Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,756 Members 40,982 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Newman N1

Tip us?

kkricardokaka95
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Smile Newman N1

Guys, what can you tell me about the Newman N1? I googled it and I found out that Newman is a Chinese company. It has really high specs(higher than my Nexus S ) . My friend recently bought it, so I thought I'd post here to find out more. I am worried because similar phones with similar specs (Atrix 2 specifically) are almost at double the price. Is the company reliable? Is it worth the money he spent??
The Following User Says Thank You to kkricardokaka95 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wangiles
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I'm getting mine either this week or next. The pre-order is being processed. So, will let you know if it's worth while or worth none.

kkricardokaka95
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangiles View Post
I'm getting mine either this week or next. The pre-order is being processed. So, will let you know if it's worth while or worth none.
Awesome! That would be great! Thanks

wangiles
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Got mine yesterday. Will do a review tonight after 24hrs of use. Stay tuned.

Sent from my Newman N1 using Tapatalk 2

lightingboy
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I got one a couple days ago. I feel impressed at first touch, the quality of assembly is good, it feel firmly.

What I like
1. The design and the dimension is good, not too big thin or thick.
2. The screen solution is good, but the shade of color look bit blue.
3. for gaming, I have tried on Asphalt 6 and Dead trigger, so smooth.
4. Speaker is loud enough to hear and the quality of sound and phone, for me, is acceptable.

What I don't like
1. The screen has white light around the corner of screen, It doesn't make a screen completely black as It should be when compare to LED screen
2. Auto brightness is too sensitive, it adjust the light to quick. when I scroll the screen with forefinger and my middle finger shade on the sensor, less than a sec, it already adjust the light.
3. The seller gave me the wrong spec, this phone does not support WCDMA on 850 but 900 mhz
4. I don't understand while the make the CPU go high at 1001mhz all the time when charging.

Other things look good, I still need more time, but for just less than $200 I thought it is really worth to have one.

kkricardokaka95
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightingboy View Post
I got one a couple days ago. I feel impressed at first touch, the quality of assembly is good, it feel firmly.

What I like
1. The design and the dimension is good, not too big thin or thick.
2. The screen solution is good, but the shade of color look bit blue.
3. for gaming, I have tried on Asphalt 6 and Dead trigger, so smooth.
4. Speaker is loud enough to hear and the quality of sound and phone, for me, is acceptable.

What I don't like
1. The screen has white light around the corner of screen, It doesn't make a screen completely black as It should be when compare to LED screen
2. Auto brightness is too sensitive, it adjust the light to quick. when I scroll the screen with forefinger and my middle finger shade on the sensor, less than a sec, it already adjust the light.
3. The seller gave me the wrong spec, this phone does not support WCDMA on 850 but 900 mhz
4. I don't understand while the make the CPU go high at 1001mhz all the time when charging.

Other things look good, I still need more time, but for just less than $200 I thought it is really worth to have one.

Thank you I used my friends N1 . The screen is not viewable from all angles unless on full brightness. The battery life is sadly very very poor!
How much is the clock? 1Ghz?

lightingboy
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Clock is max at 1 ghz.
I confirm that battery life is very poor, in deep sleep mode it's ok, only about 10% overnight (6-8 hours). but when using, it goes down quickly.

I thought It might be some problem about CPU state, from CPUSPY, it shows that cpu always run in both 250 and 1001 mhz, even just slide the screen or get in setting menu.

I already reported this to manufacturer by email in their website but still no response.

kkricardokaka95
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
It is dual core right? Per core 1 Ghz or totally 1ghz?
And it somehow seems to reject standard android chargers and will work only with the one newman provides. That is kind of a bummer. Also, no headphones provided and other headphones produce terrible quality!

wangiles
Old
(Last edited by wangiles; 21st September 2012 at 02:25 PM.)
Thanks Meter 14
I did found out a few things too. Can't give a review yesterday as it was having issues and had to take another day just to confirm it.

P.s. It is scratch resistant. Not scratch proof. Am having a fine line about 1-1.5cm in length.

Sent from my N1 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Make that two lines. :banghead:

Sent from my N1 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to wangiles For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cybertech
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I will probably order this Newman N1. With also HuaWei U8836D in mind just couldn't make a final decision at the moment.
Hope can see more review for this Newman N1.