Because I recently bought the Lenovo K860 and am waiting to receive it, I did some research on how to root it.
I found some steps on this Chinese website.
Meanwhile there are also other root methods! See links below in this post.
For ROM's also see below.
What I understand from it is you have to do the following steps to root:
- Set the phone to USB debugging in the settings
- Make sure drivers are installed and the phone is recognized well by the default phone PC software
- Close all the PC phone software applications
- Make sure no other android or smart/USB-device is connected except for the phone itself.
- Download this file: root files, download link is also below in the attachment.
- Unzip it and launch the .exe (executable file) with the Chinese characters (should be first .exe in directory).
Launch it with Administrator privileges.
- The shell should start the root process.
- The phone will automatically restart, don't touch it or any button, don't interrupt the shell program!!
- Now after the reboot of the phone you should press a key on your keyboard when asked.
- The shell program should continue, the phone will restart again!
- Again press a key to continue and wait for the shell program to reboot your phone for the third time (this can take some time).
- When rebooted the "Operation was successful" message should appear in the shell program.
- Now your K860 is rooted! Look for the root app in your phone to confirm. If rooting didn't work, try this process again.
- Also update the Superuser or superSU app & binaries.
I want to note that I'm not responsible for any bricked phone by using this root process! I didn't do it myself yet, so it's all at your own risk!
Also backup all data before rooting the phone!
Because I don't have this phone at the moment I can't try to root it just yet. So if anyone got it rooted using this method, let me know!
Root method seems to work, a few users in this thread already confirmed this!
- Links to how to add Google Apps are in this thread, please read all posts.
Read more about this here:
- Custom ROM's and others are also linked in this thread, again please read all posts.
Added by jbctiong his post: "Overseas" Firmware for English users with the Google Apps included.
Added by jbctiong his post: CM10 (JB 4.1.2), Multi Language, Minor Bugs.
More ROM's added by jbctiong.
Another one added by jbctiong.
Newer CM10 ROM CM10 added by jbctiong
Lenovo K860 based build ROM with Google Play, no branding, improved battery life; added by amoyan
Lidroid v3.1 ROM for K860; added by jbctiong
- Other root methods:
Alternative method: Added by kakandariko.
The same root method as for the P700: Added by rugged666.
- Other useful international thread about the K860, root, ROM's, ...: Added by marcoruzza
- My purchase was a scam so I got myself another phone now. So sorry, I can't physically test anything for you, with this phone.
For the links to the ROM's and other root methods, please Thank those persons!
If you think I helped you with this thread, please hit the Thanks button and make me happy