Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,687 Members 41,297 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Recent iPhone users who migrated to the GS3 - Favorite Features?

Tip us?

rob_rector
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Not having to stand in line all day to get one ... seriously though, I personally like the screen size. Is that even a feature?

snekiam
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Screened size, haptic feedback, removable battery, upgradeable storage uses usb instead of 30 pin or lightening, rootable from the day I got it (thanks XDA!) as oppose to weeks or months for a jailbreak.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

Sianspheric
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
you guys got most the pros and cons pretty much right.

I think having had an iPhone for many years and now having a top-quality Android device, you really get to see that there are many pretty advantages to each device. I dont think the Apple fanboys or the "Fandroids" have a perfect case to make for each device. With the GS3 I sacrifice a few things that I loved about iPhone but the things and possibilities I get in return with Android / GS3 kind of blow me away.

but I'm learning there are some shortcuts to some of the "too many clicks" issues:

if you go into Contact and want to call someone quickly, the common gripe is you select a name and instead of it launching a call to that name, you go into the contact details. there are Swipe Left and Swipe Right features in Contacts. Look up a contact and Swipe Right and it should launch straight into a call, Swipe Left and it will start a text to that name.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sianspheric For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

theraffman
Old
(Last edited by theraffman; 9th October 2012 at 07:12 AM.)
Thanks Meter 139
Battery life depends greatly on the Rom you are running, I get probably 25% better life on black jelly jb than on stock. I average 16hrs up time, 3 hrs screen, 2 hrs talk and a number of other running apps with 10-20% life remaining... depends on signal strength and Wi-Fi connection of course, but that's about my average experience. No fancy mods or anything, just rooted custom debloated Rom.

Ran iPhones from the 2 until the 4, the only thing I miss is pulling out an iPhone at a table with friends and everyone having the exact same phone and feeling cool lol. Seriously though, I have gotten the same stability with android that I had with a jailbroken iPhone, better battery life ( was never able to get past 4pm with any iPhone) swap batteries if I need to, micro sd, features years before Apple, features, shortcuts, widgets... the list goes on... for me, android and the sgs3 all the way, and these phones are just going to get better and better, it seems to me that Apple has hit their innovative wall, where as android/Google is just getting started. I can't believe the things that Google and Samsung is working on ie Google glass and the unbreakable/flexible screens and the 100% transparent screens... things that get me pretty excited for the future of these devices.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda premium

mindracer
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawheat View Post
- basic tasks sometimes take extra clicks compared to the iPhone. Making a call and such feel like I'm making a couple extra clicks all the time compared to the simplicity of the iPhone.
Really, I either have a direct contact on my screen or in the phone book in a second, and I also activated the GS III feature/gesture/motion of when you have a contact open and put the phone to your ear, it calls them automatically! I can call someone 5x faster than someone one iphone going through their contacts :P

demandarin
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sianspheric View Post
you guys got most the pros and cons pretty much right.

I think having had an iPhone for many years and now having a top-quality Android device, you really get to see that there are many pretty advantages to each device. I dont think the Apple fanboys or the "Fandroids" have a perfect case to make for each device. With the GS3 I sacrifice a few things that I loved about iPhone but the things and possibilities I get in return with Android / GS3 kind of blow me away.

but I'm learning there are some shortcuts to some of the "too many clicks" issues:

if you go into Contact and want to call someone quickly, the common gripe is you select a name and instead of it launching a call to that name, you go into the contact details. there are Swipe Left and Swipe Right features in Contacts. Look up a contact and Swipe Right and it should launch straight into a call, Swipe Left and it will start a text to that name.
Thanks..I never knew about that shortcut. Just tried it and works very well. Still learning more. Make sure to get the free sg3 users digest from play stores.

IPAD- 32GB WiFi ver. 4.2.1

Transformer Prime 32GB(Retired)

NEXUS 7 16gb Unlocked & Rooted JB 4.3 CleanRom 4.0 Faux Kernel

Galaxy Note 10.1 32gb- Hyperdrive Rom w/ Zeus kernel AMAZING!

Samsung Galaxy SIII - JB 4.1.2

Lg Optimus G Pro- new 1080P 5.5in. Display w/Snapdragon 600 Andreno 320

Microsoft Surface Pro 128gb. Full HD Display 1080P Windows 8 HD4000 Graphics Type Cover

Prime/Tegra3 Gamers Thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1409077

wiz4769
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I had a 3gs for a couple years and like most I liked it alot, but the battery ended up going funky and I was out of space. There really are only 2 gripes I have about Android over iphone

First is using it in the car, Iphones/Ipods just work better for this, to be able to just plug into my stereo USB and it charge and play music while showing the song info and being able to control from the radio itself is the biggest thing I miss, so much so I just leave my iPod in the car for my music and dont use the S3...sad...The other thing I miss is Apptrackr ...They have every app there is for iPhones, I have never not been able to find the app I want. The Android underground is lacking on that side of things, the options like blapk and all that is pretty ghetto. Torrents are not that much of a help either. But I suppose this is a whole other thread....I pretty much love everything else and Im glad I switched

The pros out weigh the cons for sure and I will not be going back to Iphone ever. I just hope that the whole car integration thing can be improved so I can ditch the ipod...

markysd
Old
Thanks Meter 38
All the custom stuff on Android... I was a jailbreak junky and android out the box has way more custom.. I still have my iphone 4 jail broken.. I want emojis on my keyboard on my gs3 and iOs apps are more polished but pretty much the same on android some are nice some are crappy like wise on iphone just depends on developer.. IOS got stale for me... IOS feels like it's more for basic user /old people lol

MISSBIANKA1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I like the "auto reject" feature, especially when it comes to block calls. I like how I can have a live wallpaper

Alaris
Old
Thanks Meter 16
I use a belkin blue tooth adapter for car audio. The only thing I don't like about the phone is that Google Music won't download to my sd card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

I was gonna wait for the note 2 to be my first Android but it's just to big. The quad core would have been nice though.