Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,305 Members 44,950 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Have you rooted your Spice Mi 500?
Yes, I'm a Superman! 35 85.37%
Nope, I belong to a conservative family. 6 14.63%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Spice Mi 500: All Things Root thread

Tip us?

droidiser
Old
(Last edited by droidiser; 19th August 2013 at 12:22 PM.) Reason: Added CWM
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 685

DONATE TO ME
Prompt Spice Mi 500: All Things Root thread

Hi friends and spice mi 500 owners!
As local devices like mi 500 don't have a separate section for them on xda, here's a specific thread for our mi 500 where you can share everything related to the phone: ROMs, recoveries, themes, games you can play and everything that can be done on an Android.

Rooting your phone:
  1. Download Bin4ry rooting tool from his thread.
  2. Install drivers on your windows pc using pdanet.
  3. Connect your phone to your pc.
  4. Unzip Bin4ry's tool and run the RunMe.bat batch script.
  5. Follow the instructions that roll in the command window and you will be done.

A big thanks to Nileshtambe for this.

ClockworkMod ported to Spice Mi 500!
  1. Download CWM or TWRP recovery.
  2. Rename the downloaded file to recovery.img and transfer it to your phone's sd card.
  3. Download Mobile uncle MTK Tools from Play Store.
  4. Open the app and select update recovery.
  5. Select yes in the confirmation dialog and your recovery will be flashed.

Thank you Yuweng for porting CWM, and NileshTambe for confirming it's working.

Specs of Spice Mi 500:
Dimensions: 143x77.4x10.5 mm
GSM Phone,Quad-band GSM 850/ 900/ 1800/ 1900
MHz
Battery: 2400 mAh
5" TFT display with 480x800 resolution, 186.59 ppi density and 0.1361 mm dot pitch.
Weight: 205 g
Capacitive multitouch touch screen
Storage:
Internal: 2.07 GB
External: upto 32 GB
Ram: 512 MB
ROM: 4 GB

CAMERA:
Secondary/back camera: 5 megapixels with autofocus and dual LED flash
Primary Camera: 0.3 megapixel

GPS/A-GPS, proximity sensor, accelerometer

The phone is dual Sim and supports dual standby. Other hardware features include 3G, Bluetooth, Wifi and everything else generally found in a phone.

The phone can currently be ordered from saholic for inr 12,499.

Whatever follows ahead is not meant for noobs, neither for those who don't want to risk their devices. Following anything below might lead you to voiding your manufacturer warranty.

P.S. If any developer has got this device, please port clockwork mood recovery to this device. If you have got any specific rooting method that worked for your mi 500, post it below our pm me.

Spice Mi 310 | Rooted, CM7
Karbonn Smart Tab 8 Velox | Rooted, Stock ROM
Karbonn A12+ Rooted, Heavily Modified Stock 4.2

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to droidiser For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

droidiser
Old
Thanks Meter 685

DONATE TO ME
Reserved

droidiser
Old
Thanks Meter 685

DONATE TO ME
Reserved for future

contactsonia
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Subscribed.
Real Value Hosting - Every day hosting solutions since 2003

vind_r
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Plug Received my Spice Mi-500 - running commentary

Just received it 18 hours ago - this will be a running commentary on it. In a week's time I will post my full review

1) Looks good - not too bulky
2) Screen resolution is 800x480 - but its not pixelated. Screen bright and colors look accurate
3) Camera pathetic - some software bug creates hyper-contrasted and hyper-colored photos - needs a software update to fix this (NB: changing the camera settings on contrast, color, etc does nothing and photos still look pretty bad)
4) No compass - no magnetic sensor - Is this not present or has this not been activated??
5) The CPU and GPU are pretty good - MTK6577 dual core 1Ghz processor is fast and Antutu benchmark scores are very close to the Samsung S2. GPU works well on HD games (not fully tested)
6) Software is android 4.0.4 - not too many tweaks by Spice. A few preinstalled apps like TOI, dhingana, etc
7) Very responsive and fluid - no hangups or crashes yet
8) Battery life seems fine (but, not fully tested). GPS sucks away battery at the rate of 1% per minute. 3G usage is not as battery hungry

18hr report - great value for money phone - desperately needs a software update to fix the camera bug
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vind_r For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

droidiser
Old
(Last edited by droidiser; 10th October 2012 at 08:42 AM.)
Thanks Meter 685

DONATE TO ME
Hello Vind_r,
Welcome to xda (I noticed it was your first post) and also to this thread.
Have you had any prior experience with any Android smartphone? Do you know rooting and stuff? If yes, then please check out if the processor given in the original post works for the mi 500 or not.
If no, you might want to check out the [URL ="http://www.droidiser.com/2012/07/must-have-apps-for-android-beginners.html"]list of must have apps for your new Android phone.[/URL]

Coming to the benchmark thing, can you post a screenshot/snap of the benchmark screen showing the results. Also try out the quadrant benchmark score and post it here so that we can compare it with some other devices. You're the only one here (at present) who is having the device, that's why I am asking you to do so much stuff :P

droidiser
Old
Thanks Meter 685

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by vind_r View Post
3) Camera pathetic - some software bug creates hyper-contrasted and hyper-colored photos - needs a software update to fix this
Try alternative camera apps from the play store. Search for "camera"to get few relevant apps.

Quote:
No compass - no magnetic sensor - Is
this not present or has this not been
activated??
Try this compass application:https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....compass&hl=en

If it works fine, your device has a magnetic sensor. Android phones most probably have a magnetic sensor.

rjunraj
Old
Thanks Meter 304
Quote:
Just received it 18 hours ago - this will be a running commentary on it. In a week's time I will post my full review

1) Looks good - not too bulky
2) Screen resolution is 800x480 - but its not pixelated. Screen bright and colors look accurate
3) Camera pathetic - some software bug creates hyper-contrasted and hyper-colored photos - needs a software update to fix this (NB: changing the camera settings on contrast, color, etc does nothing and photos still look pretty bad)
4) No compass - no magnetic sensor - Is this not present or has this not been activated??
5) The CPU and GPU are pretty good - MTK6577 dual core 1Ghz processor is fast and Antutu benchmark scores are very close to the Samsung S2. GPU works well on HD games (not fully tested)
6) Software is android 4.0.4 - not too many tweaks by Spice. A few preinstalled apps like TOI, dhingana, etc
7) Very responsive and fluid - no hangups or crashes yet
8) Battery life seems fine (but, not fully tested). GPS sucks away battery at the rate of 1% per minute. 3G usage is not as battery hungry

18hr report - great value for money phone - desperately needs a software update to fix the camera bug
Can u plz post antutu,quadrant,nenamrk,nenamark 2 scores?
Is it scratch resistent?
which you is present in this phone?
does it gets heated?
is it really 200 grams ?
how is the battery life on heavy usage?
can it play nova and gta or any HD game like those?
how are all the sensors?
how is web browsing?
does second Sim gets disabled while first has data connection on?
does the screen gets fingerprints?
is the body made of cheap plastic our and solid material?
how does it feels in hand? is it easy to carry and has a comfortable grip?
can it be really used with single hand i mean can your fingers reach every party of the screen?

vind_r
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default Mi-500 benchmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidiser View Post
Hello Vind_r,
Welcome to xda (I noticed it was your first post) and also to this thread.
Have you had any prior experience with any Android smartphone? Do you know rooting and stuff? If yes, then please check out if the processor given in the original post works for the mi 500 or not.
If no, you might want to check out the ]

Coming to the benchmark thing, can you post a screenshot/snap of the benchmark screen showing the results. Also try out the quadrant benchmark score and post it here so that we can compare it with some other devices. You're the only one here (at present) who is having the device, that's why I am asking you to do so much stuff :P
I have experience rooting a lot of android devices - I have had android phones and tablets and have rooted/unlocked/hacked/installed custom rom/etc on them all!!. But I am not going to root/hack/customise my mi-500 for the next month - want to check out how all the hardware/software parts work before I start tweaking it. In a month of so, I will definitely start customising my mi-500 and I will certainly report back on this forum.

Coming to the benchmark, I have attached the Antutu benchmark scores - scores quite well (especially when one considers the price). But, am not a big believer in benchmarks - like real-life testing using real-world apps. The processor seems quite capable - In 1 day of mild usage, my Mi-500 has been very smooth, very fluid - does not hang/stutter or slow down in anything mild. I have browsed extensively using the stock browser, played a couple of casual games, recieved/sent emails, opened pdfs/ppts/doc/xls etc using kingsoft - basically used it non-gaming, work purposes - processor has handled it well. Will start throwing more intensive things at it over the weekend and will report back. Have not tested the GPU extensively - another thing I will do this weekend
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-10-11-14-29-10.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1392976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-10-11-14-29-26.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1392977  

vind_r
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidiser View Post
Try alternative camera apps from the play store. Search for "camera"to get few relevant apps.

Try this compass application:

If it works fine, your device has a magnetic sensor. Android phones most probably have a magnetic sensor.
Have used multiple camera apps - all end up looking similar - there seems to be some weird OS/firmware level bug that creates horrible pictures. On the veiwfinder screen, things looks balanced - when clicked and opened, everything is over saturated. Definitely needs a software update/camera firmware update to correct this

My mi-500 does not have a magnetic sensor (or it has been deactivated at the OS level). No software recognises/identifies any sort of magnetic sensor and no compass or map app shows this either. Have used multiple android system informers/elixer/compass type apps - all report that there is no magnetic sensor.

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Have used multiple camera apps - all end up looking similar - there seems to be some weird OS/firmware level bug that creates horrible pictures. On the veiwfinder screen, things looks balanced - when clicked and opened, everything is over saturated. Definitely needs a software update/camera firmware update to correct this

My mi-500 does not have a magnetic sensor (or it has been deactivated at the OS level). No software recognises/identifies any sort of magnetic sensor and no compass or map app shows this either. Have used multiple android system informers/elixer/compass type apps - all report that there is no magnetic sensor.

Does anyone else with a Mi-500 also have the same camera problems? And does any other Mi-500 have a compass/magnetic sensor in it?? Could I have received a dud Mi-500 with these two problems?

Tags
cwm, rom, rooting, spice mi 500, spice mi-500