Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,304 Members 41,278 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ Tutotrial ] Install either Ubuntu or Debian in any Android Phone without any app

Tip us?

riddz17
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Prompt [ Tutotrial ] Install either Ubuntu or Debian in any Android Phone without any app

This is a Tutorial to install either Ubuntu or Debian in any Android mobile without using any app

Quote:

* Installing Ubuntu or Debian Linux does not format your Android OS or change anything to your phone.
The Operating Systems run over the underlying Android OS which continues to function as normal

Choosing your Linux OS:

Quote:
There are few things you must be aware of before installing Ubuntu/Debian on youe Android Phone

Ubuntu does not support earlier ARM CPUs like the ones used in the Motorola Cliq. Samsung Galaxy Fit (ARMv6), Samsung Galaxy Y, etc.

( Reason behind this is , Your Android OS Kernel must support loop devices. Most newer Android smartphones/tablets come with this support so we can mount our Ubuntu image as a loop device. If not, you will either have to build your own kernel with support for loop devices or you can try an aftermarket ROM for your phone as most aftermarket ROMs come with support for it. )

You need at least an ARMv7 CPU like the kind found in the Motorola Droid, Samsung Galaxy S,HTC EVO 3D, Sony Experia Play, etc. most newer phones (Hummingbird, Snapdragon, Tegra2, etc.).So you can Install Ubuntu if you have ARMv7 or newer Processor.

If you have ARMV6 or any other moderate Processor don't be sad, because Debian supports the CPU on practically all Android devices, so if you prefer Debian, or you can't run Ubuntu, choose the Debian download link.

* If you're not sure what CPU your device has, look up your device on http://pdadb.net/, click the link under CPU, and read the line for "Supported Instruction Set(s)".

e.g. : My Phone which is a " Samsung Galaxy Fit" uses ARMV6 Instruction Sets.

Pre-Requirements:

Hardware Required:

an Android Phone

SD Card with more than 2GB of free Space

Android root environment:

Most important! Your Android device should be “rooted” because you need root access to run Ubuntu/Debian off your Android. If your device is not rooted you have to root your device.

Quote:
Linux Operating System:

Download suitable OS from the following Link:

Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal)

linux.ubuntu-natty.tar.bz2 Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty)

Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

linux.ubuntu-oneiric.tar.bz2 Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric)

Debian 6.0 Squeeze

linux.debian-squeeze.tar.bz2 Debian 6.0 (Squeeze)
Quote:
Applications Required:

BusyBox Installer

A terminal emulator like Better Terminal Emulator ( Recommended ) or Terminal Emulator.

Optional Apllications:

androidVNC

Or

ConnectBot

Procedure ----------------------------------------------->

Quote:
Step 1:

(Mount the SD card on your computer.)

Extract the .tar.bz2 file you downloaded to your SD card. You should now have a folder named "linux" on the root of your card.

(Unmount the SD card.)

Open Busybox Installer, and install Busybox.

Open Better Terminal Emulator, and install Better Terminal Emulator.

Quote:
Step 2:

Open your terminal emulator. (If using ConnectBot, connect to 'local', not 'ssh'.)

Run the following commands:

Code:
Select Code
su

( If Prompt for Superuser Request then allow )

Code:
Select Code
cd /sdcard/linux

sh install.sh

If you don't see any errors, Linux is now installed.

Quote:
Step 3:

Open your terminal emulator.

To start a chroot session

Code:
Select Code
su

linux

To start the SSH server

Code:
Select Code
su

linux ssh

You can then use ConnectBot (SSH: user@localhost) on your device, or any SSH client to connect to your device. See Login Information, below.

Quote:
To start a VNC session

( Firest you need androidVNC to be installed , then type the following in terminal )
Quote:

Code:
Select Code
su

linux vnc

The first time you run VNC, it will prompt you to create a VNC password.

You can then use androidVNC (host: localhost port: 5901), or any VNC client to connect to your device.

Configure The VNC App as follows:

Note: The default desktop environment is icewm. If you wish to replace it, for example, with LXDE:

Run the following as root in Linux:

Code:
Select Code
apt-get autoremove icewm- lxde+

Secure your Log in Password:

Please remember to change these passwords if you are planning on using the SSH server. Malicious people can do Very Bad things to your device if you don't.

There are two accounts included in the images:

root

Password:cheesecake

user

Password:dessert
After a successful connection to host you will be able to use Ubuntu / Debian in graphical interface just like in your PC ! It will keep your Android OS as it is and just run in the upper layer over it

Quote:
These are some of the screen shots taken from my Samsung Galaxy Fit!

Linux vs Linux Terminal Emulator :

Terminal Emulator only Emulates Linux terminal, but after Linux Installation you can get full features; more than just the limited commands which runs on Android shell rather than Linux Shell.

Please Leave your Feedback and Queries below. Thank You

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to riddz17 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

G.Galante
Old
Thanks Meter 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddz17 View Post
This is a Tutorial to install either Ubuntu or Debian in any Android mobile without using any app
Nice, i have tried for my Galaxy Ace so with ARM V6 too, but the terminal emulator gave me error in the step 3 and 4
The Following User Says Thank You to G.Galante For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PREMOLIKES
Old
Thanks Meter 97
error not working
SHINE ON YOU CRAZY DIAMOND

wisewood
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I'm getting about a dozen errors in the install process, all of which seem to relate to file permissions.

riddz17
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Galante View Post
Nice, i have tried for my Galaxy Ace so with ARM V6 too, but the terminal emulator gave me error in the step 3 and 4
what kind of error could you please specify??

First of all check is your phone rooted?
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
The Following User Says Thank You to riddz17 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

swordfish
Old
Thanks Meter 22
when I type su
sh install.sh
there are many error like dir.. not found help me...

Sent from my HTC Explorer A310e using xda app-developers app

dantegl36
Old
(Last edited by dantegl36; 9th December 2012 at 06:29 PM.)
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sateesh907 View Post
when I type su
sh install.sh
there are many error like dir.. not found help me...

Sent from my HTC Explorer A310e using xda app-developers app
worked for me. I tried to install from the microsd card (sdcard-ext) but i got errors. Once i moved the files to the phones memory (sdcard) it worked like a charm.

note: I am using Debian 6.0 Squeeze
AT&T HTC One X+
The Following User Says Thank You to dantegl36 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ivke101
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1355388743434.jpg
Views:	4209
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1559597  

scientist343
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivke101 View Post
Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
I get the same error. Anyone know how to fix it?

mundui007
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default hey guys

Thanx to the author of this forum on debian on android. I had the same problem you see in the error logs above. the problem is between regular "mount" command and busybox "mount". you need to use the busybox mount. so I added the word busybox infront of every mount word in the script. eg. busybox mount -o , rw /system remount. the alternative is to delete the mount found on /system/bin so that the terminal will use the busybox one automatically on /system/xbin.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mundui007 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
install ubuntu/debian, linux