Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,756 Members 41,139 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy S3 Cracked Glass (Read this if it has happened to you!)

Tip us?

johnyardavid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 145
I am up for replacing one to make a tutorial video. However, that would require trust on the part of the sender. Of course I would return the phone, because well, that would just be f***ed up. So, here is my offer; if anyone out there has a phone with cracked glass but fully functioning touch and display, send it to me minus the sim card, with the replacement glass, 3m tape, and the plastic separator. I will use your phone to make a tutorial video, and then ship it back to you with the couple of bucks you will provide for return shipping. If anyone is interested, pm me.

Disclaimer on this: Worst case scenario the SAMOLED will break and you will have to replace the screen/digitizer combo like originally. Likewise, I will not accept liability for any other damage to the phone, though I would take the utmost care with your device and do not expect to damage it in any way.

If nobody is interested, that is fine and I understand. However, this is not for my gain as my device is already fixed and functional. Also, the repair will be done within a week of receiving the phone so do not expect it to be returned as soon as I receive it. I am a more than full time mechanical engineering student and I have a pretty busy schedule.

Side thought: I wonder why all of the phone repair professionals say that this process is near impossible unless you are a professional like they are? For instance, this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es8ge...ature=youtu.be . I am in no way a professional phone repairman and I typically lack finesse. Yet, this was pretty simple to me...
The Following User Says Thank You to johnyardavid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Wond3r
Old
Thanks Meter 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyardavid View Post
I am up for replacing one to make a tutorial video. However, that would require trust on the part of the sender. Of course I would return the phone, because well, that would just be f***ed up. So, here is my offer; if anyone out there has a phone with cracked glass but fully functioning touch and display, send it to me minus the sim card, with the replacement glass, 3m tape, and the plastic separator. I will use your phone to make a tutorial video, and then ship it back to you with the couple of bucks you will provide for return shipping. If anyone is interested, pm me.

Disclaimer on this: Worst case scenario the SAMOLED will break and you will have to replace the screen/digitizer combo like originally. Likewise, I will not accept liability for any other damage to the phone, though I would take the utmost care with your device and do not expect to damage it in any way.

If nobody is interested, that is fine and I understand. However, this is not for my gain as my device is already fixed and functional. Also, the repair will be done within a week of receiving the phone so do not expect it to be returned as soon as I receive it. I am a more than full time mechanical engineering student and I have a pretty busy schedule.

Side thought: I wonder why all of the phone repair professionals say that this process is near impossible unless you are a professional like they are? For instance, this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es8ge...ature=youtu.be . I am in no way a professional phone repairman and I typically lack finesse. Yet, this was pretty simple to me...
And apart from asking on here, maybe you should put up an ad on your local kijiji/craigslist as well! You can make a couple bucks off it plus use it for a tutorial

colbynmeghan
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Anyway we can get a link to the exact screen u bought

sent from 1 of 4 Galaxy devices

johnyardavid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 145
It was this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160867856708...84.m1497.l2649
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johnyardavid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

colbynmeghan
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Thanks

sent from 1 of 4 Galaxy devices

FlawleZ
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Great thread. I haven't had to deal with a cracked screen (thank goodness) but kudos to you for going out on a limb and trying something others said wasn't possible. Much appreciated that you posted up pictures and a walkthrough for this.

waiters
Old
Thanks Meter 194
Saw this super cheap sgs3 on Craig list might try and fix it to sell it.

johnyardavid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by waiters View Post
Saw this super cheap sgs3 on Craig list might try and fix it to sell it.

Sounds like a good idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to johnyardavid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

waiters
Old
Thanks Meter 194
Thanks dude!

|flyte|
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
It was this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160867856708...84.m1497.l2649
Can you confirm that this should also fit on an I747 (Telus, Rogers, Bell, AT&T) version of the SIII?

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 07:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 AM ----------

Quote:
Sounds like a good idea.
I would so love a video tutorial. I would be willing to send in my phone, however I can't part with my phone for a long period of time..

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda premium

The Following User Says Thank You to |flyte| For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]