[HOW-TO] Downgrade from JB to ICS with locked bootloader

7th October 2012, 03:41 PM   |  #1  
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 464

270 posts
Hi.
I upgraded to JB without being rooted, now want root but i'm not ready to unlock bootloader yet. After reading the guide here and seen it requires unlocked bootloader i tried another approach.

WARNING: As always there is a chance something may go wrong... If you do it i'm not responsible for bricks, do it on your own risk.
WARNING: This will wipe your data
WARNING: As with all updated make sure your battery is charged

This is what i did:
1. download .30 firmware from asus site that matches your SKU
2. extract the zip file to the root of your microSD card
3. rename extracted file (ex: US_epad-user-9.4.5.30.zip as mine is US SKU) to EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip
4. insert sdcard and power off tablet
5. press power+voldown, release them after it starts and press volup within 5 seconds to enter stock recovery
6. working android displayed .................. wait patiently to finish update...........

I think this method is peaty safe as is a normal update, no fastboot, root or unlocked bootloader.
I sincerely thought asus recovery will skip the update because is a lower version then the one installed but it did not.
Last edited by cedesmith; 7th October 2012 at 03:45 PM.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to cedesmith For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th October 2012, 04:19 PM   |  #2  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 8

83 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedesmith

Hi.
I upgraded to JB without being rooted, now want root but i'm not ready to unlock bootloader yet. After reading the guide here and seen it requires unlocked bootloader i tried another approach.

WARNING: As always there is a chance something may go wrong... If you do it i'm not responsible for bricks, do it on your own risk.

This is what i did:
3. rename extracted file (ex: US_epad-user-9.4.5.30.zip as mine is US SKU) to EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip
5. press power+voldown, release them after it starts and press volup within 5 seconds to enter stock recovery
6. working android displayed .................. wait patiently to finish update...........

I think this method is peaty safe as is a normal update, no fastboot, root or unlocked bootloader.
I sincerely thought asus recovery will skip the update because is a lower version then the one installed but it did not.

Thanks, I might just try this.. the DPI really bugs me on JB!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bckldwn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th October 2012, 02:29 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 24

245 posts
Quote:

Hi.

This is what i did:

Thanks bro - that worked perfect.
8th October 2012, 02:40 AM   |  #4  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 229

981 posts
More
This was already posted elsewhere b/c it is how I rooted my JB 4 days ago. I think it was Praetorian or jrotsky who posted it.

I tried the same method with trying to revert 9.4.5.30 to 9.4.5.26 but that is a no go - only 10.4.4.16 will revert to 9.4.5.30
8th October 2012, 10:05 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,604

1,316 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlgalt

This was already posted elsewhere b/c it is how I rooted my JB 4 days ago. I think it was Praetorian or jrotsky who posted it.

I tried the same method with trying to revert 9.4.5.30 to 9.4.5.26 but that is a no go - only 10.4.4.16 will revert to 9.4.5.30

Yeah,OP did a nice found..hehehe --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1833212
8th October 2012, 01:06 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 2

68 posts
More
Quote:

Hi.

This is what i did:

Thanks for you guide, I am waiting for my TF700T, but read a lot about rooting process without unlocking bootloader, so please tell me:
What about root after your guide ?? Just use rooting instruction from here and use OTA rootKeeper and should work ??

Regards
Doncieslacco
8th October 2012, 03:49 PM   |  #7  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 229

981 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by doncieslacco

Thanks for you guide, I am waiting for my TF700T, but read a lot about rooting process without unlocking bootloader, so please tell me:
What about root after your guide ?? Just use rooting instruction from here and use OTA rootKeeper and should work ??

Regards
Doncieslacco

JB cannot currently be rooted, so you'll need to root 9.4.5.30 first, then use OTA rootkeeper to make a backup of root and enable OTA survival (I also enabled OTA survival in superuser), then apply the JB update, and finally use OTA rootkeeper to restore root.

Also, I would highly advise not installing any apps on it in ICS, b/c a lot of people are experiencing idiosyncrasies in JB that are fixed if you perform a factory reset - since your tablet will be brand new, a factory reset will be a lot less painful with no apps installed.

If you are about to receive your tablet, and it is on 9.4.5.26 or lower, I'd seriously consider first using nvFlash to make a pure backup of the entire before updating to 9.4.5.30, b/c nvFlash does not work on 9.4.5.30 nor 10.4.4.16.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700 running Android JB (rooted) via Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnlgalt For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th October 2012, 05:09 PM   |  #8  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 8

83 posts
More
Thank you OP, this worked great; back to 160 DPI!
8th October 2012, 07:46 PM   |  #9  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,442

3,449 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlgalt

If you are about to receive your tablet, and it is on 9.4.5.26 or lower, I'd seriously consider first using nvFlash to make a pure backup of the entire before updating to 9.4.5.30, b/c nvFlash does not work on 9.4.5.30 nor 10.4.4.16.

However that requires unlocking first,voiding your warranty.
The Following User Says Thank You to _that For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th October 2012, 09:15 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 6

34 posts
Thanks OP, this worked. At first I lost the long-press function, where for example an app on the home screen is long-pressed then moved to the top to remove. The apps would always open, regardless of whether I just touched them or long-pressed them. A factory reset in recovery fixed it, in case anyone else experiences this.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread