HTC Rezound on Pageplus : Guide
Ok folks. If you are like me, you searched all over the web didnt find a definitive answer on how to go about getting your HTC rezound to Pageplus.
I bought a used Rezound. It came with NO Verizon SIM card
. No software updates to it. I read a lot, sounded like getting to the latest stock was a good idea as it usually fixes issues. Well, I promptly updated to the leaked global ICS rom. Go the rom from android police dated Aug 15.
So my rezound had locked stock global ICS rom, no SIM card. Here is how i flashed it to pageplus. Please follow the steps as mentioned, as i have stumbled too many times and got it working.
Not a must but...
1. Dont upgrade your phone to ICS rom if you dont want to root your phone. As ICS blocks APN updates. Meaning if you need 3g on pageplus or any other carrier and you dont want to root your phone, dont upgrade. If you dont mind rooting your phone, you can just ignore this warning.
MIN and MDN Information:
You can get MIN and MDN by calling pageplus or follow steps below.
right at the bottom you can enter email and phone number. You will get an email with MIN and MDN information.
Windows 7 64bit or 32bit. No support for Linux, Mac or XP(??).
Software you will need:
1. HTC Sync http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-rezound-verizon/software-updates
2. HTC Diag drivers. You can download from below.
3. QPST. http://conflipper.com/Software/QPST_2.7_366.rar
4. CDMA Workshop. You need the full version. Demo is not useful. There is an old 2.7 cracked version floating around in the web. That will do the job.
Steps to follow:
1. Install HTC Sync. This software will install HTC Sync and HTC Drivers. All you are looking for is HTC Drivers. So, as soon as installation is complete you can uninstall HTC Sync alone. They have seperate uninstallers.
2. Install HTC Diag drivers. Now, i hope you have access to Windows 7. These drivers didnt install in XP for me. it could work for you.
This step is crucial, without these drivers installed you wont be able to do anything.
i. Connect your phone to PC.
ii. Just leave it on charge mode. The HTC drivers you installed in previous step should recognize the phone.
iii. Goto the dialer in phone. dial ##3424. press call. This should put the phone in DM mode.
iv. Win 7 will try to find the drivers and fail. If you open the device manager (or short cut just run devmgmt.msc), you should see the
2 devices with no drivers. HTC DIAG and HTC DIAG 9K.
v. double click on HTC Diag and click upgrade drivers. You need to manually upgrade the drivers.
This guide does a very good job. I dont want to repeat it. You can look at it if you are stuck. Just look at the driver installation part alone.
vi. Just ignore the HTC Diag 9k for now.
3. You have done a major step already. (I got stuck on step 2 for quiet sometime.). Install cdma workshop(CDMAWS). This software will trip anti-virus software(AV). So, just turn-off AV( or add CDMAWS in your AV's exclusion list). Apparently CDMAWS does use the virus technique to work but it is not malicious.
i. connect the phone to PC and dial ##3424 for DM mode. Find out which COM port your phone is using to connect.
ii. start CDMAWS. Select the COM port you phone uses. click connect. These should be in the topline of the GUI.
iii. if you are connected. The status bar at the bottom of window should indicate it. If everything is fine, click read(it should be next to connect/disconnect button). If everything is working so far, lots of empty spaces will be populated with data.
iv. switch to the Security tab. look for a spc button
. enter "000000" in the text box above it(dont include quotes). This is the password for EPST. click spc -> spc send. you should see a pop-up saying phone unlocked. (if you are using this guide for Sprint phones, you need to obtain this password). Verizon just leaves it unlocked.
v. goto 'other'
tab. look for RU-IM. click on the drop-down box. Select "NV-only". This option will be present only in full version.
vi. if you have not downloaded the attachment on this post, do it now. Now focus your attention on PRL box in the same tab as in step v.
PRL stands for preferred raoming list. I have attached 2 prl files. For me the 51720-evdo.prl gave roaming sign. I used 52711.prl, it worked fine. Click on write and choose 52711.prl from you download directory. It should write, the information to your phone.
vii. next switch to NAM tab. Enter the MIN you got from the email you got from kitty wireless (link is provided above). You can also get that info from pageplus by calling. MDN is nothing but your cell number. Enter that in dir or directory text box. click write.
4. you are done with CDMAWS. you can reboot your phone. At this point, if you havent changed ESN with pageplus do so now. You can do ESN change through online chat at pageplus website. It is free.
5. If you see roaming sign on your rezound, you need to use a different PRL. Roaming is indicated by a small triangle above the signal bars. start CDMAWS and select a different PRL file to write to your phone(steps 3(i) - 3(vi)). If everything is fine, from you rezound, call *22890 to program your phone. You can also use *22801 to program. if after a short pause it says unable to program your phone. It failed to program. Make sure you followed all the steps. If after a long pause it says unable to program. you have succeeded in getting the phone registered with pageplus. Now you should have your phone working for Voice and SMS/texting.
6. Take a deep breath and pat yourself, you have achieved a major step. Now to program 3g part. As i said before, if you are having locked stock ICS rom, you wont be able to go further. ICS doesn't let changing APNs. GB is fine with changing APNs. I havent rooted my ICS. i am just happy with a working Voice and SMS for my needs. Wifi satisfies my need.
7. Fire up QPST configuration.
i. Click on "Add New Port..." Select the port your device is on. It should be same as in CDMAWS.
ii. On the next screen highlight your device.
iii. Click on "Start Clients--Service Programming"
iv. Click 'Read From phone" When the prompt pops up click "OK"
v. Now tab over to "M.IP"
vi. In the drop down below that says simple ip+Mobi change that to "Simple IP"
vii. Now double click on "Profile 2"
viii.In the "NAI" section put your phone firstname.lastname@example.org
ix. In the "tetheredNAI" section put your phone email@example.com
x. For the IP Address put 255 all the way across for the last two sections and leave the 0's in the first section and Click OK
xi. Now click on "PPP config"
xii. Click "Um"
xiii. In the box that says "User ID", Enter your phone firstname.lastname@example.org
xiv. Click in the box that says "Tethered NAI", Enter your phone email@example.com
xv. Click in the box that says "Password", Enter "vzw"
xvi. Click the "AN" tab, User ID is your phone firstname.lastname@example.org
and Password is "vzw"
xvii. Click "write to phone"
8. Power your phone down then reboot it.
9. i. Connect to wifi
ii. Open market
iii. Search for "APN Backup and Restore" and install. If you have GB, this will work on it own. Now if you have a rooted ICS, you can use Titanium Backup pro to run this system app. ICS allows system apps to modify APNs.
iv. Open APN and click Backup APN's
v. Now put your phone in "airplane mode"
vi. Click "delete apn's"
vii. Click "restore apn"
viii. Select page plus apn from below
ix. Disable Airplane Mode
And thats it your fully flashed with MMS, Talk, Text, 3G
Credit goes to lots of folks. Mainly to Nevell, techwerkz, folks at howard forums and scores of others who are not mentioned.
Hope this helps a few folks.