5,606,779 Members 38,185 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

why can't Samsung/Google sue Apple regarding the notification shade?

Tip us?
 
Jamolah
Old
#1  
Jamolah's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Posts: 604
Join Date: Jan 2008
Default why can't Samsung/Google sue Apple regarding the notification shade?

Since Android came out with the notification shade first why can't Samsung/Google sue Apple?
Motorola MotoX

Previous phones
Samsung Galaxy S3 - Rolled over and broke the screen.
Samsung Galaxy S2 HD LTE - Sold, too slow
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - stock (ROGERS ROM)
Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE - Screen smashed started peeling off
SE Xperia X10 - stopped charging the battery and when I'd put a new one it would drain it and shut-off
HTC Diamond - (started to die on me and battery would barely hold a charge).
HTC Touch (Elfin) - Screen broke (went all white).
The_Blue_Waffle Old
#2  
Guest
Thanks Meter
Posts: n/a
Open source

sent from the only phone running paranoid xperiance
 
rjohnstone
Old
(Last edited by rjohnstone; 2nd October 2012 at 09:32 PM.)
#3  
rjohnstone's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 115
Posts: 541
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blue_Waffle View Post
Open source

sent from the only phone running paranoid xperiance
Nope... The pull down is not open source.

Google's patent on the notification pull down is still pending.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20090249247


Once granted (if that ever happens), they can pursue licensing or legal remedies if they are warranted.
Samsung would be a licensee, they would have no legal standing to sue.
Current:
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (T-Mobile - Stock 4.4.2-Rooted)

Other (Retired):
Samsung GS4 (AT&T - Stock 4.4.2-FMLD)
Samsung GS3 (AT&T - Stock 4.3-Rooted)
Samsung GS2 Skyrocket (CM 10.1)
Nokia Lumia 520 (Cool phone to play with)
The_Blue_Waffle Old
#4  
Guest
Thanks Meter
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnstone View Post
Nope... The pull down is not open source.

Google's patent on the notification pull down is still pending.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20090249247


Once granted (if that ever happens), they can pursue licensing or legal remedies if they are warranted.
Samsung would be a licensee, they would have no legal standing to sue.
Lol I was talking out my ass moto just pulled a complaint recently I wonder why

sent from the only phone running paranoid xperiance

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

But anyway we all know apple invented the smartphone

sent from the only phone running paranoid xperiance
 
whosgotlag
Old
#5  
whosgotlag's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 478
Posts: 1,244
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolah View Post
Since Android came out with the notification shade first why can't Samsung/Google sue Apple?
Because these patents are very specific, like very very specific. Remember the GALAXY Nexus sales injunction? It was over universal search, which the Gnex still has. Google modified it a little and it passes through inspection.

Same with Apple, it's different enough from Android that it'll pass with flying colors

Sent from my SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

┬─┬ノ( _ ノ) chill out bro

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡 /(.□. \)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes