Replaced just the glass, saved the digi/lcd (With video)

Search This thread

skatin707

Jun 23, 2011
Honolulu, HI
I noticed a lot of people talking about the blue/white only, but I am seeing red on ebay. I am assuming that this would be the same as the blue/white? I want to keep mine red. And should I invest in a heat gun, or can I use a hair dryer?

Yeah red is the same, I considered changing my phone to red.

I would get a heat gun. Harbor freight has one for like $10 that will work, it's what I'm using.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

patmacca

Mar 18, 2011
Balls of steel... Great job and good vid to go with it. I hope I never need it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

reborn33

Feb 21, 2009
One more positive experience here -- and my screen was in a really bad shape! Thanks for the pioneers who tried first and shared the details.

I tried to post the link to my video but I'm not allowed. Anyway, just search on youtube for "Replacing my Galaxy S3 Front Glass Screen".

Thanks

Reactions: skatin707

cuteoz

Dec 4, 2011
One more positive experience here -- and my screen was in a really bad shape! Thanks for the pioneers who tried first and shared the details.

I tried to post the link to my video but I'm not allowed. Anyway, just search on youtube for "Replacing my Galaxy S3 Front Glass Screen".

Thanks

care to suggest what exactly you were doing.. and how you got it done, you being an first timer?

reborn33

Feb 21, 2009
care to suggest what exactly you were doing.. and how you got it done, you being an first timer?

Basically I did the same as others in this thread. Replaced only the front glass (which was very shattered) without disassembling the phone.

I posted a 10-min video on youtube explaining and showing what I did with lots of details. Unfortunately XDA does not let me add the link here, but if you go to youtube and search for "Replacing my Samsung Galaxy S3 Front Glass Screen". It was posted on 09/30/12.

Or simply go to youtube and append this to your URL: /watch?v=eneLvVe7DwE

I hope it was helpful.

chompone

Aug 4, 2011
I need to do this with my Note i717. I wonder how similar it is.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda premium

kobz1973

Oct 19, 2008
Job done .... got my glass today ... just over 2 hours and some picky work but its all done ...

and yes i did stick a blue on white ...

DSC03054.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Reactions: skatin707

kobz1973

Oct 19, 2008
The button comes away very easily. So if u can buy one it can be replaced

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

netjack

Jul 28, 2012
damn i might have over heated it with the gun as i now have a yellowish tint in the corner. I'm thinking I burnt out the digitizer. What do you guys think?

IMG-20121003-00095.jpg

kobz1973

Oct 19, 2008
damn i might have over heated it with the gun as i now have a yellowish tint in the corner. I'm thinking I burnt out the digitizer. What do you guys think?

IMG-20121003-00095.jpg

definitely scorched mate ....

keep the heat moving ... NEVER IN ONE PLACE ...

u may find that the screen looks ok when on ...

netjack

Jul 28, 2012
i definitely kept it moving but i guess low heat on a heat gun is too hot! i should've just used a frigging blow drier..dammit..i kept reading/watching that you can't have too much heat. i'm here to tell you can have too much heat!!

YellowGTO

Jul 3, 2007
PA
Samsung Galaxy Z Phone 4
i definitely kept it moving but i guess low heat on a heat gun is too hot! i should've just used a frigging blow drier..dammit..i kept reading/watching that you can't have too much heat. i'm here to tell you can have too much heat!!

This is the 1st i've seen this. You might have just cooked some glue I hope. Its all about the steady movements like spray painting

mtyp

Aug 26, 2009
How is this replacement holding up over time? I'm concerned that it won't stay stuck...

Or does anyone know of a gluing solution to avoid this issue?

djphooka

Would this technique apply to the SGH-T999?

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

I'm somewhat well versed in replacing phone screens. You always have to replace the digitizer no matter what on iPhones (as far as i know).
This is just another reason that Android phones trump iPhones.

Top Liked Posts