XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Unroot or back to stock

Tip us?

tamoquera
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Tablet Unroot or back to stock

I'm interested in knowing if there is any method to unroot the Kindle Fire HD. A method to get back to stock would be useful as well. Just in case I had to send it back to Amazon. I've been searching several forums (finding nothing) before asking this question. Thanks!

Chelle01
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamoquera View Post
I'm interested in knowing if there is any method to unroot the Kindle Fire HD. A method to get back to stock would be useful as well. Just in case I had to send it back to Amazon. I've been searching several forums (finding nothing) before asking this question. Thanks!

They have some tools that can un root. And I believe if you do a factory reset it erases root.

soupmagnet
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelle01 View Post
They have some tools that can un root. And I believe if you do a factory reset it erases root.
Yes, a factory reset from within the stock KF recovery will break root and revert the device to stock.

kinfauns
Old
Developer Committee / Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 2872
I'm going to say that this is not entirely correct. Using the factory reset will break an app's ability to perform rooted tasks (because Superuser will be gone), but it's not going to return the device back to stock. The su binary will still be in place on the system. To really go back to stock, you'll have to go in as root, remount the system read/write, delete the su binary and reboot.
XDA Developers - Developer Committee / Senior Moderator
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinfauns For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tamoquera
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinfauns View Post
I'm going to say that this is not entirely correct. Using the factory reset will break an app's ability to perform rooted tasks (because Superuser will be gone), but it's not going to return the device back to stock. The su binary will still be in place on the system. To really go back to stock, you'll have to go in as root, remount the system read/write, delete the su binary and reboot.
Thanks for all your answers. So If I'm right doing what you said (erasing the su binary) and performing a factory reset the device could be sent back to amazon, I guess that Google Play and all that stuff will desappear without leaving any trace. Am I right? Thanks again

Xyth
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamoquera View Post
Thanks for all your answers. So If I'm right doing what you said (erasing the su binary) and performing a factory reset the device could be sent back to amazon, I guess that Google Play and all that stuff will desappear without leaving any trace. Am I right? Thanks again
I just tried this as I wanted to start over and do a clean load after root now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing. Upon starting after factory reset, the kindle presented the dialog box asking me to choose a default launcher. This would indicate anything you install into the system folder needs to be deleted prior to resetting.

alkemist80
Old
(Last edited by alkemist80; 7th October 2012 at 11:03 PM.)
Thanks Meter 68
Factory reset does not unroot the system. I've done this multiple times.

I sent my rooted but factory reset KFHD back to amazon for a refund. I made sure to delete any files I put in system/apps and anywhere else in the system folders. The factory reset will not clear those files out.

I took the risk and I received a refund a couple hours after they received my device. Most likely it will go back to whomever refurbs their kindle fires and then it will be returned to full stock. I did not find any info so far as to unrooting the KFHD.

Might be different scenario if you sent it back for service.

PS. I made sure to drain the battery and turned off the device and packed it up. Also if you are using anything such as a secondary launcher, I would go back to KF launcher and then delete. Deleting it while using such might cause it to go into a force close loops. Same for keyboard, etc.

Rooted Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
Rooted Nexus 5
Rooted HP Touchpad - Dual Boot - ICS
The Following User Says Thank You to alkemist80 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tamoquera
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemist80 View Post

I sent my rooted but factory reset KFHD back to amazon for a refund. I made sure to delete any files I put in system/apps and anywhere else in the system folders. The factory reset will not clear those files out.

I took the risk and I received a refund a couple hours after they received my device. Most likely it will go back to whomever refurbs their kindle fires and then it will be returned to full stock. I did not find any info so far as to unrooting the KFHD.

PS. I made sure to drain the battery and turned off the device and packed it up. Also if you are using anything such as a secondary launcher, I would go back to KF launcher and then delete. Deleting it while using such might cause it to go into a force close loops. Same for keyboard, etc.
Happy to hear that. I thought that doing a factory reset wasn't enough, but I was waiting for a confirmation.
You were lucky that amazon has such an amazing customer service.

mobiletnerd
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks so much!!

jazzlim
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemist80 View Post

Hi can i know after a factory reset, will all the default software and apk be restored as well? I deleted some system/app file and it causes some problem for me. And does that mean I do not need to root again after the reset? thks