Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,147 Members 48,661 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Best OS for Vibrant?

Tip us?

djolam
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Best OS for Vibrant?

Hey forum,

I got my old Vibrant replaced with refurb and wanted to try something new so I went back to stock and then installed ICS by passion. However, this has been nothing but a headache because the phone is very laggy.

Since the phone is for my wife and she doesn't give a rip what's on it, I figured I'd go back to froyo but remember the GPS still causing me issues and she relies on it pretty heavily for her business.

I read a few threads that Nero by team whiskey was good but all the links i've found are dead and so TW's main domain.

What is the most stable and easy version I can put back on her phone that actually has a working GPS? Also, I'm a straight up noob at most of this even though I have over 15 years of corporate level IT experience. I feel like I'm just starting over trying to learn all the stuff one can do with Android phones. so please, if you have links that work, feel free to post.

Thanks!
Jeremy

ToStymiedBoar
Old
(Last edited by ToStymiedBoar; 25th September 2012 at 04:34 AM.)
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by djolam View Post
Hey forum,

I got my old Vibrant replaced with refurb and wanted to try something new so I went back to stock and then installed ICS by passion. However, this has been nothing but a headache because the phone is very laggy.

Since the phone is for my wife and she doesn't give a rip what's on it, I figured I'd go back to froyo but remember the GPS still causing me issues and she relies on it pretty heavily for her business.

I read a few threads that Nero by team whiskey was good but all the links i've found are dead and so TW's main domain.

What is the most stable and easy version I can put back on her phone that actually has a working GPS? Also, I'm a straight up noob at most of this even though I have over 15 years of corporate level IT experience. I feel like I'm just starting over trying to learn all the stuff one can do with Android phones. so please, if you have links that work, feel free to post.

Thanks!
Jeremy
Try Helly Bean along with the V6 Supercharger.
There's only one place I get lag and that is when intializing Google Now the new feature in JB.
Acer A500 TegraOwners JB v10 (Thor2002ro)
Asus TF101 Rayman FX Cyanogen Mod 10 (RaymanFX) CURRENT
Samsung Galaxy Exhibit RebelROM v3.0.7 Milestone 2A (Bpear96)
Samsung Galaxy S Helly Bean v2012092x (DerTeufel1980)
Samsung Galaxy S2 Jedi Mind Trick X (ptmr3) CURRENT

eksasol
Old
(Last edited by eksasol; 25th September 2012 at 04:53 AM.)
Thanks Meter 700
Android is the only OS the Vibrant run right now that I know of, but I wouldn't mind trying out other linux OS on it.

To answer your question, I use SlimRom on all my devices I have and had. I found CyanogenMod 7 and SlimICS gets better GPS signal. SlimBean can get signal, but tend to be slower but I expect it to improve over time. With my Vibrant, without doing the "hardware GPS fix" its impossible to get any GPS signal.

djolam
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksasol View Post
Android is the only OS the Vibrant run right now that I know of, but I wouldn't mind trying out other linux OS on it.

To answer your question, I use SlimRom on all my devices I have and had. I found CyanogenMod 7 and SlimICS gets better GPS signal. SlimBean can get signal, but tend to be slower but I expect it to improve over time. With my Vibrant, without doing the "hardware GPS fix" its impossible to get any GPS signal.
Thank you! I guess my question should have been stated, which Android version runs best on the Vibrant.

I'm trying to keep her phone as stock as possible. So far I went back to stock and then updated to FROYO 2.2 and rooted it just for a few apps. I have noticed that my system/xbin is full which caused me issues installing busybox. It finally installed but I'm still showing 0 space in that folder. Is this normal or did I forget something when going to back to stock?

ToStymiedBoar
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Thank you! I guess my question should have been stated, which Android version runs best on the Vibrant.

I'm trying to keep her phone as stock as possible. So far I went back to stock and then updated to FROYO 2.2 and rooted it just for a few apps. I have noticed that my system/xbin is full which caused me issues installing busybox. It finally installed but I'm still showing 0 space in that folder. Is this normal or did I forget something when going to back to stock?
I didn't stay on Froyo long enough to tell what the partitioning looked like but on CM10/JB it was changed. I use JB as my daily driver. Like others my GPS is for the most part none functional. This is not the fault of the ROM but hardware design. When I get industrious I will fix it. More likely I will upgrade by then.
Acer A500 TegraOwners JB v10 (Thor2002ro)
Asus TF101 Rayman FX Cyanogen Mod 10 (RaymanFX) CURRENT
Samsung Galaxy Exhibit RebelROM v3.0.7 Milestone 2A (Bpear96)
Samsung Galaxy S Helly Bean v2012092x (DerTeufel1980)
Samsung Galaxy S2 Jedi Mind Trick X (ptmr3) CURRENT

samsgun357
Old
Thanks Meter 1,377
Quote:

I'm not sure why this happens but I also saw this on froyo.

sent from the depths of helly bean