Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

An Android Enthusiast’s Apple iPhone 6 Challenge

The media has gone batty again over Apple “revolutionizing” smartphones. … more

[APP][2.1+] Gidder - Git server for Android

4th September 2012, 10:34 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 11

23 posts
Donate to Me

The project in GutHub: https://github.com/antoniy/gidder

Gidder is a Git server implementation for Android that works on top of a SSH server. Access your code anywhere anytime using your Android device.

Gidder is a unique product in that it combines two very complementary ideas. The distributed version control that Git provides and the mobility of any Android device. As a reasult, you can store your projects safely and conveniently in your pocket device and just as easy access them using any WiFi connection. It doesn't matter if you are on a business trip in a hotel, at the office or at home, you can always sync your work using your Android device.

What's the fun of something if you can't share if with anyone else? That's why Gidder provides multiple users that can access any repository they have permissions to. You might want a colleague to be able to just peek at your code - no worries, Gidder gives you the ability to separate permissions to Pull and Push&Pull permissions. So with a simple click you can assign read-only permission to anyone.

Features:
  • Git server over SSH for accessing your repositories.
  • Support Push, Pull, Fetch and Clone Git operations which is all you need to achieve successful distribution with Git.
  • User management - create, create from contact, edit, delete, activate/deactivate, set/remove permissions to repositories.
  • Repository management - create, edit, delete, activate/deactivate, set/remove permissions for users.
  • Dynamic DNS integration. A convinient way to use the system when working in different WiFi networks and having a different IP on your laptop. By using Dynamic DNS you can easily access a server without worrying if your Git remote have the correct IP for the current WiFi network. Currently supported providers are No-IP and DynDNS.
  • Auto update Dynamic DNS hostname when WiFi is On.
  • Manually update Dynamic DNS with an update button.
  • Autostart/Autostop server on WiFi On/Off.
  • Configure server port.
  • Enable/Disable status bar notifications.
  • Application widget for Start/Stop the server.

Last edited by oliuf4e; 7th March 2014 at 11:57 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to oliuf4e For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th September 2012, 11:43 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Connection problem
Hi!

Must say that it's a great idea! I use git for storing all my document, regardless if I'm using my laptop or office computer. Adding the phone offers true mobility.

However, I'm having problem accessing the server:

~/git/AppData$ git push gidder
Permission denied (password).
fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly

After stopping the server I get the following:

ssh: connect to host 10.10.10.170 port 2222: Connection refused

Which means that I'm talking to the right server. I never get prompted for the password, though. I'm pretty experienced with both ssh and git.

Keep up the good work!
26th September 2012, 11:50 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

23 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholmer

Hi!

Must say that it's a great idea! I use git for storing all my document, regardless if I'm using my laptop or office computer. Adding the phone offers true mobility.

However, I'm having problem accessing the server:

Permission denied (password).

After stopping the server I get the following:

ssh: connect to host 10.10.10.170 port 2222: Connection refused

Which means that I'm talking to the right server. I never get prompted for the password, though. I'm pretty experienced with both ssh and git.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you for your feedback! Can you provide me with additional information (steps to reproduce for example) so I can see if something is going wrong?

~antoniy~
The Following User Says Thank You to oliuf4e For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th September 2012, 12:03 AM   |  #4  

2 posts
Noob
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliuf4e

Thank you for your feedback! Can you provide me with additional information (steps to reproduce for example) so I can see if something is going wrong?

~antoniy~

Quick reply! Thanks!

The problem was completely on my side! My /etc/ssh/ssh_config was configured "PasswordAuthentication no", so it didn't allow password based authentication. I usually use pubkey for my gitrepo, so I didn't know I had that. Do you support pubkey?

I hope that someone could learn from my mistake. I found the problem by trying ssh alone like this:

ssh -v -v -v 10.10.10.170 -p 2222 -l guest
27th September 2012, 12:10 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

23 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholmer

Quick reply! Thanks!

The problem was completely on my side! My /etc/ssh/ssh_config was configured "PasswordAuthentication no", so it didn't allow password based authentication. I usually use pubkey for my gitrepo, so I didn't know I had that. Do you support pubkey?

I hope that someone could learn from my mistake. I found the problem by trying ssh alone like this:

ssh -v -v -v 10.10.10.170 -p 2222 -l guest

I'm glad you solve this issue. Regarding public key authentication support the answer is yes, of course I had this idea but for now I don't have nice and simple way to present this functionality. Because of the fact it's a pure client-side app and there are no back-end servers involved there ain't simple ways (at least to my knowledge) to transfer and manage pub keys for the application. Of course this feature is still in the queue for future implementations.

~antoniy~
4th October 2012, 11:40 PM   |  #6  

2 posts
Thumbs up Good stuff
Definitely a good start and very useful. It did take a bit of work to get going but not too bad... specifically I had to edit my local ~/.ssh/config to allow password auth with the dyndns host and had to do "git push origin master" after cloning the repo locally... but once that was done things worked great.

A couple of feature requests...

1. It would be great if I could set the location of the repo on my device. I have a galaxy tab 2 with a large capacity sdcard, but gidder sets the repo up on internal storage.

2. It would be great to be able to pull up a history of the repo on the device. Just a summary to see where things are at.
5th October 2012, 08:12 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

23 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasnell

Definitely a good start and very useful. It did take a bit of work to get going but not too bad... specifically I had to edit my local ~/.ssh/config to allow password auth with the dyndns host and had to do "git push origin master" after cloning the repo locally... but once that was done things worked great.

A couple of feature requests...

1. It would be great if I could set the location of the repo on my device. I have a galaxy tab 2 with a large capacity sdcard, but gidder sets the repo up on internal storage.

2. It would be great to be able to pull up a history of the repo on the device. Just a summary to see where things are at.

Okay, about the first request - I'll add a configuration option to specify where the repositories should be saved. When I got some time, I'll make it happen.

Regarding the repository browsing on the device - I'm not planning this for now. Don't have much time. You can use Roberto's app AGit to access repository on Gidder and browse the log as a workaround.

~antoniy~
The Following User Says Thank You to oliuf4e For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th October 2012, 08:25 PM   |  #8  
Flag Moscow

5 posts
This app is very interesting! I'll try it tomorrow, but already rated it on gplay. if it realy that app how i think i will donate it
30th October 2012, 11:14 AM   |  #9  
Flag Brookhaven

1 posts
More
Two Feature Request
This is a really awsome app. I've been stalling making it myself since I didn't have the time. It really needs a hotspot mode it isn't hard to implement, and maybe a tasker plugin.

If you need help on this, I wouldn't mind helping I just don't have the time to do it full-time. Since I'm trying to start releasing abunch of apps right now.
11th November 2012, 06:23 PM   |  #10  

3 posts
First off not trying to be an ass, sadly this is how it will come off.

I am not looking for the source code of the app but I am looking for the source code of the gpl components of this app
which must be hosted by the person who created the app upon any form of distribution.

The only way you would have to also release the source code of the app is if you statically linked to the git code or
any other gpl code.

currently from what I can tell you have violated the GPL License and if not corrected with in two weeks of now, I
will report this to the FSF.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
gidder, git, git server
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Android Apps and Games by ThreadRank