Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,049 Members 40,255 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Any tips on how to install swype beta?

Tip us?

Varlokkur
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Swype Beta has closed

So I rooted my device in order to try again to get Swype installed. I followed your instructions, however immediately after enabling Swype Beta in the Nook color tools, I get a message that Swype Beta has closed. This repeats every few seconds. Is this the force close error you mentioned? What do you mean by "go back to system/apps and reinstall swype"? I tried deleting the swype-input apk from system/apps and reinstalling the swype beta apk, but it led to the same result. Any advice?

Varlokkur
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Nevermind -- figured it out

OK, so I tried moving the *installer* apk to system/app (using RootExplorer), then launching said apk (using file expert). Enabled swype in nook color tools and now it's working! hurray!

Melodycd
Old
Thanks Meter 55
So, I did install Swype and several other keyboards to check. They all work good in portrait mode. But in landscape mode, the navigation bar closes a part of keyboard. The same happens to all keyboards I tried: Swype, Go keyboard, Swift keyboard. Did Anybody had the same problem?
Now:
- LG G2 (Verizon, CLEAN ROM 1.0) - Best one!!!
- Amazon's Kindle Fire HD 7 (CM, root)
- Samsung Galaxy S4 (i9500) - Stock.
- AT&T Galaxy Note 2 (Jedi ROM).

timurg
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodycd View Post
So, I did install Swype and several other keyboards to check. They all work good in portrait mode. But in landscape mode, the navigation bar closes a part of keyboard. The same happens to all keyboards I tried: Swype, Go keyboard, Swift keyboard. Did Anybody had the same problem?
Yes, I have the same problem. As a partial solution - Smart Keyboard Pro has an option to show arrows on the left edge, so the navigational panel closes arrows and not interferes with the letter block of keyboard.
The Following User Says Thank You to timurg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

no99sqrd
Old
(Last edited by no99sqrd; 1st October 2012 at 03:53 PM.)
Thanks Meter 16
Default Swype Default from Swype Installer

Got it installed thanks for the tips! The odd thing is when I downloaded the Swype installer and installed it, it gave me the option right from the Swype page to set as default keyboard and set preferences. I installed Nook Tools before I downloaded Swype (I obviously can't follow directions), but didn't need to go into it to set the keyboard. Like I said the option to set as default keyboard was in the Swype installer app. Works great - vastly improves my chances of sticking with the KFHD!

I have only tried it in Portrait mode, so can't comment on the Landscape issues (I use my KFHD in Portrait mode about 90% of the time).

mdecker2626
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemist80 View Post
I am revising this post on how I got swype beta installed and working on KFHD, the original KF method is not working since amazon locked out the ability to swap keyboards. This requires your device to be rooted

1) Sign up for Swype Beta on their website and download their installer on your KFHD.

2) Install the Installer APK and Log in

3) Select your Beta version and download

4) Install swype

5) Go to data/apps and move swype apk to system/apps and make sure permissions are rw-r-r

6) Install NookColorTools_0.2.apk found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=868366 Link courtesy of timurg

6) Reboot

7) Open NookColorTools and you will be able to select your keyboard. IF you keep getting a Force Close message, just dismiss, go back to system/apps and reinstall swype and force close should stop

8) Enjoy

I was also able to get this method to work with SlideIT keyboard.
Worked perfectly for me, thank you.

eugene2109
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurg View Post
Successfuly installed Smart keyboard pro using method described here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1369205

Sent from my KFHD rooted
Registered just to say THANK YOU!

wrexhamafc
Old
(Last edited by wrexhamafc; 1st November 2012 at 04:17 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
It all worked perfectly for me, thank you!

Anyone worked out how to fix the hidden part of the keyboard in landscape view?

Thanks![COLOR="Silver"]

jacewt
Old
Thanks Meter 59
I got Swype working by installing it then using titanium backup to convert it to system app. I then used nook color tools to choose it as the keyboard. No problems. Well, except for the landscape issue.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to jacewt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kokonai
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlokkur View Post
So I rooted my device in order to try again to get Swype installed. I followed your instructions, however immediately after enabling Swype Beta in the Nook color tools, I get a message that Swype Beta has closed. This repeats every few seconds. Is this the force close error you mentioned? What do you mean by "go back to system/apps and reinstall swype"? I tried deleting the swype-input apk from system/apps and reinstalling the swype beta apk, but it led to the same result. Any advice?
The same on me with Perfect keyboard.
With all steps repeated 10 times ... after first FC reinstall Perfect KBD from system/app. Everithing is OK till next reboot....again FC.

Last time I have tried to copy so lib in system/lib, but no progres - after restart the result is FC.