5,595,196 Members 46,060 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[REF] [GUIDE] Welcome to your device, the Galaxy S III

Tip us?

IbbiAnsi
Old
Thanks Meter 1
There is a jellybean update to 4.1 over kies .

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

grandtheft_jiujitsu
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Thanks so much for this post! Really comprehensive guide I shall reference it many times in the future
Device: SGH-T999, CWMR, MOAR V2.3, Apex Launcher, Experimenting w/ Kernels
From Wicked Sensations Kuban: Black 2 Close Bar, Black & Blue Sammy Keyboard, Stainless Steel Boot Animation
Other: Appex Black Gloss theme, LMT / Pie, Beats Audio

20gritsolutions
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Just saying thank you to CF for the root info

jugalk1111
Old
(Last edited by jugalk1111; 2nd January 2013 at 04:23 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
I live in India, my friend has tmobile S3 phone, i cant use any network.
how do i unlock this phone to use all networks.
Thanks..

mgbotoe
Old
Thanks Meter 1358

DONATE TO ME
Love this, wish I had seen it before...would have made life so much easier

ksastre1901
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi new to this thanks for all the work you and all other developer's do

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

chastro
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Flash...root..which is which?

I'm confused...

back when I had Motorola phones, when they said flashing, it pretty much meant that I could delete undeletable ringtones and wallpapers and games etc, by connecting the mini usb cable and a few little programs on my PC...phones weren’t that complicated then...

my next real phone was the samsung eternity and for that one I just took it into some shop in San Diego where I told some dude and said make it so all these useless undeletable features are gone...and that was that...

Now with this S3 phone, all I want to do is get it to the point where there are no preinstalled widgets or apps or suggested programs blah blah blah. There are like 40 things running in the background at ll times and I cannot no matter what I do uninstall or disable them: Tmobile Music Center....Flipbook...Dropbox...Amazon...Zynga Games...all this kind of nonsense I want off the phone. I'll then decide for myself which mp3 app or photo viewing app I want...

So these terms now..flash...root...ROM...ack..

Which of the things is the one I need to do ? They all seem easy, so Im comfortable doing them myself...but not sure which to do

Thanks!

naraynar
Old
Thanks Meter 4
THanks for this post & it has real good information for beginners.

ticojpunk
Old
Thanks Meter 238

DONATE TO ME
Default [REF] [GUIDE] Welcome to your device, the Galaxy S III

Quote:
Originally Posted by chastro View Post
I'm confused...

back when I had Motorola phones, when they said flashing, it pretty much meant that I could delete undeletable ringtones and wallpapers and games etc, by connecting the mini usb cable and a few little programs on my PC...phones weren’t that complicated then...

my next real phone was the samsung eternity and for that one I just took it into some shop in San Diego where I told some dude and said make it so all these useless undeletable features are gone...and that was that...

Now with this S3 phone, all I want to do is get it to the point where there are no preinstalled widgets or apps or suggested programs blah blah blah. There are like 40 things running in the background at ll times and I cannot no matter what I do uninstall or disable them: Tmobile Music Center....Flipbook...Dropbox...Amazon...Zynga Games...all this kind of nonsense I want off the phone. I'll then decide for myself which mp3 app or photo viewing app I want...

So these terms now..flash...root...ROM...ack..

Which of the things is the one I need to do ? They all seem easy, so Im comfortable doing them myself...but not sure which to do

Thanks!
Rooting is your first job. Just read about the different ways on here and do whichever you feel most comfortable with.

Sent from my iPod while my Android is charging.
DEVICE: Samsung Galaxy S3 T999
ROM: DarthStalker X2
KERNEL: Stock

phantomthuggie
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Re: [REF] [GUIDE] Welcome to your device, the Galaxy S III

You'll need to root (jailbreak) your phone. Then you can flash (install) a ROM (custom firmware). Custom ROMs usually come de-bloated (useless apps removed).

Just make sure that everything you do is for your phone and carrier.

Transmitted from my SGH-T999.