APKTool Updated with Android Lollipop Support

One of the beauties of Android is the level of flexibility we have over our devices. Whether … more

Lollipop Leak for Sprint Galaxy S5, TWRP for Micromax Canvas Magnus – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been leaked for the Sprint … more

Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Android Lollipop Lands for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The undisputed king of the beasts–at least in Sony’s current stable,is the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Kindle Fire HD Roms?

OP dalehelton

3rd October 2012, 05:44 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
I'm just gonna apologize in advance for this question, but I honestly don't know who else to ask. I'm the king of the noobs. There may be some unwritten rule not to ask this question so once again, sorry. I bought this Kindle Fire HD in hopes of custom roms, as I'm sure many did. $200.00 is a lot of money for me and I feel like I'm running out of time to send it back. So are custom roms something that will eventually happen or is it still a mystery? Are the chances really good it will happen or does anyone really know?
3rd October 2012, 06:17 AM   |  #2  
soupmagnet's Avatar
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 2,412
 
4,020 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
Never buy a new untested device in the hopes that it will get hacked. There was plenty of communication here about the new Kindle Fires being locked down weeks before it was released so that was probably not the best choice for you in the first place. If it gets modified, then it gets modified. If not, well, so be it. If you're worried about being able to exchange it, then go ahead and do so. Don't mess around with your investment. Get something you know suits your needs and be happy with it.

If you're wondering if it will EVER get modified, there's an old saying...

"The only "safe" system, is one that is unplugged, locked up in a safe with the keys, and sitting at the bottom of the ocean. And even then, there's cause for alarm."

Security measures are fallible, because the humans that made them are fallible. It all depends on how badly someone wants it. (I wouldn't hold my breath though)
The Following User Says Thank You to soupmagnet For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd October 2012, 06:57 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupmagnet

Never buy a new untested device in the hopes that it will get hacked. There was plenty of communication here about the new Kindle Fires being locked down weeks before it was released so that was probably not the best choice for you in the first place. If it gets modified, then it gets modified. If not, well, so be it. If you're worried about being able to exchange it, then go ahead and do so. Don't mess around with your investment. Get something you know suits your needs and be happy with it.

If you're wondering if it will EVER get modified, there's an old saying...

"The only "safe" system, is one that is unplugged, locked up in a safe with the keys, and sitting at the bottom of the ocean. And even then, there's cause for alarm."

Security measures are fallible, because the humans that made them are fallible. It all depends on how badly someone wants it. (I wouldn't hold my breath though)

Thank you for your quick response. I never even checked any post before it came out. I guess I've learned the hard way. Back it goes.
5th October 2012, 08:28 PM   |  #4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 18
 
58 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Pretty good when Rooted
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalehelton

Thank you for your quick response. I never even checked any post before it came out. I guess I've learned the hard way. Back it goes.

I have mine rooted with ADW Launcher EX (paid version) installed. That way I basically have a (almost) vanilla Android tablet (without the KFHD skin) running. The home button takes me back to ADW, not Amazon's launcher.

But I can still get to all the Amazon goodness by running Launcher.
5th October 2012, 09:35 PM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,859
 
767 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by no99sqrd

I have mine rooted with ADW Launcher EX (paid version) installed. That way I basically have a (almost) vanilla Android tablet (without the KFHD skin) running. The home button takes me back to ADW, not Amazon's launcher.

But I can still get to all the Amazon goodness by running Launcher.

Including Amazon Prime Video? Thanks in advance.
The Following User Says Thank You to O.a.T. For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th October 2012, 10:24 PM   |  #6  
alkemist80's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Pineapple under the sea
Thanks Meter: 69
 
362 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
More
The launchers are only an alternative skin. It doesn't replace anything else but that. There is an icon to easily get back to the amazon stock launcher so yes, all your amazon apps will work. There are additional icons that will spawn that will take you to video, app store and music. I believe the only one that is non functional with an alternative launcher is the kindle reader. You are forced to go back to the amazon launcher to get it to work. I've read people trying to fiddle with it to get it to work with alternative launchers.

Once roms are released (still dependent on the day the bootloader gets cracked), I'm thinking you will then have to choose either custom amazon or full android.
Last edited by alkemist80; 5th October 2012 at 10:26 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes