[GUIDE] CWM-flashable AT&T UCALH9 OTA

20th September 2012, 06:00 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kenmore, WA
Thanks Meter: 467

523 posts
More
I've put together a zip file with the I747UCLH9 AT&T OTA update that can be flashed using CWM/TWRP. This file
  • preserves root
  • does not include the Google search update (so you can keep universal search if you want it)
  • does not wipe /data
  • does require removing all themes and modifications

Standard disclaimer: I am not responsible if this bricks your phone, destroys your IMEI or kills your kids.

Prerequisites: You have to be on stock I747UCALG1 for this to work. It may be rooted, but all the standard AT&T and Samsung bloatware must be there with no modifications. It's okay if some of the apps are frozen with Titanium Backup. You must not have any other mods or themes applied. The updater will check this stuff and abort if anything is wrong. I personally restored a nandroid backup I made right after rooting. If you didn't make one, you can use Odin and the instructions here to go back to stock.

To apply it:
  1. Boot into recovery and make a nandroid backup.
  2. Go back to AT&T UCALG1 rooted stock if necessary (see above). If you're already on stock UCALG1 but have framework-res.apk modications applied, you can flash this zip to restore framework-res.apk to UCALG1 stock.
  3. Make sure CWM recovery from clockworkmod.com or TWRP is installed. The recovery from Team Epic will not work.
  4. Put one of the zip files from below on your internal or external SD card.
  5. Boot into recovery
  6. Flash the attached zip
  7. Wipe cache and dalvik cache (optional?)
  8. (Optional) Go to Backup and Restore, Advanced Restore and restore the /data from the nandroid backup you made in step 1. If you used a nadroid backup in step 2, this should restore your data and apps. If you used Odin to flash the rooted UCALG1 image, this step isn't necessary.
  9. Reboot
  10. Open Settings / Application Manager. Choose All tab. Click on AT&T Software update. Clear "Clear data". If you were getting OTA notifications before, this will prevent them from recurring. After doing this, your phone will know it's up-to-date.

This worked for me. I checked that my flash counter is still at 0 and Google search is still finding local stuff like apps. I still have root.

Here's an alternative way to apply the OTA that doesn't require having stock UCALG1 installed first:
  1. Download all the files in the PIECES section below.
  2. Go into recovery and flash them all before rebooting. Make sure you flash the kernel file after the ROM file.

DOWNLOADS:
  • I747UCALH9_OTA.zip: This is the full OTA, with kernel and bootloader. You must be using the stock UCALG1 kernel for this to work. MD5: dabaddcfadd250e8389fe387cd3a9ba2
  • I747UCALH9_OTA_no_kernel.zip: This is the OTA without the kernel. You can use this if you're already running a non-stock kernel. MD5: 7e304f087f7d3e2096c7e30f745df38c
  • I747UGLH9_OTA_no_kernel_bootloader_modem.zip: This is the OTA without the kernel, bootloader, or modem. It's just the ROM updates. MD5: 6602fd89a3b49db1ab9128c9d9725812

MODS:
This process requires the stock framework-res.apk, so at this point you'll need to reapply any mods you already applied. Here are some mods that I've rebuilt against LH9. All are zip files you can apply through recovery.
PIECES:
  • Bootloader: This zip installs just the LH9 bootloader. MD5: 750ce5b2d0fd4476998a8b9e8194c26a
  • Modem: The modem can be found in this thread.
  • ROM: This zip installs a complete rooted copy of the LH9 ROM. Unlike the OTA zip above, it does not require that an unmodified LG1 ROM is already installed, but it is much larger (700 MB). You can flash this and all the other pieces in this section to flash an entire LH9 installation. MD5: 1df5aa24f2fe8fd65299a86f050da947
  • Kernel: This zip will install just the LH9 kernel and associated kernel modules. MD5: 62475e6701aac016732fb0d7d4b781db

TROUBLESHOOTING:
If the zip file aborts with an error, it's most likely because one of the files it wants to patch has been modified from stock LG1. The OTA is not a complete ROM but is a set of binary patches to the LG1 files, so the files it wants to patch must be unchanged from LG1.

The zip file checks that the files are unmodified before proceeding and prints out the first modified file it finds if something is wrong. If something does wrong, read the error message because it will tell you want the problem is. If you want to post to this thread, include the full error message in your post. This normally includes the string "assert".

CREDITS:
  • Tether mod: electron73
  • Cell Standby fix: bala_gamer and Anderilux
  • No Increasing Ring mod: yoelsd and criskelo
  • Enable Call Recording mod: wanam
  • Remove Wifi Notification mod: vlara
  • 15 Toggles mod: wanam, Celmerine for the flashlight fix, and electron73 for the ICS themed lidroid-res.apk file.
  • Extended Power Menu mod: magn2o and sphinx02
Last edited by drothenberger; 2nd October 2012 at 01:11 AM.
The Following 65 Users Say Thank You to drothenberger For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th September 2012, 06:10 PM   |  #2  
Flag londonderry
Thanks Meter: 173

2,149 posts
good start.. but still need a version that can be applied on top of lh1
thanks
20th September 2012, 06:13 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 3

62 posts
More
Great work! Before I give it a try, I wanted to ask if the mods are also rebuilt against LH9. It doesn't seem so from the description, so I wanted to make sure before I decide to give it a go. Thanks.
20th September 2012, 06:25 PM   |  #4  
Flag Fort Worth, TX
Thanks Meter: 10

110 posts
More
Can I use the OP steps if I updated the OTA but it said it failed?

This is what my phone info says now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 [AT&T GS3 Stock Rom] using xda-developers app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1348161916698.jpg
Views:	3718
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	1341194  
20th September 2012, 06:27 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 45

644 posts
So my question is if your using a custom rom there's really no need to update this right? I mean if I flash back to stock and then update and reflash a custom rom its kinda defeats the purpose I'm assuming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
20th September 2012, 06:28 PM   |  #6  
Flag Fort Worth, TX

110 posts
More
I wanted to add to my prior post that Even tho it says that it told me it failed on install I seem to have all the new features, except the stock browser won't load pages (chrome works though)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 [AT&T GS3 Stock Rom] using xda-developers app
Last edited by accrews2001; 20th September 2012 at 06:34 PM.
20th September 2012, 06:36 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 131

330 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgkahn

thanks

+1
20th September 2012, 06:42 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kenmore, WA
Thanks Meter: 467

523 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgkahn

thanks

Why? Just restore your nandroid from LG1 (you have one, right?) or ODIN back to LG1, then apply the OTA. The OTA is a patch against LG1, so it can't be applied on top of LH1. If you refuse to go back to LG1, you'll need to wait for AT&T to release the full LH9 ROM as an Odin file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketologist

Great work! Before I give it a try, I wanted to ask if the mods are also rebuilt against LH9. It doesn't seem so from the description, so I wanted to make sure before I decide to give it a go. Thanks.

Yes, they are. The OP had a typo that I've since corrected. Thanks for pointing it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accrews2001

Can I use the OP steps if I updated the OTA but it said it failed?

Probably not, because the OTA is a patch for LG1 and is not complete. You're best bet is to go back to LG1 and then apply the zip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunercrab

So my question is if your using a custom rom there's really no need to update this right? I mean if I flash back to stock and then update and reflash a custom rom its kinda defeats the purpose I'm assuming.

In addition to the ROM, the OTA also updates the modem, kernel, and bootloader. The modem is already available in the modem thread. I will eventually make a zip with the kernel and can also make one with just the bootloader if anyone's interested.

To answer your question, if you go back to LG1, flash the OTA, then reflash your custom ROM, you will have changed the modem, kernel, and bootloader but not the ROM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drothenberger For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th September 2012, 06:53 PM   |  #9  
Flag londonderry
Thanks Meter: 173

2,149 posts
no i dont have a lg1 backup as i never installed lg1 to my phone just went direct from the originally release firmware or whater to lh1
Last edited by lgkahn; 20th September 2012 at 07:05 PM.
20th September 2012, 08:07 PM   |  #10  
Flag Fort Worth, TX

110 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drothenberger

Quote:
Originally Posted by accrews2001
"Can I use the OP steps if I updated the OTA but it said it failed? "

Probably not, because the OTA is a patch for LG1 and is not complete. You're best bet is to go back to LG1 and then apply the zip.

I thought your OP steps included going back to LG1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drothenberger

If you didn't make one, you can use Odin and the instructions here to go back to stock.

To apply it:
1.Boot into recovery and make a nandroid backup.
2.Go back to AT&T UCALG1 rooted stock if necessary (see above). If you're already on stock UCALG1 but have framework-res.apk modications applied, you can flash this zip to restore framework-res.apk to UCALG1 stock.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread