Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,000 Members 47,618 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Which type of microUSB charging connection should the new Car Dock have?
Fixed microUSB position (does not work with cases) 6 20.69%
Flexible microUSB "arm" (works with all cases) 23 79.31%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

How should the perfect Vehicle Dock for Note II look like? From iBOLT...

Tip us?

Masterface7
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaelPe View Post
Hello everyone, we at iBOLT (www.ibolt.co) are working on a "real" car dock for the Note II. As we are finalizing the details in the next days it would be great to have feedback and input from this knowledgeable user community. Here's some of the questions where it would be great to have some feedback on: which type of microUSB charging is optimal (fixed position or flexible so it works with cases), car mode (good or not?), wireless charging (does anyone care?), aux-out through microUSB with 9ft cord (too long?). Well, sound off and let us know and we'll read every comment Thanks!
Fixed position that works with the naked phone. If it takes on holding cases it will have to much a overly big look.
I am not sure about wireless charing, I do not know how big of a gap that means there can be between the device and the source providing wireless power.
I definitely like car mode for the simple reason that is locks my phone screen on so i don't have to fumble with it when i need to use it while driving.
I personally don't use an aux out and do everything through bluetooth so I don't care for aux-out through usb.

I currently use the samsung made gs2 epic 4g touch car dock and i really like the fact that it covers pretty much 0% or the screen and it doesn't have anything that sticks out past the screen.

For me being as minimal as possible is what i look for and while still providing stiff support.
Device: Nexus 5
ROM: The one with Android 4.x
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Masterface7 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RambJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 18
I read some people's reviews and comments saying for the S3, the power button can get knocked when driving. Is this common, or is there a way to prevent this?

Is this a problem with the Note 2, or could it maybe lay landscape the other way so the power is on the top? But then I guess you won't have access to volume controls...

Doesn't matter I guess, as this issue is probably resolved by using a case.

twospirits
Old
Thanks Meter 87
The issue i have with car docks, desktop docks etc and the current Note 1 (which would probably happen with the Note 2) is that you can't really place them in the dock if they have the official Samsung Folio cover. One has to remove the back cover/Folio so they can be place in the dock.

TS
Members, want to make this place better, just ask the staff. Remember, the "No' is always there, you are just looking for the "Yes". and please read the Guidelines

Google plus user
The Following User Says Thank You to twospirits For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ChrisEmerson
Old
Thanks Meter 16
I'd way prefer the fixed charging - I hate having to fiddle around with cables once I've put the phone in. I want to be able to just slide the phone in and have it just connect. Whether that means wireless charging or a fixed position charger doesn't matter to me though. I don't really use cases with my phones so it doesn't matter too much to me, but agree it would just add bulk to the holder if it needed to accommodate them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisEmerson For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Beamen1
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Nice. The docking station for the S3 looked great. I want one for the Note II NOW!
Galaxy Note II - Rooted

Backup:
HTC Desire HD
-----------------------------
ROM: Revolution HD 6.3.1 [RomCleaned +2WCR]
Radio: 12.65.60.29U_26.14.04.28_M
Performance: Ultra Smooth Rossie + V6 SuperCharged
ENG S-OFF // Radio S-OFF // SuperCID

DMax99
Old
Thanks Meter 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamen1 View Post
Nice. The docking station for the S3 looked great. I want one for the Note II NOW!
I think so too.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA Premium HD app
Nokia 3310 --> Samsung Star --> Samsung Omnia HD --> Dell Streak --> Samsung Galaxy Note

DebtMarkets
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Wireless charging would be awesome! One less thing to plug in when I dock the phone. Another feature that would be perfect would be the ability to rotate the device portrait or landscape.

imobileface
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamen1 View Post
completely agree with you

D3_
Old
Thanks Meter 412
audio out through the micro usb port is a must, but my car plugs into the 3.5mm port on the phone/whatever instead of the other way around, I'd like to not have to get a 3.5mm female - female adapter to use it in my car.

drexappeal
Old
Thanks Meter 12
The dock absolutely MUST be designed similar to how the htc evo lte dock is set up. The thing that isn't as appealing with the sgs3 dock is that you have to plug the micro-usb connector in all the time. The best part of having a vehicle dock is being able to place the phone in the dock and go. Also, having a 3.5 jack that can output via adaptor spliced with the micro-usb connector is a must have. Obviously, it'd be ideal to also design it to accommodate those that use cases

2 car docks you can take cues from would be the original note dock and the motorola docks. Please make it happen.

---------- Post added at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

The trickiest part would be creating a dock that meshes what you did for the HTC Evo LTE dock and the Galaxy S3.

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 AM ----------

For examples, here is the Motorola Razr Maxx Vehicle Dock:
http://media.tecca.com/2012/04/14/mo...image-320w.jpg

The original Note vehicle dock:
http://i2.expansys.com/img/b/224728/...y-note-5-3.jpg

3.5mm audio adaptor/USB charger that would plug into the back of the dock and into the usb slot of a car charger
http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers...,en_US,pd.html

Now, take those concepts, add the ability to use with/without a case, and that would be the perfect dock.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drexappeal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]