Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,957 Members 38,674 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Hotmail/Live Mail setup as ExchangeActiveSync works w/stock Email App (edit:7-1-13)

Tip us?

mpgrimm2
Old
(Last edited by mpgrimm2; 1st July 2013 at 09:31 AM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 1,104
Default Hotmail/Live Mail setup as ExchangeActiveSync works w/stock Email App (edit:7-1-13)

For those of you who aren't entirely committed to one email service like myself (Gmail is great also) or just need to maintain that Hotmail address you've had forever, here you go...
SDXversion of this thread

You can now setup Hotmail/Live/MSN Mail for push notifications and folder/calendar/contact sync using the Exchange Active Sync (EAS) Service and it works with stock "Email" Client. There is a dedicated Hotmail app for android, but I want all my Email in one place, and K9 Mail doesn't support EAS 2010 WebDav, which appears to be what the hotmail server is using. Not sure about Gmail app.

(7-1-13) Thanks to amardeshbd and WinuxUser for pointing out the details for the recent 2-step authentication changes -----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by amardeshbd View Post
Two-step authentication has to be disabled before adding outlook/hotmail account.
For the people who have 2-step authentication enabled, your credentials will not work. make sure you disable and try again
(Source: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3&postcount=25)

OR, you need to create app specific password for each device
- follow http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...p-verification
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the link and the info:
How to setup Hotmail on Android Phones http://windowslivehelp.com/solution....3-e3a6ba15e2f8
edit: MS killed the detailed instructions link so that you'd be redirected to the hotmail/seven app, but this still works for now!

Instructions for default mail client

Account settings and their level of support will vary across Android phones. While the steps to configure push email with synced contacts and calendar will vary, we have found these steps to work across a number of phones:

1. Select Email client on phone.
2. Press menu and select Add account
3. Enter full Hotmail address: e.g. (username@hotmail.com) or (username@outlook.com)
4. Enter password
5. Select Manual setup
6. Select Exchange when prompted for “What type of account is this?”
7. Domain/Username, enter full Hotmail address: e.g. (username@hotmail.com).
Note: If the device only says “Domain”, it should be left blank.
If the device says “Username”, then enter the full Hotmail address.
(On some devices, the Domain/Username may be pre-populated incorrectly and should be erased.)
8. Type in password. (may already be filled in)
9. Server name. Enter: m.hotmail.com for server name.
(Note: this field may be pre-populated incorrectly depending on device, ie outlook.com).
10. Make sure box Use secure connection (SSL) is checked.
11. Select Next
12. Select desired account options for inbox checking frequency, number of days to synchronize, send email by default, notifications and contacts/calendar sync. Select Next.
13. Depending on device you may be prompted for account color and account name (e.g. “Hotmail”)
14. Select Next and your Hotmail is set-up and ready to go!

Yea, I still like MS. Win7 MediaCenter Multi QAM Tuner, Remote Potato & Remote Media Ctr android app rock. Don't hate me for it.

Edit: Don't forget to check out: New Official MS SkyDrive APP for Android

2-13-13: Added screenshots
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hotmail EAS setup 1.jpg
Views:	7198
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	1727922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hotmail EAS setup 2.jpg
Views:	4391
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	1727923  
The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to mpgrimm2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Averell
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgrimm2 View Post
SDXversion of this thread
For those of you who aren't entirely committed to one email service like myself (Gmail is great also) or just need to maintain that Hotmail address you've had forever, here you go...

You can now setup Hotmail/Live/MSN Mail for push notifications and folder/calendar/contact sync using the Exchange Active Sync (EAS) Service and it works with stock "Email" Client. There is a dedicated Hotmail app for android, but I want all my Email in one place, and K9 Mail doesn't support EAS 2010 WebDav, which appears to be what the hotmail server is using. Not sure about Gmail app.

Here is the link and the info:
How to setup Hotmail on Android Phones http://windowslivehelp.com/solution....3-e3a6ba15e2f8
edit: MS killed the detailed instructions link so that you'd be redirected to the hotmail/seven app, but this still works for now!

Instructions for default mail client

Account settings and their level of support will vary across Android phones. While the steps to configure push email with synced contacts and calendar will vary, we have found these steps to work across a number of phones:

1. Select Email client on phone.
2. Press menu and select Add account
3. Enter full Hotmail address: e.g. (email address removed) or (email address removed)
4. Enter password
5. Select Manual setup
6. Select Exchange when prompted for “What type of account is this?”
7. Domain/Username, enter full Hotmail address: e.g. (email address removed).
Note: If the device only says “Domain”, it should be left blank.
If the device says “Username”, then enter the full Hotmail address.

(On some devices, the Domain/Username may be pre-populated incorrectly and should be erased.)
8. Type in password. (may already be filled in)
9. Server name. Enter: m.hotmail.com for server name.
(Note: this field may be pre-populated incorrectly depending on device).
10. Make sure box Use secure connection (SSL) is checked.
11. Select Next
12. Select desired account options for inbox checking frequency, number of days to synchronize, send email by default, notifications and contacts/calendar sync. Select Next.
13. Depending on device you may be prompted for account color and account name (e.g. “Hotmail”)
14. Select Next and your Hotmail is set-up and ready to go!

Yea, I still like MS. Win7 MediaCenter Multi QAM Tuner, Remote Potato & Remote Media Ctr android app rock. Don't hate me for it.
I tried with outlook mailbox but it didn't work.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk 2

mpgrimm2
Old
Thanks Meter 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averell View Post
I tried with outlook mailbox but it didn't work.

What do u mean by "outlook mailbox"? My wife and I have an @msn.com accounts that this works for.

Sent from my "Up all night, Sleep all day" EVO3D!

Averell
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
What do u mean by "outlook mailbox"? My wife and I have an @msn.com accounts that this works for.

I meant @outlook.com mailbox.
I've tried to manually set "server" to "m.outlook.com", but it said "failed to connect". Then tried to change to "m.hotmail.com" >>> ok to connect, but cannot send email.

Also, di you know any free exchange server which supports SMS synchronisation?

Thanks!

mpgrimm2
Old
Thanks Meter 1,104
The outlook .com service is brand new so I'm not sure about it. I would expect that it would use the same m.hotmail.com server and that the rest would be a settings issue but I could be wrong. Haven't seen enough info about it. I copied the settings in the op from Microsoft's site before the killed the link on how to do it. They want you to use their hotmail app which is poor.

As far as exchange SMS, I haven't heard of exchange being used for that let alone a free server.

Averell
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
The outlook .com service is brand new so I'm not sure about it. I would expect that it would use the same m.hotmail.com server and that the rest would be a settings issue but I could be wrong. Haven't seen enough info about it. I copied the settings in the op from Microsoft's site before the killed the link on how to do it. They want you to use their hotmail app which is poor.

As far as exchange SMS, I haven't heard of exchange being used for that let alone a free server.

Thanks.
As I know MS Exchange server 2010 supports SMS sync already. But I've not got a chance to try it yet.

mpgrimm2
Old
Thanks Meter 1,104
If u find anything out please post back and I will get the op updated.

The Following User Says Thank You to mpgrimm2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nation9k
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default Outlook.com works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averell View Post
I meant @outlook.com mailbox.
I've tried to manually set "server" to "m.outlook.com", but it said "failed to connect". Then tried to change to "m.hotmail.com" >>> ok to connect, but cannot send email.

Also, di you know any free exchange server which supports SMS synchronisation?

Thanks!

What do you mean, I also have an outlook.com account and it works, just follow the instructions to the letter and use m.hotmail.com nothing else.
The Following User Says Thank You to nation9k For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

B1nny
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 591

DONATE TO ME
Thanks for the guide man! Shared it on my Facebook, hopefully it will help some people!
"However, if you put any trust in Benchmark Scores you could use them
to prove that dancing naked for 5 minutes in your garden affects device performance" - Chainfire
The Following User Says Thank You to B1nny For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scarface.717
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Awesome, it Works for me.. Thanks!

Tags
email, exchange, hotmail, ms live