Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,279 Members 52,402 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][Nov-13-2013] Capacitive Buttons v1.0.13

Tip us?

denversc
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 316

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkel777 View Post
UPDATE: The camera app froze on me once again (still on the 10-12 nightly) and the phone rebooted by itself. When I unlocked the phone after it had rebooted, I saw text that said "Capacitive buttons brightness has been granted superuser permissions." Then, it shut off the capacitive lights like it should at boot. However, right after they shut off, they immediately came back on. So I believe the app is shutting them off initially (which is the option I have selected; also, it gives the "granted superuser permissions" text), and then somehow they come back on. Hope this helps! I'm still trying to man up to get that logcat haha.
Thanks for the update. I think you're right, that the app is indeed setting the capacitive button brightness on boot, but then something else is setting it to some other value. Perhaps some other app that you've installed is doing it, or there is some CM10 ROM setting that is changing the brightness. I'm currently running CM10, cm-10-20121012-NIGHTLY-evita.zip (which is the same as you), and I don't see any options to control the capacitive button brightness nor do I experience the issue that you are.

Did you by any chance flash Turge's MOD to set the capacitive button brightness: link? If you did then my app and his MOD would be "competing" to set the brightness on boot.

Also, let me know if there is anything "blocking" you from capturing a logcat. A logcat is the most standard log captured by Android developers and is an incredible tool for debugging problems just like this. If you're concerned about posting it publicly, you could even PM it to me.
Capacitive Buttons App - Control the brightness of the capacitive buttons (back, home, recent tasks) on HTC One X devices
denver@sleepydragon.org
@sleepydragonsw
The Following User Says Thank You to denversc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jkel777
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by denversc View Post
Thanks for the update. I think you're right, that the app is indeed setting the capacitive button brightness on boot, but then something else is setting it to some other value. Perhaps some other app that you've installed is doing it, or there is some CM10 ROM setting that is changing the brightness. I'm currently running CM10, cm-10-20121012-NIGHTLY-evita.zip (which is the same as you), and I don't see any options to control the capacitive button brightness nor do I experience the issue that you are.

Did you by any chance flash Turge's MOD to set the capacitive button brightness: link? If you did then my app and his MOD would be "competing" to set the brightness on boot.

Also, let me know if there is anything "blocking" you from capturing a logcat. A logcat is the most standard log captured by Android developers and is an incredible tool for debugging problems just like this. If you're concerned about posting it publicly, you could even PM it to me.
I didn't download Turge's MOD, so I'm still at a loss for what's causing it. I don't think I installed any apps that would compete with your app... when the next nightly comes out, I'll flash it and then see if everything gets fixed.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2
Current device: HTC One GPe - Android Revolution HD 3.2 GE

denversc
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 316

DONATE TO ME
FYI: Just found someone saying they used a Tasker script to flash the capacitive buttons when messages are received: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1948808
Capacitive Buttons App - Control the brightness of the capacitive buttons (back, home, recent tasks) on HTC One X devices
denver@sleepydragon.org
@sleepydragonsw

denversc
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 316

DONATE TO ME
Version 1.0.4 released. You can either install the APK from the link in the OP, or wait for a few hours for the new version to become active in the Google Play Store.

Chanes in v1.0.4
  • provide visual indication when the brightness buttons are clicked
  • produce better error message if device is not rooted or root permission denied
  • "Default" button added to enable reverting the brightness setting to the default
  • images are not as badly pixelated as before (still a bit though)
  • translations for the words "Settings" and "About" added
  • contentDescription attribute added to ImageView elements, to improve accessibility
denver@sleepydragon.org
@sleepydragonsw
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to denversc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scrosler
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 51,644

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
This small application allows you to change the brightness of the capacitive buttons (back, home, and recent tasks) on the HTC One X. Root is required in order for this application to work. This application works on any ROM, including CleanROM, ViperXL, Cyanogenmod, AOKP, and MIUI.

Feel free to bake this app into custom ROMs or publish it in other places. No need to ask permission from me. However, I am quite interested personally in different places that this app is used. So if you do include it in a ROM or whatever feel free to post a note to this thread to let me know! The app is licensed under the GPL, which means you can even take it apart and include it in your own stuff... I just ask that you honor the spirit of the GPL (unlike HTC's 120-day policy... grrr!)

@sleepydragonsw
Very good! I plan on using this in my next build of CleanROM!

franki_667
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Love it

Sent from my One X using xda premium

ImagioX1
Old
(Last edited by ImagioX1; 22nd November 2012 at 03:32 AM.)
Thanks Meter 3,282

DONATE TO ME
Deleted
If you like my work please consider donating.
MagioROM Founder/ Developer

xGIBRALTERx
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Very nice. How well does this affect battery life?

denversc
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 316

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGIBRALTERx View Post
Very nice. How well does this affect battery life?
I haven't measured, but it probably has negligible impact on battery life. The capacitive button backlight is on so rarely in the grand scheme of things and is such a small light that I imagine it makes no noticeable difference.

The primary motivation for me personally using this app is aesthetics. For example, when watching a YouTube video in a dark room it is nice to have the backlight buttons off. Also, I prefer the "dim" setting compared to the bright for normal use.
denver@sleepydragon.org
@sleepydragonsw
The Following User Says Thank You to denversc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xGIBRALTERx
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
I haven't measured, but it probably has negligible impact on battery life. The capacitive button backlight is on so rarely in the grand scheme of things and is such a small light that I imagine it makes no noticeable difference.

The primary motivation for me personally using this app is aesthetics. For example, when watching a YouTube video in a dark room it is nice to have the backlight buttons off. Also, I prefer the "dim" setting compared to the bright for normal use.
Ah hah. Thanks for sharing this is pretty cool.