Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[ROOT] [STOCK ROM, KERNEL] [ROOTED ROM] Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2 NA(US) YP-GI1CB/XAA

OP alice90

13th September 2012, 09:32 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 55

100 posts
Congratulation to all who's been waiting for this!

First things first! Be careful, I'm not to blame if you brick your device.

WARNING - See the second post for reported problems

This ROMs are for the North American aka US devices (YP-GI1CB), if you have an international device (YP-GI1CW), you should go to this thread which was created by our good friend zebluk. Also there is a wonderful tutorial how to flash the rooted image in that thread, so you can follow it (but use the image from this thread). All credits to zebluk!

So..
-------------

When downloading from the mirrors, be warned, I have not checked them, you should check their integrity by calculating their sha1 hashes and comparing with ones I am providing for each file.

Here is the PIT file.

Here is the STOCK FACTORYFS ROM (size: ~260 MiB, sha1: 709ea3a1594fe4776065308a198e120129652b38)
Mirrors:

Mirror by ECLK09 (password: XDA-DEV)

Here is the STOCK KERNEL (size ~5.2 MiB): sha1: 25235a0ed6ad42cab1743b8f1c141248efb25647)
Mirrors:

-------------

And here is the ROOTED STOCK ROM (size: ~260 MiB, sha1: 64ec57e6254b3c24ad7740b0c2bcad3a6e4bd26c)
Mirrors:

-------------

Password for all the 7zip archives: XDA-DEV

First you should un-7zip your downloaded file, there you will have directoriy with a descriptive name and a tarball archive inside.
You can flash these tarball (without extracting) using Odin v3.04 (Attached) or extract the image file from the tarball archive and flash using Heimdall v1.3.1 (don't use the 1.3.2 version). I've personally tried flashing only with Heimdall under Linux, but Odin should work too.

If you are using Windows and you don't have device drivers, download them from here.

@Good Guy User:
DepositFiles is not the best filesharing service but works well for me, feel free to create mirrors and share links in PM, I'll post them here.

Greetz to: Entropy512 for showing the correct road, zebluk for help and advices, baruch6132 for flashing my untested rooted kernel and dumping the factoryfs, zaclimon and baladev for helping, Benjamin Dobell and Glass Echidna for Heimdall, jazzor for ext4_utils, William Enck for split_bootimg.pl, ECLK09 for providing mirrors for uploaded files, Green Day for being awesome, all who have helped or held breath for this, and to you!
Attached Files
File Type: rar Odin Flasher v3.04.rar - [Click for QR Code] (411.2 KB, 2029 views)
Last edited by alice90; 30th September 2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Added the PIT file
The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to alice90 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th September 2012, 09:32 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

100 posts
Possible problems and workarounds
There are reported cases when the wi-fi stopped working after flashing the rooted factoryfs. And there are two reported solutions:
1. Backup the contents of /system/etc/wifi before flashing to restore them after flashing if you experinece the wi-fi problem. (This is the recommended way)
2. Flash the kernel.

---------------------------------
Added:

As it turned out in the International version (YP-GI1CW) thread, the highly possible reason for this is that there are slightly different versions of the devices. The full code of my device is YP-GI1CB/XAA. If your version is not the XAA (there is, for example, YP-GI1CB/XEG), just backup the contents of your /system/etc/wifi directory before flashing, then rewrite them back if you lose wifi after rooting.
Last edited by alice90; 23rd September 2012 at 02:31 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alice90 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th September 2012, 08:01 AM   |  #3  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 78

216 posts
More
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I'm having trouble figuring out which version to use. I bought my device in the US from a retail store, so I'm assuming it's the US version, but my model number (both under the battery and in the "About Device" section) just says "YP-GI1". The android version is 2.3.6, and kernel is 2.6.35.7-CL1. Any ideas on how to find out if this is a CB or CW device?

Thanks a ton
15th September 2012, 06:16 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

100 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf1

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I'm having trouble figuring out which version to use. I bought my device in the US from a retail store, so I'm assuming it's the US version, but my model number (both under the battery and in the "About Device" section) just says "YP-GI1". The android version is 2.3.6, and kernel is 2.6.35.7-CL1. Any ideas on how to find out if this is a CB or CW device?

Thanks a ton

I'm pretty sure that it's the US version YP-GI1CB.
18th September 2012, 02:55 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

100 posts
Info 2
There are two reported cases when the wifi stopped working after flashing the rooted factosyfs.

Please report if you have successfully flashed and rooted without problems, so we can know if those two cases were exceptions due to some still unknown reason or there is a real problem. Thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to alice90 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th September 2012, 05:22 AM   |  #6  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 78

216 posts
More
I'm an idiot--found the model number and it is indeed a US device. I'd like to download this and root it, but now I'm worried about the wifi issue. Any new reports?
19th September 2012, 06:32 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 1

17 posts
Smile Root successful, everything works fine
This is the first time I have rooted using Odin. I followed the instructions on the 4.2 Int. rooting page linked in the top (this is the US version, and I did use the files on this thread). Everything works great, wifi included. I installed AdAway and removed all of the Samsung bloat. Sorry about the pic quality, my nexus 7 vga camera is all that I have near me lol.

Last edited by sedelman; 19th September 2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: aesthetics
21st September 2012, 01:33 AM   |  #8  
Flag Maturin
Thanks Meter: 43

69 posts
More
Hi, could you help me please! This is the firs time for my rooting a SGP 4.2. Can I root it using windows 7? I'm now downloading all the files attached by alice, but (here's the problem) I don't know what I should do with its.
21st September 2012, 06:03 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 1

17 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBoutto

Hi, could you help me please! This is the firs time for my rooting a SGP 4.2. Can I root it using windows 7? I'm now downloading all the files attached by alice, but (here's the problem) I don't know what I should do with its.

Follow the tutorial here (but use the ROM in this thread). It's how I did it. This was my first time using this method as well. The only file you need is the modified (aka rooted) ROM. Works great.
Last edited by sedelman; 21st September 2012 at 06:27 AM.
21st September 2012, 06:34 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 4

40 posts
EDIT: NM I still had a nexus 7 tar in the same directory that I confused. Please ignore and thanks to all who got this root to work. Cant wait to we have kernels and such that support voodoo sound.
Last edited by potentiality; 21st September 2012 at 07:31 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
galaxy player 4.2, yp-gi1, yp-gi1cb
Previous Thread Next Thread