Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,985 Members 54,019 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Kernel] OC to 1100Mhz and linaro gcc 4.7 (New version with fast display mode)

Tip us?

guevor
Old
(Last edited by guevor; 18th November 2012 at 11:54 AM.) Reason: new version
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1088

DONATE TO ME
Default [Kernel] OC to 1100Mhz and linaro gcc 4.7 (New version with fast display mode)

Because I suffer some problems in the vision, I bought a Nook Simple Touch to perform some of the functions performed with my asus transformer but with an electronic ink display. I must say I'm quite satisfied with its functionalty, but despite having to severely limit my hours in front of screens, I could not resist to modify the kernel.

The kernel adds frequencies of 1GHz and 1.1GHz, besides being modified to compile using gcc 4.7 from Linaro. I've also changed some compilation options.
The kernel includes the modifications for multitouch.

Attached the patch for the original source code 1.1 and my build.
Don't forget to rename the uImage.img to uImage (renamed it to allow the uploading)

Since version 2, the kernel support the normal and glow versions.

New version with fast display mode
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3&postcount=16

Last Kernel uImage (#174)
Cwm recovery install zip (to install kernel, fastmode.apk and multitouch changes) (#174)

kernel uImage (#166)
Last kernel uImage with usbhost
App to change mode (change the kernel option /sys/devices/platform/omap3epfb.0/graphics/fb0/fmode)
Attached Files
File Type: patch kernel-mod.patch - [Click for QR Code] (21.7 KB, 1101 views)
File Type: img uImage.img - [Click for QR Code] (1.83 MB, 724 views)
Motorola Milestone
HTC Desire (unbranded, Runnymede AIO)
Asus Transformer (Revolver 4)
The Following 45 Users Say Thank You to guevor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Woody
Old
Moderator & RC/RT Committees - Particle Physics Gives me a Hadron
Thanks Meter 8579
Very nice to see you Guevor. I am currently still running one of your kernels for the Transformer. Hopefully you can do the same magic over here.

@All, Guevor knows what he is doing and is always willing to help and troubleshoot with you. Above all, if you have bugs, Logcats are best but detailed explanations are almost just as helpful.
<a href=http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif target=_blank rel=nofollow >http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif</a>
ZFFZ

I GPL I

"The work of men of genius, however wrongly directed, hardly ever fails to open the eyes of men to new possibilities."
- Dr. Victor Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)
The Following User Says Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stegg
Old
Thanks Meter 46
whoa! guevor here!!!
Samsung Note 10.1" 2014 --- stock KK rooted
Huawei G700 --- stock 1.15 JB rooted
Nook ST --- stock rooted 1.21

Get 5GB extra storage space when using this referral link for 15GB free space at copy.com:
https://next-d.copy.com?r=GLAxcH for a total of 20GB

notriddle
Old
(Last edited by notriddle; 27th September 2012 at 02:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
Default Thanks, but a question

Can voltage control be added? The nook would probably benefit hugely from undervolt.

Zorkman
Old
Thanks Meter 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by notriddle View Post
Can voltage control be added? The nook would probably benefit hugely from undervolt.
from everything I've read, undervolting provides only a very minimal gain in battery life (we're talking about max a couple of procent)

guevor
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1088

DONATE TO ME
The voltage is not fixed for each frequency, so it is modified while working, and the only thing that is fixed is the nominal value.
I have looked very little about this board, but that is what I have seen so far.
I made a compilation reducing the nominal value, but do not think it changes much.
I've also tweaked some latencies and have limited the overclocking to 1Ghz (better relation).
I've done some testing and I can see that using ondemand, the lower rate (300Mhz) is much more used, so consumption should be reduced.
Attached Files
File Type: img uImage.img - [Click for QR Code] (1.83 MB, 161 views)
Motorola Milestone
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guevor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pet4a
Old
Thanks Meter 3
can someone explain how to install this kernel?
The Following User Says Thank You to pet4a For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

guevor
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1088

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by pet4a View Post
can someone explain how to install this kernel?
You first need to rename the uImage.img to uImage
Then you need adb on your computer and be connected on the same net (computer and nook).
After that, you can use these instructions.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9&postcount=21

I hope it will be helpful
Motorola Milestone
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guevor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Filippios
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you for this uImage Hmm...is it really to have USB host support too in this kernel? And support for the NST Glowlight? Thanks.

osowiecki
Old
Thanks Meter 123

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filippios View Post
Thank you for this uImage Hmm...is it really to have USB host support too in this kernel? And support for the NST Glowlight? Thanks.
bump for USB host.

also.. at 1000 MHz system seems to be working noticeably faster (placebo effect?). Thanks for compiling this kernel.