5,597,707 Members 34,300 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Recent iPhone users who migrated to the GS3 - Favorite Features?

Tip us?
 
Sianspheric
Old
(Last edited by Sianspheric; 8th October 2012 at 04:00 PM.)
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 117
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default Recent iPhone users who migrated to the GS3 - Favorite Features?

Hi guys.

So it seems like a number of people here have recently migrated over from iPhone, just curious what are your all favorite features/apps since you switched over.

I used an iPhone 3 from 2008-2010 and then an iPhone 4 from 2008-Sept 2012. I was jailbroken on those devices but still pretty blown away by many Android functions. I loved loved loved my iPhone when I first got one, back in the day they were so damned ahead of the curve, but over time HTC/Samsung has caught up and they are no longer making truly impressive devices worthy of me overpaying for them, and to have the Nanny state of Apple telling me what apps I am capable of using. Those are the main reasons I made the switch. Although I still kind of miss the smaller size of my iPhone.

ANYWAYYYYS....things I love since I made the switch:

1. TORRENTS! You could never ever get a Torrent application from the Apple App Store. I use "adownloaded" via the Google Play Store. I love mainly the ability to switch between various torrent trackers and even grab torrents from some of the private torrent sites I use (ones for music / video). If I feel like listening to some old album I don't have on my PC at home, simple just grab the torrent. Forgot to DL the new Boardwalk Empire, just grab it off a tracker via Adownloader.

2. Power management options. Having an app to turn off power hog features (wifi, mobile data, gps, etc) when the screen is turned off and then booting them all back up quickly when I turn the screen back on. I use "Go Power Master" for this and love it. You don't need to be rooted to do it either.

3. Themes / visual customization. Animated backgrounds, etc. Some of those things were available to jailbroken (and JB saavy) iPhone users but it was extreeemly buggy and problematic when I tried to mess with visual display customization with my jailbroken iPhones. Here its entirely simple to do for non-root and root users.

4. Battery replacement / external memory. Bought 2 extra batteries and an external battery charger off ebay for only $20 all included. Yes maybe that's a testament to the...not so amazing battery life of the GS3, but I still love the option of having extra 100% charged batteries at home and in the office in case I forget to charge my GS3. Down to 10% and no time to charge? Pull off the ottebox and throw another battery in. Also love the external memory, bought a 32GB micro SD as soon as I got my GS3. Blows my mind that Apple charges $100 extra to go from 16gb to 32gb and to 64gb (when it's been proven online it only costs them $10 to raise the memory....a 90% margin customers have to pay....retarded. A lot of my iPhone devotee friends would just tell me to get the 16gb and keep all my extra music/movies "in the cloud". Fuuuuuuck that. Why blow my wireless data plan constantly DLing albums from my Cloud account rather than just having a phone with a decent amount of memory.

5. Video playback. GS3 has flawlessly played everything I've thrown at it, without any conversion. AVI's / XVID / X264 / MKV / VOB, MP4, alll of it. It's a far far cry from trying to get any bloody files to play on the iPhone, iTunes was so prickly with formats that even many .MP4's I downloaded wouldnt sync properly with iPhone. It was a major pain in the ass to throw videos on the iPhone because so many would require conversion. Even the third party apps in the app store that could play SOME AVI/XVID would get buggy and be unable to play back 50% of anything I threw at it.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sianspheric For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
norbarb
Old
#2  
norbarb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 699
Posts: 1,329
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Crest Hill

 
DONATE TO ME
Don't forget you can play flash movies on net

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
 
jazzespresso
Old
#3  
jazzespresso's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 191
Posts: 723
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sianspheric View Post
Hi guys.

So it seems like a number of people here have recently migrated over from iPhone, just curious what are your all favorite features/apps since you switched over.

I used an iPhone 3 from 2008-2010 and then an iPhone 4 from 2008-Sept 2012. I was jailbroken on those devices but still pretty blown away by many Android functions. I loved loved loved my iPhone when I first got one, back in the day they were so damned ahead of the curve, but over time HTC/Samsung has caught up and they are no longer making truly impressive devices worthy of me overpaying for them, and to have the Nanny state of Apple telling me what apps I am capable of using. Those are the main reasons I made the switch. Although I still kind of miss the smaller size of my iPhone.

ANYWAYYYYS....things I love since I made the switch:

1. TORRENTS! You could never ever get a Torrent application from the Apple App Store. I use "adownloaded" via the Google Play Store. I love mainly the ability to switch between various torrent trackers and even grab torrents from some of the private torrent sites I use (ones for music / video). If I feel like listening to some old album I don't have on my PC at home, simple just grab the torrent. Forgot to DL the new Boardwalk Empire, just grab it off a tracker via Adownloader.

2. Power management options. Having an app to turn off power hog features (wifi, mobile data, gps, etc) when the screen is turned off and then booting them all back up quickly when I turn the screen back on. I use "Go Power Master" for this and love it. You don't need to be rooted to do it either.

3. Themes / visual customization. Animated backgrounds, etc. Some of those things were available to jailbroken (and JB saavy) iPhone users but it was extreeemly buggy and problematic when I tried to mess with visual display customization with my jailbroken iPhones. Here its entirely simple to do for non-root and root users.

4. Battery replacement / external memory. Bought 2 extra batteries and an external battery charger off ebay for only $20 all included. Yes maybe that's a testament to the...not so amazing battery life of the GS3, but I still love the option of having extra 100% charged batteries at home and in the office in case I forget to charge my GS3. Down to 10% and no time to charge? Pull off the ottebox and throw another battery in. Also love the external memory, bought a 32GB micro SD as soon as I got my GS3. Blows my mind that Apple charges $100 extra to go from 16gb to 32gb and to 64gb (when it's been proven online it only costs them $10 to raise the memory....a 90% margin customers have to pay....retarded. A lot of my iPhone devotee friends would just tell me to get the 16gb and keep all my extra music/movies "in the cloud". Fuuuuuuck that. Why blow my wireless data plan constantly DLing albums from my Cloud account rather than just having a phone with a decent amount of memory.

5. Video playback. GS3 has flawlessly played everything I've thrown at it, without any conversion. AVI's / XVID / X264 / MKV / VOB, MP4, alll of it. It's a far far cry from trying to get any bloody files to play on the iPhone, iTunes was so prickly with formats that even many .MP4's I downloaded wouldnt sync properly with iPhone. It was a major pain in the ass to throw videos on the iPhone because so many would require conversion. Even the third party apps in the app store that could play SOME AVI/XVID would get buggy and be unable to play back 50% of anything I threw at it.
I am like you; long time iPhone user. then my wife upgrade her old iPhone to Galaxy S3 (for free), but she did not like it too much, so I offered my iPhone 4S switch , I still love my iPhone, but I don't know I wanted something different, and I am glad that I did switch with my wife. What I really like about Andorid phones is abilitity to do everything you wish, not like closed guarded iPhone OS thingy to deal here. S3 is a bit laggy because of TouchWiz, but once JB hits, I am sure this Galaxy S3 will be flying....
================================================== =
  • Nexus 7 WiFi (1st gen) - Pure Stock ROM 4.4.2
  • Galaxy Note 3 - AT&T, Stock ROM 4.4.2
  • Galaxy Tab 2 7 - GT-P3113 - 4.4.2 - Official SlimKat ROM
  • Galaxy Note 8.0 - GT-N5110 - CivZ-FLEX-BEAM-REV3.6 ROM
================================================== =
The Following User Says Thank You to jazzespresso For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
dawheat
Old
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 21
Posts: 94
Join Date: Sep 2012
Just switched a couple weeks ago (iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4S) to the S3 - rooted and loaded a lightweight ROM.

Love it so far and very happy with the switch:
- took a while to find a browser app I like that 'feels' like Safari. I use Boat browser since I like a bookmarks link to be in the bottom toolbar (instead of clicking a button, then bookmarks like Chrome).
- Love the external SD card (64GB) + ability to play pretty much any video format I have using MX Player Pro. Instead of tediously converting to MP4s, I just load my original files and they look great in HD. Space is no concern either now.
- Love the custom launchers to customize the home screens exactly the way I want (using Nova Prime)
- Like the use of widgets
- Able to re-use my iTunes playlists and organization using iSyncr. Nice I can use one program to manage all my ipods and phone.
- Speed of everything (apps, etc) is great
- Love the much larger real estate - can no longer use my wife's iPhone 5 comfortably

Negs:
- battery life is noticeably inferior to the iPhone 4s and 5. Yes it has a larger battery and I have most power features on, but over 50% of my draw is from the screen. Totally makes sense, but I have to be more aware of where the battery is in the afternoon and re-charge it to avoid running out at night.
- Related to the above, but to avoid my battery dying to quickly, I can't put brightness as high as I'd ideally like. It's fine but not my first choice.
- Also related, auto-brightness doesn't work as well as I'd like
- basic tasks sometimes take extra clicks compared to the iPhone. Making a call and such feel like I'm making a couple extra clicks all the time compared to the simplicity of the iPhone.
- Hard closing apps is annoying vs. the iPhone. I know you don't "have" to, but I like doing it (OCC) and the Android method annoys me

Overall I'm very glad I switched and will likely remain an Android guy for a while.
The Following User Says Thank You to dawheat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jasvncnt1
Old
#5  
jasvncnt1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 610
Posts: 2,067
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Union NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawheat View Post
- basic tasks sometimes take extra clicks compared to the iPhone. Making a call and such feel like I'm making a couple extra clicks all the time compared to the simplicity of the iPhone.
Not sure if this will help..but you can put short cuts on your screen for direct contacts. I have a few set for the people I call most frequently.
 
Sianspheric
Old
#6  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 117
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawheat View Post
Just switched a couple weeks ago (iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4S) to the S3 - rooted and loaded a lightweight ROM.

Love it so far and very happy with the switch:
- took a while to find a browser app I like that 'feels' like Safari. I use Boat browser since I like a bookmarks link to be in the bottom toolbar (instead of clicking a button, then bookmarks like Chrome).
- Love the external SD card (64GB) + ability to play pretty much any video format I have using MX Player Pro. Instead of tediously converting to MP4s, I just load my original files and they look great in HD. Space is no concern either now.
- Love the custom launchers to customize the home screens exactly the way I want (using Nova Prime)
- Like the use of widgets
- Able to re-use my iTunes playlists and organization using iSyncr. Nice I can use one program to manage all my ipods and phone.
- Speed of everything (apps, etc) is great
- Love the much larger real estate - can no longer use my wife's iPhone 5 comfortably

Negs:
- battery life is noticeably inferior to the iPhone 4s and 5. Yes it has a larger battery and I have most power features on, but over 50% of my draw is from the screen. Totally makes sense, but I have to be more aware of where the battery is in the afternoon and re-charge it to avoid running out at night.
- Related to the above, but to avoid my battery dying to quickly, I can't put brightness as high as I'd ideally like. It's fine but not my first choice.
- Also related, auto-brightness doesn't work as well as I'd like
- basic tasks sometimes take extra clicks compared to the iPhone. Making a call and such feel like I'm making a couple extra clicks all the time compared to the simplicity of the iPhone.
- Hard closing apps is annoying vs. the iPhone. I know you don't "have" to, but I like doing it (OCC) and the Android method annoys me

Overall I'm very glad I switched and will likely remain an Android guy for a while.
Agree with most those points.

I'm going to try out the Boat browser, thanks for mentioning that, I also do miss the quick bookmark tabs on the bottom like I had in Safari. I think the bottom loading bookmarks is better since you dont have to do two handled tapping to get to them, the little things that make you miss the smaller size of iPhone is having to reach for top loading bookmarks.

ps. highly recommend you check out "Go Power Master" for the battery issues like you mentioned. As I mentioned in my first post, If you set the settings up properly you can get more battery life out of the GS3 by having it set to shut down certain battery hog features when youd don't need em.
 
Vanillamarble
Old
#7  
Vanillamarble's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 39
Join Date: Oct 2012
Switched from a 3GS,and I love my new GS3. My Galaxy certainly feels a lot faster (I completely turned animations off in Nova and developer options, my phone is a monster now), I love the customization, and I like how it's open source.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
 
Ivizoid
Old
#8  
Ivizoid's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 126
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Orange County
I actually returned my iPhone 5 for the S3. Mainly for the iOS still being the same as always. Nothing new, on this I could just flash roms for days.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
Nexus 5 - T-Mobile
AOSPA 4.0 Beta
Galaxy Note 3 - T-Mobile
Stock 4.3
HTC One - AT&T
Stock Rooted Sense 4.3
The Following User Says Thank You to Ivizoid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
foboi1122
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 32
Posts: 99
Join Date: Dec 2011
I went from a iphone 4s to a SG3 and here's what I think

Pros:
The phone mainly allows me to express my inner nerd much better.
-Networking apps: Network scanner , nmap, wifi analyzer, mac changer, SSH, free hotspot (most of these are after root though)
-Video Playback: they don't have to be apple's nazi formats
-Customization: I love skinning my phone
-Tasker: just hands down awesome
-Google Navigation is also great

Cons:
-Iphone apps crash/freeze less
-Iphone uses less clicks to get to what I need. Example: if I want to call a number I found from yelp, I need to hit the phone number, then I need to press call on the phone app where as Iphone calls directly by pressing a number on yelp.
-Battery life is not as good on the SG3, like many have noticed.
-Texting is not as nice on the SG3: iMessage was great for group texts, esp when all my friends have iphones. Also I dislike that the two text apps I've tried both cover up my conversation when I turn my phone to landscape mode. It only shows my text typing box and they keyboard. I really liked that the ios message app shows a bit of your conversation however you type. Doe anyone know how to do this on the SG3?
-My iphone was compatible with my car's digital display, but the SG3 is not.
The Following User Says Thank You to foboi1122 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
slicetwo
Old
#10  
slicetwo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 41
Posts: 380
Join Date: Sep 2012

 
DONATE TO ME
Widgets. I love my new widgets. Why the iphone has no widgets is beyond me. Also, setting in the pull down notifications? Bloody awesome.
Slice Two
www.radioactivesandwich.com - Free psychedelic electronic music to fill your belly.
Galaxy S3 (CM10.2)
HP Touchpad (milaq cm10.1)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes