Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,276 Members 38,317 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus 7 doused in KY jelly. Best way to clean it?

Tip us?

circiutcity
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Unhappy [Q] Nexus 7 doused in KY jelly. Best way to clean it?

My Nexus 7 got doused by KY Jelly.
It was in a Yoomee Folio case and covered by a screen protector.

I wish I had taken a photo of what it looked like before wiping things off. Suffice it to say that the screen was completely beaded with the KY Jelly and the inside surface of the folio case was soaked. There was some seepage to the back cover of the tablet.

I was able to wipe off most the lubricant. The case itself is sticky and being porous, I think it will be a loss. The front is covered by a residual film of KY that I can't seem to wipe off. I'll probably just have to take off the screen protector and replace it, but considering it took 2 screen protectors to get a perfect application, I'd prefer not to do that. The back cover is still a tad slippery.

What's the best way to get KY Jelly off your Nexus 7?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to circiutcity For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Toaster Strudels
Old
Thanks Meter 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by circiutcity View Post
My Nexus 7 got doused by KY Jelly.
It was in a Yoomee Folio case and covered by a screen protector.

I wish I had taken a photo of what it looked like before wiping things off. Suffice it to say that the screen was completely beaded with the KY Jelly and the inside surface of the folio case was soaked. There was some seepage to the back cover of the tablet.

I was able to wipe off most the lubricant. The case itself is sticky and being porous, I think it will be a loss. The front is covered by a residual film of KY that I can't seem to wipe off. I'll probably just have to take off the screen protector and replace it, but considering it took 2 screen protectors to get a perfect application, I'd prefer not to do that. The back cover is still a tad slippery.

LOOOOOLLLLL

Sent from my Pebble Blue GS3 on Tapatalk 2
iPhone 5s 32GB [Space Grey, AT&T] -- HTC One M8 32GB [Gunmetal Grey, AT&T] -- 2013 Retina MBP 13"

If I helped you, feel free to click the "Thanks" button!
The Following User Says Thank You to Toaster Strudels For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

‹BERô
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 8,927

DONATE TO ME
Trolling?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent White Tapatalk 2
Nexus 5: Paranoid RastaKat / Faux123
Nexus 7 FHD: Paranoid RastKat / Faux123

erica_renee
Old
Thanks Meter 503

DONATE TO ME
OMG if it were me to have done that.I would never ever post it on the forum.. Ok i have to ask why where you using your tablet and that stuff together at the same time. Or even have them at the same place..

with the fun over.. ON TOPIC

I WOULD USE A ALCOHOL BASE SPRAY CLEANER . The alcohol will remove the residue and evaporate without causing water damage. I have used alcohol to clean electronic boards from everything spilled on notebook/ so on.

Good Luck . you might just have the . I BROKE MY TABLET STORY OF THE DECADE
They are my Nexus 7,Note 10.1 and Note 2 phone.
Get your own.Play nice and follow the rules or you WILL end up in the knob jail Cell
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to erica_renee For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

glowworm62
Old
(Last edited by glowworm62; 17th September 2012 at 04:06 AM.)
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
KY is a water based jelly so a damp cloth should be more then enough to remove every single trace from the flat surfaces. You will need to clean and wring your cloth multiple times to remove the buildup. Just be very careful to not make it too wet. It should be damp.

For the other places that it has snuck in, let the jelly dry then you should be able to rub it off.

For future play sessions you might prefer to obtain another device that is easier to use and thus less likely to be covered. I hear the iPhone can be quite popular and it has a vibration mode as a bonus.

Quote:
I wish I had taken a photo of what it looked like before wiping things off.
Suffice to say that it's probably a good thing you didn't.
The Following User Says Thank You to glowworm62 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

suprakarma
Old
(Last edited by suprakarma; 17th September 2012 at 04:12 AM.)
Thanks Meter 61
Some electronic stores try bestbuy or radioshack ,have wipe towels with special solution dedicated for electronics, and if for the gaps where the jelly accessed try a guitar pick or something thinner wrapped on a towel with alcohol and q-tips for the porous surface

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

RockNrolling
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ‹BERô View Post
Trolling?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent White Tapatalk 2
I'm inclined to agree with you especially since it's this user's first post ever.
Regardless, this is still somewhat entertaining.

Quote:
Since that particular lubricant is water-based, I would recommend letting your N7 sit for awhile. This should allow the water in the lube to evaporate. You can then wipe up the remaining residue. In the future, I'd recommend placing the N7 out of reach while applying lubricant.

Sent from my Paranoid Nexus 7

player911
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 903

DONATE TO ME
I always throw my N7 in the toilet for a good soaking after bathing KY. YMMV
LG G2 - Modded Stock
Nexus 7 FHD - Jelly Bean 4.4.2 [CM Kang Banged]
HTC Touch Pro►HTC Touch Diamond 2►Nexus One►LG G2x►HTC Rezound►Galaxy NexusLG G2!
iPad►iPad2►Asus TransformerGalaxy Tab 7 [CM10]Nook►Nook TabletNexus 7Nexus 7 FHD!

[Site Owner] MiiWiiChat.com - Free Chat for your Wii
[Site Owner] SnapSite Admins.com - Free Custom Website

Like what I do? - Donations welcome or hit the Thanks button!

RockNrolling
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by erica_renee View Post
OMG if it were me to have done that.I would never ever post it on the forum.. Ok i have to ask why where you using your tablet and that stuff together at the same time. Or even have them at the same place..

with the fun over.. ON TOPIC

I WOULD USE A ALCOHOL BASE SPRAY CLEANER . The alcohol will remove the residue and evaporate without causing water damage. I have used alcohol to clean electronic boards from everything spilled on notebook/ so on.

Good Luck . you might just have the . I BROKE MY TABLET STORY OF THE DECADE
Is there any particular reason you capitalize entire words/sentences in your posts?
I'm not trying to be rude; I'm genuinely curious.

Sent from my Paranoid Nexus 7

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21,259
well, the seven doesn't have a vibrator, and is relatively wide, so I don't think I want to find out why it was covered in ky jelly. but water would be the best option to wash it off with. maybe a wipe down with alcohol too, in those hard to reach places.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe