Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,291 Members 46,946 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Replaced just the glass, saved the digi/lcd (With video)

Tip us?

YellowGTO
Old
(Last edited by YellowGTO; 2nd October 2012 at 10:34 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 181
Default Replaced just the glass, saved the digi/lcd (With video)

Its to hard to manage threads for all platforms so im going to consolidate all the questions here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8#post31998128

Well I read a lot of places that it couldn't be done. I have successfully replaced just the glass. I recorded it on my Gopro so everyone can see how its done. If you find it useful hit the thanks Make sure you spread this around so people stop buying 300 dollar full LCD assemblies.

without further adieu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Gx5...ature=youtu.be
-Note 3-
2125, 3125, 8125, 8525, Tilt, Fuze, Tilt2, Droid X, Captivate, Atrix, Titan, SGS3, Note, Nexus, Note II,
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to YellowGTO For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jproy12
Old
(Last edited by jproy12; 25th September 2012 at 01:21 PM.)
Thanks Meter 77
Nice! Lots of people have been waiting for this kind of vid!

Might be useful if it happens to me.

skatin707
Old
Thanks Meter 300
Thank you! I will be attempting this and posting my results.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

YellowGTO
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatin707 View Post
Thank you! I will be attempting this and posting my results.

Remember LOTS OF HEAT :P I recommend http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-wa...112-96289.html and use it on low.
-Note 3-
2125, 3125, 8125, 8525, Tilt, Fuze, Tilt2, Droid X, Captivate, Atrix, Titan, SGS3, Note, Nexus, Note II,
The Following User Says Thank You to YellowGTO For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

skatin707
Old
Thanks Meter 300
That's exactly what I was going to use, I've got one from Debadging my STI.

YellowGTO
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatin707 View Post
That's exactly what I was going to use, I've got one from Debadging my STI.

Lol nice
-Note 3-

digital4282
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Man, excellent job. My only complaint would be the fingerprints on the lcd/glass. Sadly, I'm assuming you can't wipe them off since the LCD would break, right? I'm a cell phone repair technician and I've attempted the same thing you just did and had to replace the entire assembly simply because I broke it taking it a part. Any pointers on cleaning the LCD/Digitizer without breaking it? The customers at my shop wouldn't be happy in the least about a single smudge. (I know, I know ...)

Thanks,
Rob

YellowGTO
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital4282 View Post
Man, excellent job. My only complaint would be the fingerprints on the lcd/glass. Sadly, I'm assuming you can't wipe them off since the LCD would break, right? I'm a cell phone repair technician and I've attempted the same thing you just did and had to replace the entire assembly simply because I broke it taking it a part. Any pointers on cleaning the LCD/Digitizer without breaking it? The customers at my shop wouldn't be happy in the least about a single smudge. (I know, I know ...)

Thanks,
Rob
I was thinking maybe DSLR lens cleaner. I didnt expect it to work and I used my shirt lol. came out pretty good.
-Note 3-

skatin707
Old
Thanks Meter 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital4282 View Post

Thanks,
Rob
Why weren't you wearing gloves?

I planned on using gloves to avoid smudges entirely.

liveandlearn_again
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Glad to see you didn't forget one of the most essential items for this repair... BEER!

Good job man, looking forward to seeing more members try this (and record it). I will be attempting this in the next few weeks too.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to liveandlearn_again For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]