Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,791 Members 47,373 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy S3 Cracked Glass (Read this if it has happened to you!)

Tip us?

Dalmus
Old
Thanks Meter 93
Default Re: Galaxy S3 Cracked Glass (Read this if it has happened to you!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcustaz View Post
Sorry about that, just been very busy and trying to get fully over the flu

Here are a few more I did and these look shattered but the break does not go through the laminate inner layer and they come up in one piece. Now this is certainly the best case senerio and what you want to happen. In my experience though it seems that this only happens with the blue glass. For whatever reason in my experience it seems that the pebble blue has a thicker laminate layer and like a windshield in a car it just holds together better. It is really strange but it seems factual based on my experiance. I have about half a dozen pieces of blue glass in my office that are shattered but all in one piece. However I cannot say the same for any other color, i.e. white and red.

This matches my experience. Mine was shattered.. I thought the packing tape I put over the front was what saved me, but maybe it was the thicker pebble blue material that did more?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using xda app-developers app

Shroomgoo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Wow I hope I dont have to do this but thanks for the post.

Ivie
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by COfatboy View Post
Could be. Mine is att phone. I know att and t mobile use the same LCD. Not sure on others. Could be more $$, they did ask for my imei number which leads me to believe price could depend on what phone you have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
Well after the repair the cost stayed the same.($135.31) They replaced everything from the frame up except maybe the home button.
Its beautiful. Very happy! My phone looks brand new.

They did ask for my IMEI number as well FYI. I have the Black VZW model, which I'd think is more rare than a ATT white but hey I'm not complaining....

sakdroid
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivie View Post
Well after the repair the cost stayed the same.($135.31) They replaced everything from the frame up except maybe the home button.
Its beautiful. Very happy! My phone looks brand new.

They did ask for my IMEI number as well FYI. I have the Black VZW model, which I'd think is more rare than a ATT white but hey I'm not complaining....
Could you please provide info where you had your phone repaired?

cleverdicky
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Hi all.
Watching this thread with interest.

have myself completed the removal of 4 screens. Unfortunatly the first 2 were unsuccessful.
Well they do say practise makes perfect.

Anyway regarding the oca or glue.

I just wanted to share a smidgen of knowledge I have about that.
I believe (cant be certain) that the material is called 'pmma'.

There is another substance called pmma but it is banned as one of those party drugs.
So def not that one.

Butnormal PMMA is used a LOT in the semi -conductor industry. It is a rubber like substance, optically clear that is excellent for making rubber casts of fine detail. It can imprint the trackes on a cd for example.
I believe this is what they are using. under the front glass.

sakdroid
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I called couple of Phone Doctor shops around and all quoted 279.99 for LCD replacement. Samsung quoted 178.61 with Shipping included.
They provided UPS 2nd Day shipping and will be sending it tomorrow.
Since i bought this phone less than 90 days before, i claimed damage protection thru discover card which i used.But they would cover only 50$ since i bought S3 for 50$ on contract at bestbuy.
Will post update once i get further updates

Animas1020
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmus View Post
This matches my experience. Mine was shattered.. I thought the packing tape I put over the front was what saved me, but maybe it was the thicker pebble blue material that did more?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using xda app-developers app
I had the same experience as well. I just replaced my pebble blue front that had 70% of the glass shattered and it all lifted with no scratches or leftover glass on the digitizer. Used packing tape as well because the glass wanted to flex and break more as I was removing it, but patience kept it together.

Thanks OP and marcustaz for the valuable information that has saved me considerably.
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3
ROM: CM10.1 Nightly

[Promote Autism Awareness. Please take some time to read this blog.]
The Following User Says Thank You to Animas1020 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

marcustaz
Old
Thanks Meter 170
Default Re: Galaxy S3 Cracked Glass (Read this if it has happened to you!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animas1020 View Post
I had the same experience as well. I just replaced my pebble blue front that had 70% of the glass shattered and it all lifted with no scratches or leftover glass on the digitizer. Used packing tape as well because the glass wanted to flex and break more as I was removing it, but patience kept it together.

Thanks OP and marcustaz for the valuable information that has saved me considerably.
There is no doubt that the blue glass 9/10 comes up all in one peice even if shattered. As I have said the blue laminate layer seems to act like safety glass like an automotive windshield. However so far all other colors I have done seem to be a simple coloring layer of paint on clear glass, so they shatter and fragment into peices. Just my experience, figured I'd share.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

mail_venu
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I did not had to do that, but did any one have tried a hair dryer to loosed the glue sticking the front glass?

dredremon
Old
Thanks Meter 359
pls help me i cracked my s3 mini
sorry in my english

DAYDREAM CM7 THEME original by Gspin