How to update to JB and keep root (Locked Bootloader)

OP pileot

15th October 2012, 01:45 AM   |  #21  
Thanks Meter: 26

223 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pileot

To reset the tablet:
Determine which version you are running. For me it was .30WW
Go to www.asus.com and download the firmware for your version
plug your tablet into your usb on your computer, unzip the firmware and put it in the root of your tablet (Dont use USB or SD cards, just transfer it directly)
restart your tablet, it SHOULD load the file and go about resetting the tablet to stock.
If that does not work, try starting the tablet holding power and volume down, on the splash screen press volume up and reset the tablet that way.
Once your tablet is returned to stock you can proceed.

A couple of problems:

1) A contradiction (seemingly) that you say "plug your tablet into your usb on your computer" then "Dont use USB or SD cards"
That needs some clarification - if you plug into usb then you are using USB.

2) The above method doesn't work for me. By copying the file to the root of the tablet's sdcard I see two problems, a) Andy falls over - the error is that it can't find EP201_768_SDUPDATE.ZIP so by dropping the original filename this won't work without renaming. b) even if you rename it, it still complains because it's looking for it on the external sd card.

Unless I'm missing something I couldn't get your method to work. Also once I did rename it and put it on the external card, I still end up with a desktop full of my app shortcuts and data intact which implies either that this method doesn't clear data or it hasn't worked.

Would appreciate some clarification, I'm fully prepared to accept I've done something stupid but so far I've not been successful following the above.
15th October 2012, 11:45 PM   |  #22  
Thanks Meter: 12

24 posts
@louiscar
1) A contradiction (seemingly) that you say "plug your tablet into your usb on your computer" then "Dont use USB or SD cards"

Plug your tablet into your USB on your computer and put it in the root of your tablet, don't put it into USB cards or SD cards.

Downgrade from .30 to .26 with a locked bootloader ?

I am going to downgrade from JB .16 to ICS .30 in order to root my device, but I also would like to unlock bootloader so I would need to downgrade again to .26. I read sometimes "signature mismatch" then it's not possible, but I also read "I did it, it does work". What's the truth ?
The Following User Says Thank You to StiiLe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th October 2012, 01:39 AM   |  #23  
Thanks Meter: 1,591

5,358 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StiiLe

@louiscar

Plug your tablet into your USB on your computer and put it in the root of your tablet, don't put it into USB cards or SD cards.

Downgrade from .30 to .26 with a locked bootloader ?

I am going to downgrade from JB .16 to ICS .30 in order to root my device, but I also would like to unlock bootloader so I would need to downgrade again to .26. I read sometimes "signature mismatch" then it's not possible, but I also read "I did it, it does work". What's the truth ?

I think you're confusing.
1. You can downgrade from JB to .30 and you can root once you're on .30.
2. You can root your device while you're on JB, but you need to Unlock your device first (unlock tool for ICS will work with JB)
3. Bootloader signature for .30 and JB are the same, but not same as .22 or .26, so you can't downgrade from JB or .30 to .26/.22, However, if you have a backup of NVflash, you could downgrade from .30/JB to .26
Hope it's clear for you.
16th October 2012, 08:52 AM   |  #24  

24 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhohitr

I think you're confusing.
1. You can downgrade from JB to .30 and you can root once you're on .30.
2. You can root your device while you're on JB, but you need to Unlock your device first (unlock tool for ICS will work with JB)
3. Bootloader signature for .30 and JB are the same, but not same as .22 or .26, so you can't downgrade from JB or .30 to .26/.22, However, if you have a backup of NVflash, you could downgrade from .30/JB to .26
Hope it's clear for you.

Yes, I understand the 1st and 2nd answer. The 3rd I was not sure about it. Thank you.
Now, I know that I can't unlock my TF700 anymore because I'm on JB... I just can root it with the downgrade to .30. I should have tried NVflash !!
16th October 2012, 06:35 PM   |  #25  

5,358 posts
Quote:

Yes, I understand the 1st and 2nd answer. The 3rd I was not sure about it. Thank you.
Now, I know that I can't unlock my TF700 anymore because I'm on JB... I just can root it with the downgrade to .30. I should have tried NVflash !!

Nope, you are incorrect, you still can UNLOCK your device with JB. The unlock tool for ICS will work with JB.
The Following User Says Thank You to buhohitr For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th October 2012, 07:07 PM   |  #26  

24 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhohitr

Nope, you are incorrect, you still can UNLOCK your device with JB. The unlock tool for ICS will work with JB.

Ohhhhhh seriously ! ROM Custom is finally mine ?!
Thank you, I thought that the unlock tool was only for ICS .26 or less.
16th October 2012, 07:10 PM   |  #27  

5,358 posts
Quote:

Cheers bro!!!!!
16th October 2012, 08:10 PM   |  #28  
Thanks Meter: 26

223 posts
Quote:

I think on Asus site is states the unlocker is for ICS only. However, with the experience of people here who've probably tried it I'm sure that buhohitr is correct.
17th October 2012, 01:35 AM   |  #29  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 31

106 posts
More
Thumbs up
Followed all the steps (very clear write-up, btw), and it didn't work. I copied the files from my PC to the tablet, and got the red exclamation. Then, I downloaded the files using the tablet, moved the files and changed permissions. Temp-unrooted, booted into the recovery and it took off. I am now rooted on JB. Nice!
The Following User Says Thank You to atgmartin For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th October 2012, 01:43 AM   |  #30  
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Thank you to the OP for preserving my sanity.
I was one of those that lost root with the JB OTA and was using the upgrade firmware from the Asus website ( V10.4.4.16 Only for US SKU (Android 4.1.1)) to update after downgrading back to 30 and rooting. As others have attested, it was to say the least, an aggravating experience (many times over). Stumbled upon this thread and in a matter of minutes, was enjoying the fruits of rooted JB.
I think the "All in one guide" is missing something. This 0ne.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread