5,606,779 Members 38,281 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

USB-to-Ethernet Helper App

Tip us?

dfahren
Old
(Last edited by dfahren; 30th January 2013 at 10:53 PM.) Reason: additional vendor/product IDs added: Delock USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapter and HG20F9-based adapters
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Storage USB-to-Ethernet Helper App

Delock USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapter and HG20F9-based adapters added.
Davicom DM9600 and QF9700-based devices added. Please give it a shot and report back your findings in this tread. Thanks.

It's me again ... I've updated the USB2Ethernet-Helper to a new version. I added support for dongles containing a QF9700 chip. Please note, I don't own such a device and thus can't testify if it is working correctly or not. Give it a shot and report your findings back to this thread so that I have a chance to fix it.
The best way to assist is to post a logcat from your Mediapad. Start an "adb logcat" over Wifi, connect your OTG cable and the dongle, and then start my App. Record the output in case you encounter errors.
For the initiated : Please also provide a dmesg log.

Thanks, DFahren

Hi all,

I developled a small App that can be used to connect our Mediapad to an Ethernet-based Internet router.
You can find it as attachment to this post.

Why does one need such an App? Here's the case...

Quote:
Picture yourself in a hotel. You have got your Mediapad with you and would like to surf a bit in the Internet. The hotel does not offer wireless lan, but nevertheless has Ethernet-based Internet access. Since Ethernet-to-Wifi converters are kinda expensive, you think of getting yourself a USB-to-Ethernet adapter dongle to help you out of this misery. However, our Mediapad does not support Internet-by-Ethernet-adapter right out of the box....
You need to know a few things about this App.
  1. In order to run this App successfully you need to have the 'su' binary installed on your Mediapad, i.e., your pad needs to be rooted. The App will fail if you don't have a rooted phone.

2. You need to have a USB-to-Ethernet adapter such as the "Edimax USB2.0 Fast Ethernet Adapter" and a USB-to-Go cable. Currently, my App only supports adapters that have the following chips from Asix built in: AX88772, AX88760, AX8817. If you have an adapter that uses a different controller chip, please contact me via this forum or write a PN. Linux has drivers for almost every controller chip and I might be able to compile the appropriate one for you and bundle it with this App.

3. You need to have a router that has DHCP enabled. This App does everything automatically. It won't work with IP addresses that need to be statically assigned.

4. You must have a non-modified Linux kernel on your Mediapad! That is, a 3.0.8 kernel that comes with the original Android ICS. If you have a modified kernel such as bart543's one, then this App won't work for you. May be in the future I gonna support those modified kernels.

5. Once you managed to install this App, you can surf the Internet using one of your favorite browsers.
    Although Android has rudimentary support for Ethernet devices built in (as far as I can tell from looking at the source code), Android ICS on our Mediapad only supports Wifi and Mobile data. What this means to you is some Apps from the Market that need Internet access may work, unfortunately many Apps don't seem to work (e.g. TuneIn Radio, Skype, etc.). If your favorite App(s) do(es) not work, I'm afraid I can't help you. Blame it on Android. Usually all Apps that access networking functions right away without querying Android which network types may be available and up should run correctly.

How to install this app
  • Download this App to your PC.
  • Type
    Code:
    adb install USB2Ethernet-Helper.apk

What if I run into errors?
  • The UI will show a short message as to why a specific step fails. Post this message in this thread.
  • Install "TerminalIDE" from the Market, if you don't have yet.
  • Open a shell and type
    Code:
    logcat
  • Post the logcat output in this thread. Maybe I can help.

Please be aware that I will do my best to help you, but I'm not the quickest to respond because I have a lot other commitments to follow.

That's it. Have fun!

Cheers, Dfahren
Attached Files
File Type: apk USB2Ethernet-Helper.apk - [Click for QR Code] (589.1 KB, 2435 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dfahren For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

living_legend
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfahren View Post
It's me again ... I've updated the USB2Ethernet-Helper to a new version. I added support for dongles containing a QF9700 chip. Please note, I don't own such a device and thus can't testify if it is working correctly or not. Give it a shot and report your findings back to this thread so that I have a chance to fix it.
The best way to assist is to post a logcat from your Mediapad. Start an "adb logcat" over Wifi, connect your OTG cable and the dongle, and then start my App. Record the output in case you encounter errors.
For the initiated : Please also provide a dmesg log.

Thanks, DFahren

Hi all,

I developled a small App that can be used to connect our Mediapad to an Ethernet-based Internet router.
You can find it as attachment to this post.

Why does one need such an App? Here's the case...

You need to know a few things about this App.
  1. In order to run this App successfully you need to have the 'su' binary installed on your Mediapad, i.e., your pad needs to be rooted. The App will fail if you don't have a rooted phone.

2. You need to have a USB-to-Ethernet adapter such as the "Edimax USB2.0 Fast Ethernet Adapter" and a USB-to-Go cable. Currently, my App only supports adapters that have the following chips from Asix built in: AX88772, AX88760, AX8817. If you have an adapter that uses a different controller chip, please contact me via this forum or write a PN. Linux has drivers for almost every controller chip and I might be able to compile the appropriate one for you and bundle it with this App.

3. You need to have a router that has DHCP enabled. This App does everything automatically. It won't work with IP addresses that need to be statically assigned.

4. You must have a non-modified Linux kernel on your Mediapad! That is, a 3.0.8 kernel that comes with the original Android ICS. If you have a modified kernel such as bart543's one, then this App won't work for you. May be in the future I gonna support those modified kernels.

5. Once you managed to install this App, you can surf the Internet using one of your favorite browsers.
    Although Android has rudimentary support for Ethernet devices built in (as far as I can tell from looking at the source code), Android ICS on our Mediapad only supports Wifi and Mobile data. What this means to you is some Apps from the Market that need Internet access may work, unfortunately many Apps don't seem to work (e.g. TuneIn Radio, Skype, etc.). If your favorite App(s) do(es) not work, I'm afraid I can't help you. Blame it on Android. Usually all Apps that access networking functions right away without querying Android which network types may be available and up should run correctly.

How to install this app
  • Download this App to your PC.
  • Type
    Code:
    adb install USB2Ethernet-Helper.apk

What if I run into errors?
  • The UI will show a short message as to why a specific step fails. Post this message in this thread.
  • Install "TerminalIDE" from the Market, if you don't have yet.
  • Open a shell and type
    Code:
    logcat
  • Post the logcat output in this thread. Maybe I can help.

Please be aware that I will do my best to help you, but I'm not the quickest to respond because I have a lot other commitments to follow.

That's it. Have fun!

Cheers, Dfahren
Hi

I am trying to connect a HUAWEI MediaPad 7 (ICS 4.0.3 kernal 3.0.8) to wired internet (ADSL) connection through a USB ethernet adapter (found on ebay)

OTG cable & above adapter yet to arrive and mean time I saw this post

Do I need any driver for this or will your workaround could solve it?

I'm not sure about the chip of this USB Ethernet adapter, I bought it since they mentioned its supporting Android

I don't want to use Wifi and very eager on fixing this with ADSL. I have a router and no need to dial to connect when I'm connecting from PC password is saved in the router.

Thanks
Indunil

dfahren
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Hi Indunil,

ok, your kernel specs seem to fit to my app.

But with your adapter I doubt that it will work with my app right out of the box. If you do not know the transceiver chip in the adapter, then chances are that it might be the wrong one. Try my app and if it works, cool, if not, please come back and I might find a solution to your problem.

Please be aware that a driver for adapters containing a AX88772 chip is included in the app. This is currently the only driver in the app.

Recall, you need to have an SU binary installed on your Mediapad!

Best wishes,

DFahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by living_legend View Post
Hi

I am trying to connect a HUAWEI MediaPad 7 (ICS 4.0.3 kernal 3.0.8) to wired internet (ADSL) connection through a USB ethernet adapter (found on ebay)

OTG cable & above adapter yet to arrive and mean time I saw this post

Do I need any driver for this or will your workaround could solve it?

I'm not sure about the chip of this USB Ethernet adapter, I bought it since they mentioned its supporting Android

I don't want to use Wifi and very eager on fixing this with ADSL. I have a router and no need to dial to connect when I'm connecting from PC password is saved in the router.

Thanks
Indunil
The Following User Says Thank You to dfahren For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Fausto89
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I installed this app in my galaxy s3. This recognize the adapter but it give an error which said that that application could not download the right driver could anybday helpme.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

living_legend
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi

Thank you very much for the reply, I just wrote to the ebay seller asking about the chip in that adapter. BTW to install SU binary I have to root the media pad is it? I'm an extreme new b to android but was able to root n install cyanogen mod 7 on a Samsung galaxy pop previously but that was following a chrystal clear user guide from web. But when it comes to Huawei media pad I'm not sure any accurate and valid info available... If you know a good source pls help!

Thanks again for coming forward with this idea! I'm actually nervous to use WiFi at home because of the baby

dfahren
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Hi Fausto,

could you please give the exact error message the app outputs on the screen. (The one that is written in small print).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fausto89 View Post
I installed this app in my galaxy s3. This recognize the adapter but it give an error which said that that application could not download the right driver could anybday helpme.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

dfahren
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default whePubl avenger

Hi living_legend,

hmmm, you need to browse a bit the forums on how to root the Mediapad. I think there are some pretty good posts out there.
Of course, you are right. Installing SU means rooting the pad.

Indeed the less electromagnetic waves you produce around human beings the better. I second your attitude.

Quote:
Hi

Thank you very much for the reply, I just wrote to the ebay seller asking about the chip in that adapter. BTW to install SU binary I have to root the media pad is it? I'm an extreme new b to android but was able to root n install cyanogen mod 7 on a Samsung galaxy pop previously but that was following a chrystal clear user guide from web. But when it comes to Huawei media pad I'm not sure any accurate and valid info available... If you know a good source pls help!

Thanks again for coming forward with this idea! I'm actually nervous to use WiFi at home because of the baby
The Following User Says Thank You to dfahren For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

living_legend
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfahren View Post
Hi living_legend,

hmmm, you need to browse a bit the forums on how to root the Mediapad. I think there are some pretty good posts out there.
Of course, you are right. Installing SU means rooting the pad.

Indeed the less electromagnetic waves you produce around human beings the better. I second your attitude.
Rooting process look very tedious (sigh!) & I'm so confused! (no knowledge about Linux) also No info in cyanogenmod.org regarding rooting this particular device
I received the adapter today and the chip seems to be AX88772A. When I plug everything nothing pop up or no activity happen in the device

Is there any way to write a patch like the Ethernet patch used in Android-x86 4.0.4 ICS RC2 devices. Currently my device got only Bluetooth, wifi and mobile network

no Ethernet though

dfahren
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
If rooting is so tedious, you could flash a pre-rooted image, such as HWMOD's boot.img. Look here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...highlight=root
Here someone presents a rooted image, too: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...highlight=root

Good to hear you've finally got your adapter that day. This is perfectly normal that once you plug in the adapter together with the USB-OTG cable into the Mediapad nothing happens. You have to use my app to see the lights flickering.

Just try it once again and if anything goes wrong, note down the error message.

Best wishes,
DFahren

Quote:
Rooting process look very tedious (sigh!) & I'm so confused! (no knowledge about Linux) also No info in cyanogenmod.org regarding rooting this particular device
I received the adapter today and the chip seems to be AX88772A. When I plug everything nothing pop up or no activity happen in the device

Is there any way to write a patch like the Ethernet patch used in Android-x86 4.0.4 ICS RC2 devices. Currently my device got only Bluetooth, wifi and mobile network

no Ethernet though

Technose02
Old
(Last edited by Technose02; 12th December 2012 at 03:46 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Hi,
I found this thread of yours and thought it could help me getting my USB-to-Ethernet Adapter to work on Android 4.0.4.
My device is a cheap rootet X7GS tablet, the Adapter is a UA0025C from LogiLink.
When running your App it tells me on the second step:
"Both host adapter and Usb-to-Ethernet adapter not found".

Usb-Host is definately supported (connected an SD-Card-Reader for testing) and the driver seems to be related to asix. It's a MosChip MCS7830, I have the linux driver on a disc here. I'll try to create this logcat you mentioned and post it here later. How can it be that the host adapter is not found?

Many thx in advance,
Technose

Edit: This should be the device (I bought it in germany where it is distributed by LogiLink):
MCS7830 -- USB 2.0 to 10/100M Fast Ethernet Controller from Asix

It can be found on the asix website, I can't post the link though due to Forum restrictions.
Thx again