5,606,588 Members 35,964 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Any tips on how to install swype beta?

Tip us?

Varlokkur
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Any tips on how to install swype beta?

I desperately miss swype... even with this larger keyboard, I can type faster on my phone because it has swype.
Anyway, I have followed the directions for installing some Google apps without root, and I side loaded dropbox successfully. I am waiting / hoping for a backup method before I try rooting, but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone has succeeded in installing swype on their device, root or no?

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium

alkemist80
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Installing swype has crossed my mind, but I have not done it yet on the KFHD. I did it with the KF 1st gen and it required rooting and it could get a little messy but once it was up and running, it wasn't a problem. I actually used SlideIT keyboard but right now the stock keyboard is a little pleasing so I haven't switched.

Vespus
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Sideloading doesn't work on keyboards, a rom might be necessary

anastasis96
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemist80 View Post
Installing swype has crossed my mind, but I have not done it yet on the KFHD. I did it with the KF 1st gen and it required rooting and it could get a little messy but once it was up and running, it wasn't a problem. I actually used SlideIT keyboard but right now the stock keyboard is a little pleasing so I haven't switched.
that was relly helpfull

timurg
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Successfuly installed Smart keyboard pro using method described here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1369205

Sent from my KFHD rooted

alkemist80
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by anastasis96 View Post
that was relly helpfull
All you have to do is ask. The method I found was on another board and I don't like to step on toes by cross referencing on another board.

alkemist80
Old
(Last edited by alkemist80; 24th September 2012 at 03:15 AM.)
Thanks Meter 68
I am revising this post on how I got swype beta installed and working on KFHD, the original KF method is not working since amazon locked out the ability to swap keyboards. This requires your device to be rooted

1) Sign up for Swype Beta on their website and download their installer on your KFHD.

2) Install the Installer APK and Log in

3) Select your Beta version and download

4) Install swype

5) Go to data/apps and move swype apk to system/apps and make sure permissions are rw-r-r

6) Install NookColorTools_0.2.apk found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=868366 Link courtesy of timurg

6) Reboot

7) Open NookColorTools and you will be able to select your keyboard. IF you keep getting a Force Close message, just dismiss, go back to system/apps and reinstall swype and force close should stop

8) Enjoy

I was also able to get this method to work with SlideIT keyboard.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alkemist80 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Varlokkur
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
So I installed swype beta, as well as nook tools... but when I try to enable swype in its app, it takes me to the default screen for co figuring the built in keyboard. The keyboard selection button in nook tools only lists the default option. Do I need to move the swype apk to system/apps ? If so, can anyone recommend a file manager that will allow me to access that dir without root?
Thanks!

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium

timurg
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Yes, you have to move apk to the system folder. And no, you can't do this without root.

Sent from my KFHD

alkemist80
Old
(Last edited by alkemist80; 22nd September 2012 at 10:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurg View Post
Yes, you have to move apk to the system folder. And no, you can't do this without root.

Sent from my KFHD
I did a few installs of swype trying to figure out the cleanest install, as you don't need to move any lib files in your linked post and even though it appeared all the files were removed for another clean install, it still showed up without being in my system/app folder. I will fix my post.