OP arrrghhh

14th September 2012, 09:35 PM   |  #1  
OP Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 3,645

11,402 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hey all,

If you don't know what TWRP is, basically it's a recovery (like CWM, ClockWorkMod) which allows you to flash .zip's.

Much thanks to Dees_Troy, helicopter88 & bigbiff for helping get TWRP running, and of course thanks to Shabbypenguin for getting everything started on the device tree!

If you would like more information about TWRP, or to donate to their project... please GO HERE!!

Directions:

** You must be unlocked in order to do this.**

2 choices after rooting. You can download GooManager from the Play Store, menu, install OpenRecoveryScript & wait... or:

1. Reboot into fastboot (adb reboot bootloader, or turn off device, hold power + cam when booting and select 'fastboot')
2. Once in fastboot,
Code:
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.2-asanti_c.img
3. Hit power - device turns off. Hold vol up + power, then release power when the screen comes on - continue holding vol up. When you see the moto logo dim a bit, release vol up. You should now be in TWRP!

Official Link

I highly advise the buglist be reviewed!!

Thanks!!
Last edited by arrrghhh; 23rd July 2014 at 07:09 PM.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to arrrghhh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th September 2012, 10:01 PM   |  #2  

11,402 posts
Donate to Me
More
Buglist

• **If you had an old version of TWRP installed before, MAKE SURE you 'Restore Defaults' under 'Settings' in TWRP**
  • USB Mass Storage - does NOT work. See this post
  • Clock is off. Not sure why, seems unfixable.
  • Cannot use physical keyboard to type in Recovery...Obviously the on-screen kb works fine.
Last edited by arrrghhh; 25th February 2013 at 08:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to arrrghhh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th September 2012, 11:24 PM   |  #3  

11,402 posts
Donate to Me
More
Alright! It's uploaded and ready to go. Test it out, let me know folks!
14th September 2012, 11:52 PM   |  #4  
Flag /home/kp
Thanks Meter: 66

274 posts
More
Works great! I used Goomanager

Edit: Works as in installs and boots. Touchscreen works, I have not tested the actual functions as of yet.

Tried to do a backup to external SD, it seems to have done it but after the loading bar finished I got the initial blue and black logo and couldn't get out of it. Had to 3 button reboot. Can't find the backup.
Last edited by KitsunePaws; 15th September 2012 at 12:01 AM.
15th September 2012, 12:01 AM   |  #5  

11,402 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsunePaws

Works great! I used Goomanager

Edit: Works as in installs and boots. Touchscreen works, I have not tested the actual functions as of yet.

Tried to do a backup to external SD, it seems to have done it but after the loading bar finished I got the initial blue and black logo and couldn't get out of it. Had to 3 button reboot. Can't find the backup.

Hrm. I'll look into that... I think I've only done a backup to internal SD as my external is ridiculously full.

Edit - just did a backup of boot to the external, worked just fine. Perhaps wait a bit? How long did you wait, and what were you backing up?

Edit 2 - ok, perhaps I jumped the gun. "Worked" doesn't quite describe it... I have the TWRP folders for the backup, but there's no backup file in there. Strange... Perhaps because I backed up only boot. I'll try again with less junk on the card and do a full backup...
Last edited by arrrghhh; 15th September 2012 at 12:07 AM.
15th September 2012, 12:05 AM   |  #6  
Flag /home/kp

274 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh

Hrm. I'll look into that... I think I've only done a backup to internal SD as my external is ridiculously full.

Edit - just did a backup of boot to the external, worked just fine. Perhaps wait a bit? How long did you wait, and what were you backing up?

Just went with the default settings, I didn't wait that long after the progress bar went away it went back to a team logo, I let it sit for about a minute and then reset it. Trying again.

Ran through it again, it took a while backing up /data. (398 megs). The bar filled all the way up though it still said "... Backing up /data" Sitting at the teamwin logo again, it's been on this image for 4 minutes at this point (Went to the logo at 6:09). ( Now it's blinking. And now it reset. These could have been caused by my touching the screen. I think the logo is getting "stuck" ). Is the progress bar based on a timer or events?

Also, it made the TWRP folder on the internal SD regardless of the fact I told it external. I did notice that the backup path during said "/sdcard" and not "/mnt/external1". The folder does not contain a backup.
Last edited by KitsunePaws; 15th September 2012 at 12:18 AM.
15th September 2012, 12:24 AM   |  #7  

11,402 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsunePaws

Just went with the default settings, I didn't wait that long after the progress bar went away it went back to a team logo, I let it sit for about a minute and then reset it. Trying again.

Ran through it again, it took a while backing up /data. (398 megs). The bar filled all the way up though it still said "... Backing up /data" Sitting at the teamwin logo again, it's been on this image for 4 minutes at this point (Went to the logo at 6:09). ( Now it's blinking. And now it reset. These could have been caused by my touching the screen. I think the logo is getting "stuck" ). Is the progress bar based on a timer or events?

Also, it made the TWRP folder on the internal SD regardless of the fact I told it external. I did notice that the backup path during said "/sdcard" and not "/mnt/external1". The folder does not contain a backup.

Indeed.

I am in the same "stuck" situation as you now. For the meantime, it seems backing up to external SD does NOT work... I tested backup and restore, but only to internal SD. I saw that my external didn't have enough space, and wrote it off as enough... Apologies for not thoroughly testing that.
15th September 2012, 12:26 AM   |  #8  
Flag /home/kp

274 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh

Indeed.

I am in the same "stuck" situation as you now. For the meantime, it seems backing up to external SD does NOT work... I tested backup and restore, but only to internal SD. I saw that my external didn't have enough space, and wrote it off as enough... Apologies for not thoroughly testing that.

No worries, that's what makes XDA the place that it is ^-^. If I expected perfection I would buy an iPh.... couldn't do it with a straight face.
15th September 2012, 02:37 AM   |  #9  

11,402 posts
Donate to Me
More
OK, the issue with external SD should be fixed. However, I don't have the ability to push the changes to GooManager, so you'll have to flash manually until it's updated on GooManager (I'll let you know )

Edit - to be clear, you cannot use GooManager or the official link right now. Please use 'mirror 1' and manually update in order to fix the external SD issue (until it's officially updated).
Last edited by arrrghhh; 15th September 2012 at 02:40 AM.
15th September 2012, 04:43 AM   |  #10  

11,402 posts
Donate to Me
More
Alrighty, Dees_Troy said it is officially updated. I can see the update on the official link - but I'm not sure how on GooManager you update - if you just click 'check for updates'? That seems to only check on ROM updates, but I could be wrong.

Please let me know how it goes! If you experience any issues, etc.

Edit - seems you just do the same as when it was initially installed... Menu -> Install OpenRecoveryScript & wait... then reboot to recovery.

Also, if you notice - TWRP is now 2.2.2.2 - yes, a whole lotta 2's... but that last .2 is the Q!! Congrats, we're official!
Last edited by arrrghhh; 15th September 2012 at 06:09 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread