5,595,067 Members 40,257 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Which type of microUSB charging connection should the new Car Dock have?
Fixed microUSB position (does not work with cases) 6 20.69%
Flexible microUSB "arm" (works with all cases) 23 79.31%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

How should the perfect Vehicle Dock for Note II look like? From iBOLT...

Tip us?

MikaelPe
Old
(Last edited by MikaelPe; 10th October 2012 at 04:47 AM.) Reason: Original too long
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 134
Default How should the perfect Vehicle Dock for Note II look like? From iBOLT...

Hello everyone, we at iBOLT (www.ibolt.co) are working on a "real" car dock for the Note II. As we are finalizing the details it would be great to have feedback and input from this knowledgeable user community. Here's some of the questions where it would be great to have some feedback on: which type of microUSB charging is optimal (fixed position or flexible so it works with cases), car mode (good or not?), wireless charging (does anyone care?), aux-out through microUSB with 9ft cord (too long?). Well, sound off and let us know and we'll read every comment Thanks!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MikaelPe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ChodTheWacko
Old
Thanks Meter 394
One thing I'd be concerned with is -
does the wireless charging supply enough power for a maxed out Note 2?
i.e. screen on 100% full brightness, GPS going full tilt, CPU probably going at a healthy pace too.

We've seen a fair number of people with chargers that couldn't handle the load (i.e. their phone still drained battery even on the charger).

- Frank
Galaxy Note FAQ: http://lishutterbug.com/note
57K and growing!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChodTheWacko For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MikaelPe
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko View Post
One thing I'd be concerned with is -
does the wireless charging supply enough power for a maxed out Note 2?
i.e. screen on 100% full brightness, GPS going full tilt, CPU probably going at a healthy pace too.

We've seen a fair number of people with chargers that couldn't handle the load (i.e. their phone still drained battery even on the charger).

- Frank
Great comment. The Car Dock for Galaxy Note II must work well with thicker cases type Otterbox Commuter/Defender, Ballistic, Trident etc. It would be great to hear from users that have Qi wireless charging solutions, like the Galaxy S III solution from Verizon etc. How well does it work with cases?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikaelPe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

May2012
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 9
I do not really understand the car dock, so also do not understand perfect?

finalhit
Old
(Last edited by finalhit; 29th September 2012 at 10:57 AM.)
Thanks Meter 217
nice, i was hoping you guys would make one for the note ii.

please have a stiff-necked cup holder version. i find them much more stable and secure. i personally have a mini cooper, and the cup holders are right in front of the console. the usb cable/aux are right behind them, so it's perfect. 9ft is definitely too long, and would just clutter up the car.

as per the connection, consider the samsung infuse route...where it snaps into the bottom of the phone. wireless charging is nice, but i wouldn't pay more than +20 bux for it.

speaking of which, please do portrait mode, not landscape. portrait is way better for navigation.

last and the least, consider changing your company name.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to finalhit For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DMax99
Old
(Last edited by DMax99; 29th September 2012 at 04:05 PM.)
Thanks Meter 129
wow...i'm glad that you guys are advertising here....I have never seen a better car dock before....

I have been looking for a dock that can fit my phone with the many different cases (thickness) I have, So definitely keep the "Flexible MicroUSB Arm please". I also like the idea of being able to attach it to either the windscreen or the dash.

I t would be nice to see the wireless charging feature and also one size fits all for different size phones. It would look very bad to have 2 docks in my car for both of my phone and my wife's phone.

Please let us know when the dock comes out for the note 2. Can't wait!
Nokia 3310 --> Samsung Star --> Samsung Omnia HD --> Dell Streak --> Samsung Galaxy Note

entwicklun
Old
Thanks Meter 51
I think the cable should be included in the dock hidden, so the bottom is not fugly with a cable in the car.

personally tbh your s3 dock is hideous, it is WAY too big and covers WAY too much of the phone. it needs to be slim and transparent, as if it were never there.

also for those who don't want a big fat suction cup on their window or dash, we would like something that attaches to any surface, or something that attaches to the vents where your aircon comes from. e.g. middle of car or on drivers side by window. so it's hiding from public and not IN YO FACE when driving

RambJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Wow I'm glad to see you are making a car dock for the Note II. I'm deciding between the Note II and the S3, and your dock was the main one I was looking at for the S3, and was hoping there would be a good one for the Note II as well.

skee^
Old
Thanks Meter 3

DONATE TO ME
Liked the S3 version but still as ive read earlier Portrait mode is better in car, i always use portrait mode, and i also think you can do a fixed usb when in portrait cause then its centered when standing, also reducing stress on the usb port when putting in the charger all the time..

when in portrait, holder could also be more slimmer. personally i would like a vent holder since it wont disturb my view out.

Qi wireless charing would be a blast since i only would have to put it in the holder and my car already have Bluetooth. i would pay extra for that.

Sistum Id
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by entwicklun View Post
I think the cable should be included in the dock hidden, so the bottom is not fugly with a cable in the car.

personally tbh your s3 dock is hideous, it is WAY too big and covers WAY too much of the phone. it needs to be slim and transparent, as if it were never there.

also for those who don't want a big fat suction cup on their window or dash, we would like something that attaches to any surface, or something that attaches to the vents where your aircon comes from. e.g. middle of car or on drivers side by window. so it's hiding from public and not IN YO FACE when driving
What? Do you even own the iBolt dock for the GS3?

Anyways, I think the GS3 iBolt dock is awesome. I think I read this dock is made mostly to be placed on the left side of the steering wheel in landscape. This is where my past docks go and is where I think it's at it's best. I would say remove the charging LED to help reduce production cost. Everything else is great.
Main Device
Jet Black T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note III

Tablet
Deep Grey Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Side Android Devices
G1 | myTouch Slide | Nexus One | G2x | Galaxy S II | Galaxy S III | Xoom | Galaxy S IV | Galaxy Note II

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sistum Id For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]