Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,956 Members 43,368 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to update to JB and keep root (Locked Bootloader)

Tip us?

pileot
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 185

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn010 View Post
This method never worked for me, even when it was originally posted. I keep getting the dead android bot red triangle.
It may be that I'm moving the files from win 7 NTFS to fat 32 and that is somehow modifing them???

Also is there a way on android to check/modify write permission? I just modify write permissions of the files by right clicking them and modifying them from the security tab in windows.
I'll have to examine this in further detail this week.

I'm a bit hesitant to jump to JB because of rooting and DPI setting problems. Until thats ironed out I'll stick with ICS.
Windows security and linux permissions are two VERY different things.
Use something like root explorer to modify the permissions of the files once they are on the tablet. Once you transfer the files to your SD card or even via USB to the tablet the permissions get changed to RW-RW-RW or similar. As far as i know you can not do this in windows.
If what I said was remotely helpful the thanks button is right there, only takes a second.

pileot
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 185

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn010 View Post
I used a USB cable 2.0 to transfer the files directly to tablet. Also, the cache folder is created on the root level of the tablet right, because originally I never had a cache folder on the tablet at the root level. thanks and cheers.
Use an application like root explorer. Regular file explorers can not usually see the root directory of the tablet. If you are just using the stock file browser it will not work.
If what I said was remotely helpful the thanks button is right there, only takes a second.

-lukin-
Old
(Last edited by -lukin-; 10th October 2012 at 02:21 AM.)
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pileot View Post
First: Make sure you have all stock apps restored, no custom build.prop, etc.
If your not sure, wipe the tablet and reinstall. Better safe than sorry.
Thanks for the OP. I am having trouble getting the JB OTA.

I am running rooted and locked at .30 with some minor tweaks using Titanium backup. Those tweaks are removing ASUS and Google bloat app. In order to get JB OTA, do I have to reinstall the bloat apps or reflash .30? Does all the stupid bloat have to be there for OTA to occur? If so, I hate that.

quartercirclebak
Old
(Last edited by quartercirclebak; 10th October 2012 at 02:33 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by john85D View Post
Did it twice but was unsuccesful. When the whole process completed I was back on .30 and couldn't restore root. Any suggestions?
I've got the same...kind of pissed. Am I just SOL without root now?

Edit: Nevermind...just ran through the whole root process again and got it back.

john85D
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by quartercirclebak View Post
I've got the same...kind of pissed. Am I just SOL without root now?

Edit: Nevermind...just ran through the whole root process again and got it back.
What did you use to gain root again? As far as I know, rebuffs does not work with JB. Or are you unlocked?

pladoog
Old
Thanks Meter 4
everytime i do, i get back to .30 and when i check /cache

dlpkgfile still there with rw-r-r
but command in /cache/recovery/ disappear

what i mistaken?

HeartWare42
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by -lukin- View Post
Does all the stupid bloat have to be there for OTA to occur?
Yes. Since the OTA is a "difference file patcher", the original files need to be where they are expected to be, otherwise the instructions as to which areas of which files should be patched with which values will be invalid. There is no way a difference file patcher can operate if the files are missing or modified - it's in the nature of the beast.

That's why the only option for people who have modified their /system partition is to reflash the entire /system partition (ie. a full update, not one that relies on what is already there).

The reason for using a difference file patcher is that the update will be much smaller if it only contains the differences from the existing setup instead of a completely new file. The downside is that the existing contents needs to be present and unmodified.
Keld "HeartWare" Hansen, Copenhagen, Denmark

-lukin-
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartWare42 View Post
Yes. Since the OTA is a "difference file patcher", the original files need to be where they are expected to be, otherwise the instructions as to which areas of which files should be patched with which values will be invalid. There is no way a difference file patcher can operate if the files are missing or modified - it's in the nature of the beast.

That's why the only option for people who have modified their /system partition is to reflash the entire /system partition (ie. a full update, not one that relies on what is already there).

The reason for using a difference file patcher is that the update will be much smaller if it only contains the differences from the existing setup instead of a completely new file. The downside is that the existing contents needs to be present and unmodified.
Makes sense, thanks for the the concise explanation.

redheadplantguy
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Thank you so very much. kept trying to root jelly bean before, and ended up bricking tab somehow. thankfully best buy exchanged under factory defect cause after bricking, it got super HOT. I'll donate some adult beverage money when i get paid.
thank you again.
Apple. For those who just can't be bothered with thinking for themselves.

StiiLe
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Hello !

First of all, thank you for your post.

I have a question "Yes or No". I translated your method (thank you again) in french for the french users, and I told them that they could unlock the bootloader once the firmware is back to ICS (.30). I am not sure about it, I would like you to confirm this ?
Then the method would be :
Downgrade to ICS (v9.4.5.30 WW)
Root with RootDebugfs.bat
Unlock Bootloader
Temp unroot with OTARootKeeper
Upgrade to JB (v10.4.4.16 WW) with OTA
Restore root with OTARootKeeper