Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,912 Members 40,981 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Super Simple 5 minutes Wireless Charging Mod for Samsung SG3

Tip us?

fr8cture
Old
Thanks Meter 110

DONATE TO ME
Ahh I see, not worth it to me, I use my phone while charging a lot.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium
Verizon LG G2 - Paranoid Android 3.99 - Nova Launcher
Thanks to all developers for devoting time into developing Roms/Kernels!
Flip Phone > Blackberry Storm (Broke) > Samsung Reality (Broke) > iPhone 4 (Sold) > Galaxy S III (Sold) > Nexus 4 (Sold) > LG G2

Kev13Dd
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by android94301 View Post
That would work, although with slightly stronger magnets like what I used, my phone has a Rock Case on it, and everything works right thru the back cover and the Rock Case.
Glad to hear this works through the Rock case!

I already had all the parts you listed in the mail before you started this thread, and my biggest two worries were:

1. Slight bulge from coil might prevent Rock case from fitting
2. Rock case will prevent this from charging

Great to know neither of these will be a problem!

K

TheMorlince
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by android94301 View Post
Hi,

I just tested it with Smart Compass, and it seems to work. How many people use a compass app anyway? Don't most use GPS, which isn't affected by the small magnets.

In terms of NFC, I haven't tried NFC, so I don't know. But other's who've used the same system don't have problems with NFC. You could always mount the coil lower, so it wasn't near the NFC chip.

I don't understand the question about the phone needing to stay on the Touchstone. How is that different from the phone needing to be plugged in while charging? The major advantage of this mod is that a) it's way cheap and way cool, and b) you won't wear out the micro usb port plugging in and out. Also, I find it much more convenient to just lay my phone down on the charger whenever I am not using it, so it's always fully charged.
Last time i checked the 'magnets' in the palm pixi cover are not magnets but small pieces of metal. The magnets are in the pixi charging pad. I did this mod a long time ago and just used some really really small wires to complete the connection, i have been meaning to buy the copper tape but, lazy.
/\\/\\orlince

shojus
Old
Thanks Meter 399
Nice mod!! If you could post a vid of a tutorial that would be sweet!??? I have always been the type to learn the best by watching it in action... Great job though!!
Current Devices:

HTC One (M8) on Verizon **S-Off**
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon **rooted w/ safestrap**
OnePlus One on prepaid **rooted & unlocked** (yes it has a yellow screen!)

Incoming: Verizon LG G3

** Donate to your favorite Devs! They have made your device worth using! **

android94301
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlince View Post
Last time i checked the 'magnets' in the palm pixi cover are not magnets but small pieces of metal. The magnets are in the pixi charging pad. I did this mod a long time ago and just used some really really small wires to complete the connection, i have been meaning to buy the copper tape but, lazy.
No, they are small and thin neodymium magnets. What phone did you do it on "a long time ago"?

nsmal24
Old
Thanks Meter 99
Default Ordered

Just ordered the parts. Touchstones for $3.50 and back covers for $3. Makes me sad though to see how Palm has fallen. My wife had a Pre Plus and touchstone and we both loved that phone. Probably would have bought a Pre 3 if they had ever come to market. Got 2 touchstones so I can have one at work. I will most likely epoxy the components to the battery cover since new battery covers are like $5. Should hold up better than Scotch tape over time.

Will report back when I get it all working.

android94301
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmal24 View Post
Just ordered the parts. Touchstones for $3.50 and back covers for $3. Makes me sad though to see how Palm has fallen. My wife had a Pre Plus and touchstone and we both loved that phone. Probably would have bought a Pre 3 if they had ever come to market. Got 2 touchstones so I can have one at work. I will most likely epoxy the components to the battery cover since new battery covers are like $5. Should hold up better than Scotch tape over time.

Will report back when I get it all working.
That's a good idea, maybe I will have two covers, one with wireless charging for most of the time, and maybe one plain one for travel, etc.You might want to play around with it a little first, using scotch tape, check out NFC, etc, before you commit to gluing it all down.

arglmr
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Can you post a video that would be really cool

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to arglmr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Lock-N-Load
Old
Thanks Meter 268
F***ing brilliant

For those looking to glue & not use tape just use silicon as it is easy to remove with no damage if needed but more stout than tape
/** SGS3 (rooted & stock ROM) **/
/** TF201 (rooted, unlocked & CROMBi-kk ROM) **/
/** OG Droid (rooted & OC'd & all hacked up) **/
/** Want TF201 Ad Hoc WiFi under ICS?? I SOLVED IT! - Asus fixed it **/

ECrispy
Old
Thanks Meter 202
This is awesome, thanks! The cover fits after gluing all that extra stuff without a problem, right? And how fast is the wireless charging?

Tags
palm, touchstone, wireless charging