not dedecting sdcard and sometimes it doesnt mount on computer.I have SdCard issues.I have edited all the mount codes in fsrw,linux and install.sh (by typing a busybox like busybox mount -o)but still have problems.I have installed XXKPI in 4 Part inst. with Odin and wiped the device before and after the installation and after the Odin inst. i rooted it with UnlockRoot v 2.2.1 so it is rooted.Done a binary update on SU and installed BusyBox 1.9.3 because newer versions are incompatible with my phone.This is my last terminal session(all included)
Code:
$ su
# cd /sdcard/linux
# sh install.sh
Remounting /system rw ...
mount: mounting /dev/stl12 on rfs failed: No such file or directory
Installing scripts in /system/bin ...
Mounting the Linux image ...
Mounting: Prepwork ...
Mounting: Loopback mount ...
mount: Invalid argument
Mounting: Setting up chroot environment ...
mount: mounting /dev on /data/local/mnt/dev failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting devpts on /data/local/mnt/dev/pts failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting /proc on /data/local/mnt/proc failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting /sys on /data/local/mnt/sys failed: No such file or directory
mkdir failed for /data/local/mnt/media/sdcard, No such file or directory
mount: mounting /mnt/sdcard on /data/local/mnt/media/sdcard failed: No such file or directory
        [ Done ]
Customizing the image ...
  Installing root-scripts ...
mkdir failed for /data/local/mnt/root/scripts, No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /data/local/mnt/root/scripts: No such file or directory
cp: can't create '/data/local/mnt/root/scripts/ssh.sh': No such file or directory
cp: can't create '/data/local/mnt/root/scripts/vnc.sh': No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /data/local/mnt/root/scripts/*: No such file or directory
Install finished
#

So what can i do about it?I want to install Debian 6.0 so much and i am getting impatient about it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Sorry for my English if i have mistakes.

Consider the following things-

1. You will only be able to install Debian and NOT Ubuntu.

2. Make sure your Kernel version is updated.(The CM7 or greater Kernel is best for it I feel).

3, Make sure you copied the folder directly to the SD Card and not in a sub-folder after extracting.

4. Follow all other steps, I think it will work fine.

Hope this helps you :cowboy:

riddz17

Jun 25, 2011
kolkata
I managed to install debian and in terminal mode, i cannot install anything, i get the error about "ldconfig" when installing xterm
dpkg: warning: 'ldconfig' not fount in PATH or not executable
the same with 'start-stop-daemon'

can you help me? i wish to install a terminal like xterm inside debian and some other app

Regards,

try to run update command & then try to install an app (Only supported by the Debian version) .Your device must be connected by 3G or WiFi.

Thank u :)

ExYq

Feb 8, 2013
Consider the following things-

1. You will only be able to install Debian and NOT Ubuntu.

2. Make sure your Kernel version is updated.(The CM7 or greater Kernel is best for it I feel).

3, Make sure you copied the folder directly to the SD Card and not in a sub-folder after extracting.

4. Follow all other steps, I think it will work fine.

Hope this helps you :cowboy:

Well it was all the same as you said. Probably its caused by the busybox. It didnt install at the first but i done that one by one. Now i use SL(i9003) but in one week i'll start using my old fit. Until then, thanx for the reply. I'll double-check then.

Sent from my GT-i9003

Mr.trololol

Aug 24, 2012
Lagos
Xiaomi Mi 4
Xiaomi Poco F1
No gui

This is a Tutorial to install Ubuntu/Debian in any Android mobile.

* Installing Ubuntu or Debian Linux does not format your Android OS or change anything to your phone.
The Operating Systems run over the underlying Android OS which continues to function as normal :)

Choosing your Linux OS:

Pre-Requirements:

Hardware Required:

an Android Phone

SD Card with more than 2GB of free Space

Android root environment:

Most important! Your Android device should be “rooted” because you need root access to run Ubuntu/Debian off your Android. If your device is not rooted you have to root your device.

Procedure ----------------------------------------------->

After a successful connection to host you will be able to use Ubuntu / Debian in graphical interface just like in your PC ! It will keep your Android OS as it is and just run in the upper layer over it :)

Linux vs Linux Terminal Emulator :

Terminal Emulator only Emulates Linux terminal, but after Linux Installation you can get full features; more than just the limited commands which runs on Android shell rather than Linux Shell.

Please Leave your Feedback and Queries below. Thank You :)

coollogo_com-83173362.png

sucessfully installed debian squeez in my galaxy y duos but iam not able to use it in gui as you mentioned
how can i use debian in gui

Mr.trololol

Aug 24, 2012
Lagos
Xiaomi Mi 4
Xiaomi Poco F1
How did you installed it on galaxy y duos i I'm trying from along time but it failed I tried many methods but always fail

just follow instructions given in this thread,and if u get any mount related problem just delete mount file from /system/bin and retry ,then the script use busybox mount command and you are done.
note: you must have busybox installed.
one more thing use vnc for gui,
connect bot did not give me any gui.

Last edited:

johnty.love

Aug 9, 2014
kali linux error while installation

Am getting "making new disk image (4095) fail"error in my note 2.....i have 7 gb free space on my sd and memory card :crying:plzz help me ...thankzz in advance. ..!

frank3805

Jun 25, 2012
Debian Wheezy .img which one?

Hi. You've used a custom image of Debian or just a regular image and the scripts included in the file do the rest? I was thinking about using a lxde iso (armhf) from Debian and convert it to .img and add the scripts within the linux file to install Wheezy. Do you think it would work or I should use your image and modify sources.list to upgrade to Wheezy after install? Or better idea? Which Debian iso would you use? Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a Tutorial to install Ubuntu/Debian in any Android mobile.

* Installing Ubuntu or Debian Linux does not format your Android OS or change anything to your phone.
    The Operating Systems run over the underlying Android OS which continues to function as normal :)

Choosing your Linux OS:

There are few things you must be aware of before installing Ubuntu/Debian on youe Android Phone

Ubuntu does not support earlier ARM CPUs like the ones used in the Motorola Cliq. Samsung Galaxy Fit (ARMv6), Samsung Galaxy Y, etc.

( Reason behind this is , Your Android OS Kernel must support loop devices. Most newer Android smartphones/tablets come with this support so we can mount our Ubuntu image as a loop device. If not, you will either have to build your own kernel with support for loop devices or you can try an aftermarket ROM for your phone as most aftermarket ROMs come with support for it. )

You need at least an ARMv7 CPU like the kind found in the Motorola Droid, Samsung Galaxy S,HTC EVO 3D, Sony Experia Play, etc. most newer phones (Hummingbird, Snapdragon, Tegra2, etc.).So you can Install Ubuntu if you have ARMv7 or newer Processor.

If you have ARMV6 or any other moderate Processor don't be sad, because Debian supports the CPU on practically all Android devices, so if you prefer Debian, or you can't run Ubuntu, choose the Debian download link.

* If you're not sure what CPU your device has, look up your device on http://pdadb.net/, click the link under CPU, and read the line for "Supported Instruction Set(s)".

e.g. : My Phone which is a " Samsung Galaxy Fit" uses ARMV6 Instruction Sets.

Galaxy%252520Fit.PNG

Pre-Requirements:

Hardware Required:

an Android Phone

SD Card with more than 2GB of free Space

Android root environment:

Most important! Your Android device should be “rooted” because you need root access to run Ubuntu/Debian off your Android. If your device is not rooted you have to root your device.

Linux Operating System:

Download suitable OS from the following Link:

Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal)

linux.ubuntu-natty.tar.bz2 Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty)

Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

linux.ubuntu-oneiric.tar.bz2 Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric)

Debian 6.0 Squeeze

linux.debian-squeeze.tar.bz2 Debian 6.0 (Squeeze)

Applications Required:

BusyBox Installer

A terminal emulator like Better Terminal Emulator ( Recommended ) or Terminal Emulator.

Optional Apllications:

androidVNC

Or

ConnectBot

Procedure ----------------------------------------------->

Step 1:

(Mount the SD card on your computer.)

Extract the .tar.bz2 file you downloaded to your SD card. You should now have a folder named "linux" on the root of your card.

(Unmount the SD card.)

Open Busybox Installer, and install Busybox.

Open Better Terminal Emulator, and install Better Terminal Emulator.

Step 2:

Open your terminal emulator. (If using ConnectBot, connect to 'local', not 'ssh'.)

Run the following commands:

Code:
    [B]su[/B]

screenshot-1338111602932.png
    screenshot-1338111615305.png

( If Prompt for Superuser Request then allow )

Code:
    cd /sdcard/linux

sh install.sh

dlnVEF2MqWGNUApqp64EHdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0

If you don't see any errors, Linux is now installed.

Step 3:

Open your terminal emulator.

To start a chroot session

Code:
    su

linux

FeFeFcjFRcl9UrM4l3udd9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0
    screenshot-1338111869548.png

To start the SSH server

Code:
    su

linux ssh

screenshot-1338111803398.png

You can then use ConnectBot (SSH: user@localhost) on your device, or any SSH client to connect to your device. See Login Information, below.

To start a VNC session

( Firest you need androidVNC to be installed , then type the following in terminal )
    Code:
    su

linux vnc

screenshot-1340365986598.png

The first time you run VNC, it will prompt you to create a VNC password.

screenshot-1340365995100.png

You can then use androidVNC (host: localhost port: 5901), or any VNC client to connect to your device.

Configure The VNC App as follows:

screenshot-1340366868089.png
    screenshot-1340366928103.png

Note: The default desktop environment is icewm. If you wish to replace it, for example, with LXDE:

Run the following as root in Linux:

Code:
    apt-get autoremove icewm- lxde+

Secure your Log in Password:

Please remember to change these passwords if you are planning on using the SSH server. Malicious people can do Very Bad things to your device if you don't.

There are two accounts included in the images:

root

Password:cheesecake

user

Password:dessert
    After a successful connection to host you will be able to use Ubuntu / Debian in graphical interface just like in your PC ! It will keep your Android OS as it is and just run in the upper layer over it :)

These are some of the screen shots taken from my Samsung Galaxy Fit!

screenshot-1340367400114.png
    screenshot-1340367425624.png
    screenshot-1340367492875.png

screenshot-1340367717276.png
    screenshot-1340367801011.png
    screenshot-1340367816175.png
    Linux vs Linux Terminal Emulator :

Terminal Emulator only Emulates Linux terminal, but after Linux Installation you can get full features; more than just the limited commands which runs on Android shell rather than Linux Shell.

Please Leave your Feedback and Queries below. Thank You :)

coollogo_com-83173362.png

any way to install debian 7.4?

It depends on your phones hardware.. mainly Processor. You may try the ARM images from the following link. ;)

http://www.debian.org/releases/wheezy/debian-installer/