[Q] Best ROM for YP-G70 (Working Camera & Hardware Acceleration)?

OP Sesuko

17th September 2012, 04:32 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Hi,

I'm fairly new to the community and to the aspect of modding my Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 (YP-G70) US.
I've done a great deal of searching for my answers but no results yet. I need to speed this up so I'm asking for your help!

My Device's History:
Stock: Gingerbread OS
Current: CM9's ICS (CyanOgen)

Everything worked perfectly fine on Stock but I got bored and wanted to explore my options and see just what features I was missing out on.
Besides, I feel any Android device should rightfully be able to update to the latest firmware, much like Apple's IOS or Sony's PSP (I think I just dated myself).

I absolutely love CM9 but it has two very fatal (and apparently common) flaws:
Broken Camera
No Hardware Acceleration

These are two huge problems for me as I depend on my camera to record life's precious moments; I'm huge on that.
Google Chrome requires Hardware Acceleration or it will just display white screens and nothing more. So I'm missing out on what I see as the best browser.

My Question: What is the best ROM out there for this device (YP-G70) that includes a working Camera and Hardware Acceleration?
If you can at least provide me this, I'm fairly certain I can figure out the rest.

Thanks very much for any input, I look forward to getting to know this community!
(The App is AMAZING!)
Last edited by Sesuko; 17th September 2012 at 04:40 PM.
17th September 2012, 06:18 PM   |  #2  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 617

796 posts
Donate to Me
More
No yp-g70 ICS ROM has a working camera or hardware acceleration yet

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app
17th September 2012, 07:20 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 44

341 posts
... which basically means that your option at present to have a working camera and h/w acceleration are GB based roms
17th September 2012, 07:40 PM   |  #4  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 617

796 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by baladev

... which basically means that your option at present to have a working camera and h/w acceleration are GB based roms

GB does not have hw acceleration

17th September 2012, 08:33 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 18

103 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermaster34

yes but flash works on GB

Sent from my YP-G70 using xda app-developers app
Last edited by hanjosep; 17th September 2012 at 08:48 PM.
17th September 2012, 08:42 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 44

341 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermaster34

is rendering videos in hardware not h/w acceleration?
18th September 2012, 12:46 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
GingerBread doesn't have HW Acceleration on any ROM?
I've grown attached to the ICS look. Are there any GB ROMs out there that have the ICS theme? I'm strongly considering Chip v1.5, any thoughts or recommendations?

I'm also noticing some ROMs don't include a kernel. Which kernel is best for my device? I thought "Daily Driver" was the right one (US) but I have the dedicated hard-home button so it advises an International kernel instead...which makes no sense. And I can't find another kernel so far. Any thoughts?

I guess I'm trying to optimize my YP-G70 whilst trying to maintain an ICS look. Is that possible?

Edit: What do you think of Chip v1.5 ROM + rj's custom kernel for my YP-G70(US)? Seems to work for me, is it the recommended build or..?
Last edited by Sesuko; 18th September 2012 at 03:40 AM.
18th September 2012, 06:44 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 42

226 posts
Chip's is slim and stylish. It's my daily ROM and it's fantastic. If you have the Int'l version with the physical home button, the you should use rj's kernel. If you have the capacitative home button, then you need Entropy''s kernel. The nice thing about rj's is that you'll be able to enable linux swap.
18th September 2012, 11:28 AM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alljokingaside

Chip's is slim and stylish. It's my daily ROM and it's fantastic. If you have the Int'l version with the physical home button, the you should use rj's kernel. If you have the capacitative home button, then you need Entropy''s kernel. The nice thing about rj's is that you'll be able to enable linux swap.

Based on a wiki about the device, if your model name is YP-G70 you have the US version. Yet I have dedicated buttons instead and "Daily Driver" kernel wouldn't work for me, so do I have International version?

So confusing.

Either way I setup the following: Chip ROM and RJ Kernel. I now have a working camera, a slight ICS feel, but not sure if I have hardware acceleration since the only way I knew to test that was Google chrome app - which now I can't install on this version of android...fantastic!
18th September 2012, 02:04 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 42

226 posts
Google chrome as well as hardware acc. is a no go

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda app-developers app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread