[APP][Nov-13-2013] Capacitive Buttons v1.0.13

4th October 2012, 02:58 AM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 10

76 posts
Awesome! Works great on CM10. Thanks a lot for posting. This will be great when I'm watching YouTube videos in the dark.

Sent from my One X using xda app-developers app
8th October 2012, 07:49 AM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 22

260 posts
More
Great app! Works exactly like it should. One question though (might be kinda stupid lol) - is the default brightness the full-bright option for whatever ROM you're running? To phrase it a little better, what's the default brightness before installing the app: the half-bright or full-bright option? And does uninstalling the app revert everything back to normal? Thanks!
9th October 2012, 12:27 AM   |  #13  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kitchener
Thanks Meter: 316

428 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkel777

is the default brightness the full-bright option for whatever ROM you're running? To phrase it a little better, what's the default brightness before installing the app: the half-bright or full-bright option? And does uninstalling the app revert everything back to normal?

Thanks for the feedback! Good questions too. I've added the answers to the FAQ section of the OP. Does it answer your questions:

Frequently Asked Questions
  • Which brightness setting is "stock"? It depends. On Sense based ROMs (eg. CleanROM, ViperXL) "Bright" seems to be the default. On AOSP-based ROMs (eg. CM10, AOKP) "Dim" seems to be the default. It all depends on how/if the ROM maintainer tweaked the default setting. The "default default" (ie. if you RUU to stock) setting is "bright".
  • How do I get back to the default setting? The most reliable way is to simply reboot. Or, you can just set the brightness setting that is the default.
  • What happens if I uninstall the app? Nothing. Well, it doesn't change the brightness setting if that's what you're wondering. After a reboot, though, the brightness setting will revert back to the ROM's default setting.
The Following User Says Thank You to denversc For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th October 2012, 01:58 AM   |  #14  

260 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by denversc

Thanks for the feedback! Good questions too. I've added the answers to the FAQ section of the OP. Does it answer your questions:

Frequently Asked Questions

• Which brightness setting is "stock"? It depends. On Sense based ROMs (eg. CleanROM, ViperXL) "Bright" seems to be the default. On AOSP-based ROMs (eg. CM10, AOKP) "Dim" seems to be the default. It all depends on how/if the ROM maintainer tweaked the default setting. The "default default" (ie. if you RUU to stock) setting is "bright".
  • How do I get back to the default setting? The most reliable way is to simply reboot. Or, you can just set the brightness setting that is the default.
  • What happens if I uninstall the app? Nothing. Well, it doesn't change the brightness setting if that's what you're wondering. After a reboot, though, the brightness setting will revert back to the ROM's default setting.

Yes that answers my question! And everything else I was wondering haha. Thanks for putting up that FAQ! And keep the good work coming

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2
13th October 2012, 06:42 PM   |  #15  

260 posts
More
I updated to the latest version a couple days ago, and it's been working great! But as of yesterday, the settings don't stick after boot, even though the option is checked under the settings. Any way I can fix this? If it helps, my phone rebooted on me once, and then I had to hard reset it shortly after because it froze up on me. I'm on the 10-12 nightly. Thanks!
13th October 2012, 07:48 PM   |  #16  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kitchener

428 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I updated to the latest version a couple days ago, and it's been working great! But as of yesterday, the settings don't stick after boot, even though the option is checked under the settings. Any way I can fix this? If it helps, my phone rebooted on me once, and then I had to hard reset it shortly after because it froze up on me. I'm on the 10-12 nightly. Thanks!

Thanks for reporting this. Can you answer a few questions for me?
1. Which ROM are you running? (it's possible that your ROM overrides the capacitive button brightness setting)
2. Which brightness levels (off, dim, or bright) have you noticed are not sticking?
3. Can you reboot and capture a logcat log after the device boots back up? With this log output I can see if it even tried to set the brightness.

If you are unsure how to capture the logcat log, try this:
1. Install "Android Terminal Emulator" from the Google Play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...al.androidterm
2. Start "Terminal Emulator" on the device
3. Type "su" into the Terminal Emulator app and press ENTER
4. Type "logcat -d >/sdcard/logcat.txt" into the Terminal Emulator app and press ENTER

This will create a file named "logcat.txt" on your SDCard. Attach that log here. If you want, you can scrub logcat.txt to remove your email address and any other personal info that might be in there.
13th October 2012, 08:58 PM   |  #17  

260 posts
More
Quote:

Thanks for reporting this. Can you answer a few questions for me?
1. Which ROM are you running? (it's possible that your ROM overrides the capacitive button brightness setting)
2. Which brightness levels (off, dim, or bright) have you noticed are not sticking?
3. Can you reboot and capture a logcat log after the device boots back up? With this log output I can see if it even tried to set the brightness.

If you are unsure how to capture the logcat log, try this:
1. Install "Android Terminal Emulator" from the Google Play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...al.androidterm
2. Start "Terminal Emulator" on the device
3. Type "su" into the Terminal Emulator app and press ENTER
4. Type "logcat -d >/sdcard/logcat.txt" into the Terminal Emulator app and press ENTER

This will create a file named "logcat.txt" on your SDCard. Attach that log here. If you want, you can scrub logcat.txt to remove your email address and any other personal info that might be in there.

No problem! I'm running the 10-12 CM10 nightly right now. It was sticking after boot previously. I've been setting the capacitive buttons to off, and that seems to not be sticking recently (however, I've only noticed this once, so it may have just been a fluke). I know I sound really stupid, but I'm not too comfortable with doing a logcat lol... thanks for the steps though, it does seem quite easy. I'm just being really paranoid with my device right now because I can't afford another one if something happens. I'll try shutting down with the checkbox unticked, then shut down again with the checkbox ticked and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the reply!
13th October 2012, 10:40 PM   |  #18  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kitchener

428 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

No problem! I'm running the 10-12 CM10 nightly right now. It was sticking after boot previously. I've been setting the capacitive buttons to off, and that seems to not be sticking recently (however, I've only noticed this once, so it may have just been a fluke). I know I sound really stupid, but I'm not too comfortable with doing a logcat lol... thanks for the steps though, it does seem quite easy. I'm just being really paranoid with my device right now because I can't afford another one if something happens. I'll try shutting down with the checkbox unticked, then shut down again with the checkbox ticked and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the reply!

Okay, fair enough. When you say "It was sticking after boot previously" are you saying that it worked with a previous version of the app (v1.0.2 or older) or earlier in time with the latest version of the app (v1.0.3)? If you muster up the courage to take a logcat, I'll take a look and see if I can help. Otherwise, I'm afraid there's not much I can do since it works for me.
13th October 2012, 10:51 PM   |  #19  

260 posts
More
Quote:

Okay, fair enough. When you say "It was sticking after boot previously" are you saying that it worked with a previous version of the app (v1.0.2 or older) or earlier in time with the latest version of the app (v1.0.3)? If you muster up the courage to take a logcat, I'll take a look and see if I can help. Otherwise, I'm afraid there's not much I can do since it works for me.

It was sticking previously on v1.0.3. Yesterday, my phone froze on the camera app, and rebooted by itself (I think it still stuck then though). Then, I went back to the camera app, and it froze again, but didn't reboot by itself, so I had to manually hard reset it by holding down the power button for about 5 seconds. Then, when it rebooted after that, I don't think the settings stuck. After I shut down my phone for the night, then turned it back on this morning, the settings didn't stick, even though the option was ticked to have it stick after boot. I need to try shutting down or rebooting again with the option ticked, because this only happened once or twice so far. Yeah, I know I'm being a total noob right now lol. Sorry! I really appreciate your help though. I'll let you know if I end up getting a logcat. But I think it has something to do with the hard reset/reboots.
17th October 2012, 02:31 AM   |  #20  

260 posts
More
UPDATE: The camera app froze on me once again (still on the 10-12 nightly) and the phone rebooted by itself. When I unlocked the phone after it had rebooted, I saw text that said "Capacitive buttons brightness has been granted superuser permissions." Then, it shut off the capacitive lights like it should at boot. However, right after they shut off, they immediately came back on. So I believe the app is shutting them off initially (which is the option I have selected; also, it gives the "granted superuser permissions" text), and then somehow they come back on. Hope this helps! I'm still trying to man up to get that logcat haha.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread