Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,501 Members 48,690 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean [No Flashing, No Rooting Required]

Tip us?

cozanostra
Old
(Last edited by cozanostra; 20th September 2012 at 05:55 AM.) Reason: update
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22

DONATE TO ME
Phone Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean [No Flashing, No Rooting Required]

This is to confirm that I managed to install the most recent OTA JB leak from my out-of-the-box Bell Galaxy S3, without having to flash anything, no CWR, no rooting required. Also didn't have to wipe any data or factory reset, after the update all my apps and data were in order as if I did a Kies update.

This is all you need to do - keep in mind this only works for UNROOTED stock Bell firmare (I747MVLALH) cannot by any means guarantee results for any other carrier/version.
  1. Download latest OTA leak here
  2. Save zip file to EXTERNAL SD CARD of your phone, do not unzip or rename.
  3. Boot phone in stock recovery (Turn off phone & start up by holding down Volume Up+Home+Power, let go when the Samsung logo appears)
  4. From Recovery menu select ->Wipe cache partition (this step, if ignored may be the reason why this didn't work for other users)
  5. From Recovery menu select ->Apply update from external storage->select zip file you saved on external SD earlier and let the phone do its thing. It will take a few minutes before the slider bar shows up so don't panic thinking that its not working, in my case the upgrading process took about 15min
  6. Restart phone, and enjoy JB!

All apps and data were still there, no need to reconfigure anything. Flash counter did not get tripped, ROM still shows as "Samsung Official".

Bell TV app still works, which means that Bell still recognizes the phone, however KIES does not, so for upcoming official OTA update you will need to revert back to stock ROM.

Google Now works great, the speech recognition is almost flawless, has recognized everything I said and I have a pretty thick accent in English. To get it working, you just need to update Google Voice search, for me the update request showed up automatically.

As far as bugs, only thing I found so far is WiFi tethering will only work when set as open (no password) and grey notifications bar (which may be just part of design). Some people reported issues with music player but its working fine for me.

As for performance, I find that apps open with zero lag, I did find some choppiness when scrolling lists in certain applications and websites. See attached quadrant result.

For those who try it please post experience and other issues/bugs that may be there.

Update: To enable voice response from Google Now, download this from Play Store, then select US English language, thats it!(credits to DEEZENUTSZ)

Update: some users reported GPS inaccuracies, this can be resolved by clearing cache data for the maps application. Mine works great so far.

Update: ***IMPORTANT PLS READ*** All app related issues reported by users in this thread (GPS, maps, bluetooth, music player etc) are resolved by clearing cache and data for each app. Alternatively, you can do a factory reset and it will take care of every app issue and force closes. Again, the above method works only for STOCK UNROOTED Bell ROM, any other ROM would require ODIN flashing and/or flashing stock Bell ROM first. I will no longer reply to issues that have already been discussed, so before you start firing your negativity bombs, please take the time to carefully read this step-by=step guide and all the updates I added. Oh, and don't forget to thank me once in a while

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to cozanostra For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MagicMan3
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozanostra View Post
This is to confirm that I managed to install the most recent OTA JB leak from my out-of-the-box Bell Galaxy S3, without having to flash anything, no CWR, no rooting required. Also didn't have to wipe any data or factory reset, after the update all my apps and data were in order as if I did a Kies update.

This is all you need to do - keep in mind this only works for stock Bell firmare (I747MVLALH) cannot by any means guarantee results for any other carrier/version.
  1. Download latest OTA leak here
  2. Save zip file to EXTERNAL SD CARD of your phone, do not unzip or rename.
  3. Boot phone in stock recovery (Turn off phone & start up by holding down Volume Up+Home+Power, let go when the Samsung logo appears)
  4. From Recovery menu select ->Wipe cache partition (this step, if ignored may be the reason why this didn't work for other users)
  5. From Recovery menu select ->Apply update from external storage->select zip file you saved on external SD earlier and let the phone do its thing. It will take a few minutes before the slider bar shows up so don't panic thinking that its not working, in my case the upgrading process took about 15min
  6. Restart phone, and enjoy JB!

All apps and data were still there, no need to reconfigure anything

Bell TV app still works, which means that Bell still recognizes the phone, however KIES does not, so for upcoming official OTA update you will need to revert back to stock ROM.

Google Now works great, the speech recognition is almost flawless, has recognized everything I said and I have a pretty thick accent in English. To get it working, you just need to update Google Voice search, for me the update request showed up automatically.

As far as bugs, only thing I found so far is WiFi tethering will only work when set as open (no password) and grey notifications bar (which may be just part of design). Some people reported issues with music player but its working fine for me.

As for performance, I find that apps open with zero lag, I did find some choppiness when scrolling lists in certain applications and websites.

For those who try it please post experience and other issues/bugs that may be there.
Thanks for the info. I'm on stock rooted, will this work or do I have to revert to the non-rooted? If it works with stocked rooted will I lose root?
Laptop: Samsung Series 9 Ultrabook - w/Core i5-3317u, 4GB DDR3, Crucial M4 256Gb SSD & w/Win7 x64
Mobile: Bell Galaxy S3
Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9LTE
NAS: 2 x QNap Ts-419P+ w/4 x 4TB Hitachi Deskstar's in Raid 5

I'm a phone junkie, since June 2011 - HTC Diamond, Nexus1, Desire HD, Motorola Atrix, Samsung s2, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note, SGS3. Next = Gnote2

cozanostra
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMan3 View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm on stock rooted, will this work or do I have to revert to the non-rooted? If it works with stocked rooted will I lose root?
I believe you will loose root, so maybe better off reverting it before you apply update

MagicMan3
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
I believe you will loose root, so maybe better off reverting it before you apply update
Is there a way to root this one without tripping the flash counter?
Laptop: Samsung Series 9 Ultrabook - w/Core i5-3317u, 4GB DDR3, Crucial M4 256Gb SSD & w/Win7 x64

I'm a phone junkie, since June 2011 - HTC Diamond, Nexus1, Desire HD, Motorola Atrix, Samsung s2, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note, SGS3. Next = Gnote2

cozanostra
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Is there a way to root this one without tripping the flash counter?
Just went in download mode to check, and surprisingly the counter was not tripped, more specifically:

Custom Binary Download: No
Current Binary: Samsung Official
System Status: Official

MagicMan3
Old
(Last edited by MagicMan3; 14th September 2012 at 05:29 PM.)
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Just went in download mode to check, and surprisingly the counter was not tripped, more specifically:

Custom Binary Download: No
Current Binary: Samsung Official
System Status: Official

You flashed over a rooted rom?

I got error 7 with both rooted stock and just stock.

Odd though, I went into download mode by accident first and System Status showed "custom"... hmm...

cozanostra
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
You flashed over a rooted rom?

I got error 7 with both rooted stock and just stock.

Odd though, I went into download mode by accident first and it showed "custom"... hmm...
That might be your problem, bring the phone back to its out-of-the-box state. Here's the stock rom: http://www.hotfile.com/dl/170455695/...1_BMC.zip.html

MagicMan3
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
That might be your problem, bring the phone back to its out-of-the-box state. Here's the stock rom: http://www.hotfile.com/dl/170455695/...1_BMC.zip.html
I will try that again.
If it works, how can you root without tripping the counter?

cozanostra
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22

DONATE TO ME
http://forum.xda-developers.com/arch...t-1758914.html

RageATheM
Old
(Last edited by RageATheM; 14th September 2012 at 07:19 PM.) Reason: eBay fix
Thanks Meter 9
I can confirm this works! I'm on stock Bell not rooted and installed the OTA file and worked like a charm. Got 5178 in Quadrant right after update. Seems to be some issue with WidgetLocker not always engaging on the lock. Also the ebay app is constantly stop working so I uninstalled it for the time being. So far loving the changes

UPDATE: I guess eBay recalled the 2.0 update of their app so once I unistalled 2.0 and re-installed from the app store I am no longer having the crashing issues!

The Following User Says Thank You to RageATheM For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]