Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,179 Members 41,135 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] GALAXY NOTE 2 Metal back cover?

Tip us?

slice77
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by qazkamakazi View Post
I'm guessing you didn't read what I wrote despite you quoting it lol. If you read, I asked, with the nfc issue sorted. So in simpler words for you, a case supporting nfc.

Instead you just told me something I already know..
If you don't know of any, then next time you don't need to reply, as rather than answering my question all you just did is try to sound knowledgeable. Well done.

Anyway, asking questions on xda seems to get a lot of hate. Just read 2 other threads and it was filled with blunt, unhelpful replies.
There will not be a metal case that supports NFC because that is simply not possible. You would have to put a layer of shielding on the metal, then the antenna, then cover the antenna with plastic. Defeating the point of a metal back while increasing thicknesses. It's the number one reason the iPhone doesn't have NFC.

Sent from my GT-P6800 using xda app-developers app

clemson91
Old
(Last edited by clemson91; 13th October 2012 at 05:25 AM.)
Thanks Meter 82
Default Here ya Go

I just happen to stumble upon these today on Ebay, they seem like exactly what you wanted.

White Model http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-cover-...item1c2c14541c

Grey Model http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATTERY-COVE...item19d5f67c13

I hadn't thought about these, but they are actually nice looking.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clemson91 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

busab
Old
Thanks Meter 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemson91 View Post
I just happen to stumble upon these today on Ebay, they seem like exactly what you wanted.

White Model http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-cover-...item1c2c14541c

Grey Model http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATTERY-COVE...item19d5f67c13

I hadn't thought about these, but they are actually nice looking.
Those look VERY nice! I just bought one. Thanks for sharing this!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

FloatingFatMan
Old
Thanks Meter 536
Quote:
If he was referring to the gsm, then my bad.

The note 2 is perfect, I had the Dell streak before the note series etc as I'm in love 5" phabs,
I just wondered if alternatives were available, the current back looks good but I'm just a fan of metal covers.
So don't get it wrong as I'm not slating the current back.

So anyway, if it's not available then never mind, curiosity was just asking.
That's exactly what I was referring to. A metal back cover WILL interfere with your cell & wifi signals. They won't be blocked entirely as they can come through the front, but no signal will make it through the back of the device, thus degrading your signal.
No stupid giant pics here! Just two lines of text!
Current Devices: Nokia Lumia 930, ASUS T100TA Convertible Tablet

clemson91
Old
Thanks Meter 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by busab View Post
Those look VERY nice! I just bought one. Thanks for sharing this!

Ha, small world I live in Columbia, SC.

Slap-Yourself :)
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Has anybody seen these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminium-Br...item53ef3e0585

qazkamakazi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Interesting, i was goint to say, if NFC was the only problem, then I wouldn't mind sacrificing the NFC, as its main use, NFC payment, hasnt been rolled out much in the UK.
But since everything else is blocked then I guess this thread and the idea is pointless.

Anyway, Just saw the links posted above, interesting indeed.
The grey titanium one posted above seems to have plastic inside with a metal back,

busab, you said you bought one, when it comes, mind sharing any signal problems, if any?

EmptyArea
Old
Thanks Meter 261
Sounds like the only metal option is a bumper of some sort, paired with some funky back cover design would do.

Sent from my Desire HD using xda app-developers app
If you haven't read prepare to be ignored, or worse.

busab
Old
Thanks Meter 171
Quote:
Interesting, i was goint to say, if NFC was the only problem, then I wouldn't mind sacrificing the NFC, as its main use, NFC payment, hasnt been rolled out much in the UK.
But since everything else is blocked then I guess this thread and the idea is pointless.

Anyway, Just saw the links posted above, interesting indeed.
The grey titanium one posted above seems to have plastic inside with a metal back,

busab, you said you bought one, when it comes, mind sharing any signal problems, if any?
Yeah I will share my results. I am waiting on the Tmobile version of the note 2 to be released though. Hopefully the battery door and the phone will show up around the same time

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemson91 View Post
Ha, small world I live in Columbia, SC.
Indeed it is my friend! :beer:

The Following User Says Thank You to busab For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

busab
Old
(Last edited by busab; 25th October 2012 at 05:45 AM.)
Thanks Meter 171
Ok so I got my metal back cover in the mail today and I also got my tmobile note 2 also today. Great timing huh?

Quality wise its decent. The only problem is the "galaxy note II" lettering on the back. The "note" part is kinda messed up. I'll see if I can get some pictures up here in a bit.

It fits perfectly, so no issues there. It feels really nice to the touch and I prefer it to the stock battery cover. It just makes it feel more sturdy.

As far as signal goes, I really don't see any difference. I am in a fairly strong signal area though. Maybe it will make a difference in fringe areas but I'll just have to wait and see.

Anyway that's my quick little review.

Edit: I went into the phone status menu and looked at the signal strength with the metal cover on and with it off. With it off it was hovering around -93,with it on it was staying around -97. So it does affect the signal a little bit.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

The Following User Says Thank You to busab For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
android, galaxy note 2, samsung