[APP][2.2+][WIDGET][UCCW] UCCW Google play skins project
Now themers can provide their amazing uccw skins in Google Play market without writing a single line of code.
******* Note: UCCW 2.1.2 version required. Get it from Google play. *******
Motivation behind the project is to give themers and graphic designers equal opportunities to earn appreciation and money from Google Play store.
If you know how to make a hello world program in android then you can provide your skins in apk format.
The advantage of apk skins are:
1) Easier to install, uninstall.
2) Doesn't depend on sdcard.
3) Users are familier with apks.
4) Ability to upload in google play. People can rate themes. Themers can easily provide updates. Themers can also earn money for their work. Skins are easily available just by searching for UCCW skins in Google play.
1) Knowing how to make a 'Hello world' program in android.
2) Google play developer account.
3) UCCW version 2.1.2.
There is sample android project 'uccw_notepad.zip' attached. Unzip it and use it to create a new android project in eclipse. It has two skins inside Assets folder. When you install this project in your phone you see these skins when adding widget to homescreen.
Steps to make your apk:
1) While exporting your skin in UCCW editor check the 'check for apk zip' option. You get your skin in 'sdcard/uccwOutput' folder with 'zip' extension.
2) Unzip sample project 'uccw_notepad.zip' on desktop in your computer.
3) Open eclipse. Create new project. Select 'Android Project From Existing Code'.. See screenshots below.
4) Change package name of project to a unique name - it can be [?].[?].[yourname].[skinname]. ? can be any word. You have to open AndroidManifest.xml and change package name there. See below screenshot.
5) Remove old skins (everything) from Assets folder. Unzip your skin, copy the contents and paste in Assets folder.
6) Make changes as shown below in screenshots.
7) Export project. You get the apk file. Upload it in google play.
Providing updates to your skins: You need to change 'android:versionCode' and 'android:versionName' in AndroidManifest.xml file. But package name must be same.
'android:versionCode' should be the next number (decimal numbers not allowed, only whole numbers like 1,2,3 etc.)
'android:versionName' can be a decimal number like 1.0.1 or 1.1.0 etc.
A nice guide to set up your development environment and make a Hello World android app..
2) If possible provide a video in Google play, showing how to install your skin. Be as detailed as possible. Because users may not know about UCCW at all.
3) For weather skins, tell users how to set location in UCCW settings and change to Celsius or Fahrenheit.
4) Long press on apk skins uninstalls them.
5) You can provide a different thumbnail than provided by uccw. Just keep the size same.
1) You have to provide your own weather icons. Default weather icons won't work on apk skins. Its by design.
2) Issue - paid skins not appearing for some users. Work around
The Android OS showsgreat potential in many areas. One of most interesting things that … more
20 Aug 2014
By Tomek Kondrat
XDA Developers was founded by developers, for developers. It is now a valuable resource for people who want to make the most of their mobile devices, from customizing the look and feel to adding new functionality. Are you a developer?