Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,105 Members 52,050 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Do You Think That AD-Blocking is really a major step in Security?
YES. Protects me from Armageddon. I feel so safe. 1,375 52.14%
YES. Protects me from going Here n There. 864 32.76%
NO. I think i am so smart and secure. 82 3.11%
NOT SURE. Who wants Security n Why? 61 2.31%
CRAP. My Phone is an Open Book. 51 1.93%
SILENCE. 204 7.74%
Voters: 2637. You may not vote on this poll

(MoaAB) Mother of All AD-BLOCKING (02 JULY 2014) BLOCKS Malware Spyware Bloatware

Tip us?

BSDgeek_Jake
Old
(Last edited by BSDgeek_Jake; 4th August 2014 at 08:17 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4097
Default (MoaAB) Mother of All AD-BLOCKING (02 JULY 2014) BLOCKS Malware Spyware Bloatware

Apps Store Full of Malware. MoaAB is the Answer!

Interstitial ADs. MoaAB is the Answer!

Updated on 02 JULY 2014

The Purpose of this Project is to make Device CLEANER, FASTER, SMOOTHER & FRIENDLY.

:::::::::: CURRENTLY 506328 DOMAINS BLOCKED (Adware/Malware/Spyware/Bloatware) ::::::::::

THIS WILL BE THE SAFEST and SECURE AD BLOCKING RELEASE TILL DATE.

Due to some technical issues i lost my earlier XDA credentials and related posts. NOW-on i will be 'BSDgeek_Jake'

Here i present the (MoaAB) Mother of AD BLOCKING to STOP those Annoying ADs (Text and Media), Crazy Malware and Spyware, Bloatware, Possibly POP-Ups and other Nonsense Unwanted Parasites from the Internet.

NOTE: Some GooglePlay/Amazon images/icons might be blocked due to the fact that they are hosted from AdServers. I am Sorry for the inconvience. But you can manually remove entries from 'hosts' file as per your wish.

--------------------
The IDEA is to Minimize the ADs... NOT Total Eradication. Respect the Good Developers.

FREEDOM NOTE: My ADBlocking MOD realizes that advertising and revenue is important to OEM/App Developers and this is how they earn money, BUT too much Advertisements are instrusion to privacy (I am also an App Developer but I Really Dont Like ADs). Advertisements are not automatically blocked but users have the choice whether to block or not block by manually Fashing my ADBlocking CWM MOD.

GENERAL KNOWLEDGE: This MOD will Save you CPU Processing used in Advertisement Contents, In-App Ads, Hidden App Call-Back Home Routines, Malware/Spyware Sites, In-App User Data Collection, Definitely... Stupid Garbage from Internet and Precious Bandwidth resulting Extended Battery Life and Money Saved in Internet bills. THINK ABOUT IT.
--------------------

>>> What is a 'hosts' file? What it Does? Whats in it for Me?
The 'hosts' file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names and loaded into memory (cache) at startup. Android OS checks the 'hosts' file before it queries any DNS servers, which enables it to override addresses in the DNS. This prevents access to the listed sites by redirecting any connection attempts back to the localhost (127.0.0.1), which is a loopback and traffic is dropped instantly (saving your millions of money used by network traffic 2G/3G/4G). Another feature of the 'hosts' file is its ability to block other applications (bogus applications) from connecting to the Internet, providing the entry exists.

'hosts' file is used to BLOCK ADs, BLOCK Banners, BLOCK 3rd Party Cookies, BLOCK 3rd Party Page Counters, BLOCK Web Bugs, BLOCK Web Hijackers, BLOCK Phishing Sites, BLOCK Malwares, BLOCK Spywares, BLOCK Trackers, BLOCK Unauthorized Application connections to web and BLOCK other Malicious activities...

This is not 100% Protection but atleast it takes care of ALMOST ALL OF THE SECURITY ISSUES FACING FROM THE BAD SITES.

For full Security, Use Antivirus or Security Suite from Android Market.

>>> Performance Issue? Will my device run SLOW?
I am using this 'hosts' file from my chilhood days and never had any performance issue to date, Although you might have a little delay in startup for few seconds (but you will not even notice) and then everything will be cool in standby and active mode. I say "Little delay is better than ADs, Malwares and Spywares..."

>>> Compatibility?
ANDROID FAMILY: 4.0.x, 4.1.x, 4.2.x, 4.3.x 4.4.x
DEVICE FAMILY: Anything which has 1 GB RAM
minimum and 1Ghz CPU minimum.

This MOD requires some amount of RAM and CPU for effective functionality. Anything below the compatibility specs might be working But DO NOT PM me or POST on this thread for issues. I Don't and Won't Support.

WiFi/Mobile: Please disable PROXY to use this 'MOD' else no blocking will happen.

>>> How to install?
Just Flash in Clockworkmod Recovery (CWM) and Thats It. ENJOY

TWRP Supported (reported by users)

Non 'root' users/devices can use Adfree/Adblock app and add this 'hosts' file subscription locally. Extract the hosts.zip and place it somewhere on sdcard and link it with the Adfree/Adblock app (i am not sure of its working so help will be available somewhere in this forum...)

>>> What is the Updated Cycle?
Whenever i feel its Time and based on User requests... Security First.

>>> Any Qyeries?

Ok. Throw me some questions

>>> What is BLOCKED?

In-App/Web ADs, In-App/Web Trackers, Malware/Spyware Domains, Tracker Cookies, Malicious Call-Back Home App Functions, Malicious 3rd Party Redirection Functions and Possibly Some Level of Virus/Trojan Protection and More...

CAUTION: IMPORTANT NOTE to USERS This is not an APP but A Single file (MASSIVE ), So my packages is not altering any system functions, automating tasks, requiring frequent user interactions or installing/uninstalling system events. This package is not doing anything malicious but just sitting there and speaking/directing where to go or not... thats it. I hope All is Clear Please do not complain of bootloops, softbricks or hardbricks, i am not responsible

CAUTION: IMPORTANT NOTE to APP DEVELOPERS & AD OWNERS This is not an Interception App or Reverse Engineering Code BUT an Android Standard defined for user configuration. I am trying to make my Device (which i own in terms of Hardware/Software which i Paid for) much CLEANER, FASTER, SMOOTHER & F
RIENDLY for general use . My program will not alter any of the installed App/s or inject any interception code in your App/s . All Request/s and Response/s are handled by OS (Android) layer. In no way to want to hurt the Developer BUT my priority is CLEAN DEVICE.

If anyone (Users or Developers) wants to exclude the domains or sub-domains from this MOD please PM me with possible reasons. I will be happy to help you.

The Purpose of this Project is to make Device
CLEANER, FASTER, SMOOTHER & FRIENDLY. In the End i want my Device to be MINE.

>>> DISCLAIMER
This 'hosts' file will possible block harmful effects, active and passive intrusion of potential sites or apps but using this also/might block regular site and/or apps. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED and USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I take no responsibility of any losses and damages to your Hardware or your Software component/s caused by this piece of code. You have been given the choice of NOT FLASHING or TO FLASH the ADBlocking CWM and yourself choosen the way to stop the ADs. This MOD might also block regular domains because of the extreme blocking nature. You will also be protected from Malware/Spyware/Bloatware but limited to the extent of updates. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED HAPPY AD-BLOCKING

>>> DOWNLOADs

ONLY for Rooted Phone/s.

* LATEST_MoaAB_ADBlocking_SuperBlock_xxxx2014_CWM.zi p CWM Installer Recommended (Dev-Host)

* ARCHIVED_MoaAB_ADBlocking_xxxx2014_CWM.zip CWM Installer for Last Release Recommended (Dev-Host)

* Direct Link for Apps:
http://adblock.mahakala.is ( super credits to nagpochenpo)

REVERT this MOD and Reset to Stock (Dev-Host)

>>> How to Know if this MOD is WORKING???
Go here & Follow instructions
http://ads-blocker.com/testing

News Flash and Review/s @

sgnuffitech.it (copy at google coral) (please translate from bing to get it in english)

Public License for ROM and for
Auxiliary Work
You can Distribute my MOD with my Permissions. Distribution should include my XDA name 'BSDgeek_Jake' and Link to this 'ADBlocking MOD' thread in your Credits sections/About sections and Properly Visible to Human Eyes. Distribution should be synced with the latest MOD updates or Can be pointed to the MOD download in Dev-Host. Please PM me for any queries.

And... If You Like my MoaAB MOD... Remember to Press...Thanks button
DID I HELP YOU ???
Please Press THANKS or
Donate to me.

DEVICE: S5 SM-G900H Exynos 5 Octa
ROM: STOCK XXU1ANG3

RADIO: XXU1ANG3
STORAGE: Samsung 64Gb C10 UHS1
IEM: Cowon EH2

DAP: FiiO E18
My MOD: MoaAB, Viper4Android

The Following 1,505 Users Say Thank You to BSDgeek_Jake For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Obagleyfreer
Old
Thanks Meter 777
Thanks for this! If I already have a hosts file with lots of blocked addresses in my /etc and system/etc folders how can I add these?

Thank you for your help

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app
GT-I9505
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Obagleyfreer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BSDgeek_Jake
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4097
Default to Obagleyfreer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obagleyfreer View Post
Thanks for this! If I already have a hosts file with lots of blocked addresses in my /etc and system/etc folders how can I add these?

Thank you for your help

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app
Hi Obagleyfreer,

You can append the hosts file to your '/etc/hosts' either by some terminal program (BetterTerminal) or copy your '/etc/hosts' to your PC and manually append then re-copy over USB.

I strongly recommend to use my version of 'hosts' file over yours due to the fact that it contains updated BLOCKING Data from more than 5 sources. It also contains Custom BLOCKING Data based on my analysis.

Happy BLOCKING.
The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to BSDgeek_Jake For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Vektor67
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Question Thank you for this

I love getting rid of apps and doing stuff manually. I can of course just copy paste this, but I'm trying to learn and acclimate myself to adb, so I don't stress each time I wish to use it for mission critical stuff. If anyone can effortlessly provide the adb commands, I can of course spend a half hour Googling and another hour messing up my syntax, for which I keep my Wakizashi nearby...just in case Seppuku begin pulling me(pun intended).

I know I need to do my time in UNIX and as in all things it will become second nature eventually. With self teaching ala Google, and fear of asking questions and almost certainly being flamed or ridiculed, with a heavy dose of sarcasm by those who've forgotten what it was like being to be a noob. It happens often that the answer to my question was to be found buried in an obscure thread from three years ago, which I failed to retrieve, as my query wasn't phrased just so. (I apologize in advance for my unfair rant, please do accept, it began in an attempt for a little light comic relief, and morphed into a bitter montser) thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide, or even for just disregarding my vent and not holding it against me. I do feel better for it. I promise to help people all I can out once I've got a solid grip on Unix based CLI
Cheers
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Vektor67 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CiscoX
Old
(Last edited by CiscoX; 8th May 2013 at 11:30 PM.)
Thanks Meter 65
Hi.

Thank you very much for your hard work on this hosts file, but could you please also add busbox'x hosts file to into this one.
Because i see now that not all the ad's from installed apps i have installed on my phone are been blocked by your hosts file but they are blocked by busybox.
- Xperia Z1 (C6903) v.14.4.A.0.108 (KitKat 4.4.4)

Rom: Stock
Kernel: Stock
Rooted: YES
Unlocked Bootloader: NO
Memory Card: ScanDisk Extreme microSDHC 32GB 80/50MB/s class 10
- Xperia Z (C6603) v.10.5.A.0.230
(KitKat 4.4.2)

Rom: Stock
Kernel: Stock
Rooted: YES
Unlocked Bootloader: NO
Memory Card: NO
Other phones: Xperia GO(ST27i), Xperia Tipo(ST21i) & Xperia Active(ST17i)
The Following User Says Thank You to CiscoX For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pdinphx
Old
Thanks Meter 197

DONATE TO ME
When I installed this host file, I noticed that it was easily 2x the size of my old host file.

Thanks for all your hard work !!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium
Pj
Phoenix, AZ

“If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything”
(SuckerPunch, 2011)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pdinphx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mai77
Old
Thanks Meter 521
Arrow comparison

this hosts file sure took hard work to put together. I installed it, but for now I reverted back to ad-away cuz there were many ads in european newspapers 'n crappy stuff. I put it to owner = system cuz I I couldn't put it to owner = root. r-r-r- was set properly. maybe you could feed your hosts into the ad-away project and merge it.

BSDgeek_Jake
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4097
Quote:
Originally Posted by mai77 View Post
this hosts file sure took hard work to put together. I installed it, but for now I reverted back to ad-away cuz there were many ads in european newspapers 'n crappy stuff. I put it to owner = system cuz I I couldn't put it to owner = root. r-r-r- was set properly. maybe you could feed your hosts into the ad-away project and merge it.
Make Sure You are 'ROOT' (Superuser or SuperSu)

Just open 'Root Explorer' and copy the 'hosts' file to '/etc/' or '/system/etc'. tap and hold on 'hosts' file and tap on 'Permissions'. Set it rw-r-r and Owner to root:root. Reboot and Thats It.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to BSDgeek_Jake For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mai77
Old
Thanks Meter 521
I did that now. still lotsa ads in da newspapers. one was about stupid natural gas from Statoil, Norway. can't have dat crap.

will go back to ad.away
maintained SGY instructions and kernel report
Ynterstellar Yphone assemblY on Youngdroid YdeologY
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mai77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mai77
Old
(Last edited by mai77; 15th October 2012 at 04:19 PM.)
Thanks Meter 521
Ok. now I used yaffs explorer to edit file permissions. Works with above settings. Still set ad away active, but with This «hosts»

All ads gone. Nice!
maintained SGY instructions and kernel report
Ynterstellar Yphone assemblY on Youngdroid YdeologY

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mai77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
adaway, adblock, adfree, hosts, hosts file