5,595,964 Members 31,540 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] How to save Google Music to your SD

Tip us?

fergie716
Old
(Last edited by fergie716; 24th September 2012 at 07:11 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3581
Default [GUIDE] How to save Google Music to your SD

So I'm not sure if a guide like this exists but I looked and didn't see anything. This is a How-To on saving music you paid for on Google Play. I have a separate MP3 player and I also make CD's from time to time and I tried to figure out a way on how I could save my music I paid for on Google Play. Also, there are those situations when you have no data connection (jogging for example) and want to listen to the music you paid for but can't. This is how I did it....

Requirements:

• ROOT Access
  • Google Music
  • Root Enabled File Explorer

Open Google Music and navigate to the music you paid for on Google Play and start playing the song. Pay special attention to the progress bar in Google Music, it should show how much your music is buffering. Once the song is buffered to 100% pause the song (or you can just play the entire song to ensure the song is downloaded completely)

So once the song is buffered to 100% or you listened to it completely open your root enabled File Explorer and navigate to /data/data/com.google.android.music folder (as pictured, at the top)

Open up the com.google.android.music folder and go to /cache/music/ (as pictured below)

Depeneding on how many songs you buffered you will have multiple .mp3 files there or just one. You want to copy those mp3 files and paste them onto your internal SD or external SD. I don't think the mp3's have the proper id3 (artist, song title, genre, etc) so you can find a program to do that either on your phone or PC

Hope this helps someone. Remember, let your song buffer to 100% or just listen to it completely before copying the mp3. I am working with a buddy of mine on making an app that will do this for you and make it easier to download entire albums. Stay tuned
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to fergie716 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dav3wash
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Or you can check the box that says "keep on device"... then it will play offline too.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

ThemeTeam Wash:

dav3wash

that is all lol.
Want some custom sounds? Look at my thread!
Now rocking: Sprint Galaxy S4
The Following User Says Thank You to dav3wash For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

The_Tech_Ninja
Old
XDA TV Producer
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3wash View Post
Or you can check the box that says "keep on device"... then it will play offline too.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium
but if you flash and wipe that music is not there...

thanks OP!

ktrotter11
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Good idea but it becomes redundant because you'll end up with multiple duplicates eventually

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

hameedullah
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I thought, it will be some kind of hack or an app that will make Google Music to cache the songs on SD card so they survive the wipe. But I am really sorry, this is not very useful.

spectremANDROID
Old
(Last edited by spectremANDROID; 4th October 2012 at 10:16 AM.) Reason: correction of terminology.
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hameedullah View Post
I thought, it will be some kind of hack or an app that will make Google Music to cache the songs on SD card so they survive the wipe. But I am really sorry, this is not very useful.

Its useful information for some, not very useful for others. One of XDA's higher purposes is to educate. Being that I'm not a developer or a hacker and maybe not quite as generally clever or software knowledgeable as others of you, this is something that I didn't know. Now I know.

I'd say that I've been adequately educated for today and that XDA is fulfilling its objective.

Not an attack. Just a reminder.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spectremANDROID For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

suitifiable
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default 459. bzestem

Quote:
Originally Posted by hameedullah View Post
There are several uses for it, don't assume you're the only person who has an opinion about the validity of someone's info, it makes you sound like an bigger douche than you obviously already really are.

I know, that must be hard to believe, but someone had to tell you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to suitifiable For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dexter93
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1560

DONATE TO ME
lol, this has been around for ages. I didnt know a guide had to be written for that, it seems pretty obvious imho.

Anyway, nice write up mate
Initiator of the HTC Unbricking Project
Sensation | MyTouch 4G Slide | Amaze 4G | Vivid, Raider, Velocity | EVO 3D GSM | EVO 3D CDMA | Jetstream | EVO 4G LTE
Support is NOT given via pm.
~*~
Juopunutbear S-OFF | LazyPanda S-OFF
finally here... http://unlimited.io
~*~
OTA Updates for everyone!
https://otaupdatecenter.pro
~*~

The Don

The Following User Says Thank You to dexter93 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stone_phalanges
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Thanks!!! I'm not sure if this is just my phone (ATT GS3) but the music that I cache or save for offline listening also shows up in the SD card within the Android folder under com.google.music. You don't need root to see this folder.

To those worried about making duplicates it really doesn't. Cached music won't show up in another music player because Google music puts a .nomedia file in the folder to make sure it won't show up anywhere else (a dick move but hey otherwise it's great) if you want to keep using Google music you can clear the cache when you are done copying the files.

pulques
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thumbs up great idea

is great idea but i think than is redundant too as tell in some post on top, i use in the beguin than buy my phone