[GUIDE][PARANOIDANDROID] A Complete Compendium on ParanoidPreferences [PA-Settings]

Search This thread

gokussjx

Jul 7, 2011
/home/bidyut
WELCOME TO PARANOIDANDROID
Noob's Guide to PA Settings
pax3u3k.png

Integrated somewhere deep within the ParanoidAndroid source, is a Hybrid Engine. The Engine that makes PA stand out of the crowd. The feature of Per-App-Density & Per-App-Layout. (PAD & PAL)

Now, it has expanded beyond, & offers independent customization of even more visual elements, such as Lockscreen, Widgets, StatusBar/NavBar etc.
The Hybrid Engine, is the source that powers it all. But to implement it we need something much more simpler, something that allows High-Level Control.

This is where ParanoidPreferences app comes in. (Abbv: PAPref)
This handy app interacts with the Configuration files, & allows to control any & all elements easily.

This guide for those who might need it. The App in itself is pretty self-explanatory, but to make it easier to understand, I've made a visual guide, explaining each & every part of the app in detail.

Feel free to ask any questions that you might have :)

--------------------Jargons--------------------

You might come across some terms that are commonly used across the app, & all over the threads & blogs.
I'll try to explain them briefly.

DPI: Dots Per Inch. As the name defines, DPI is the number of dots per inch of a screen.
In PA, we can modify DPI of any & every app or service independently (PAD).

Lower DPI value, would cause a general shrinkage, & higher DPI value, would cause the app to get bigger.

In general, we have a few standard DPI values:
xHDPI: 320 DPI | HDPI: 240 DPI | MDPI: 160 DPI | LDPI: 120 DPI

DP: DP, or DIP, is Device Independent Pixel.
On an Android device of 160 DPI screen,
Code:
1dp = 1px (pixel)
Hence, for a 320 DPI screen,
Code:
1dp= 1/2 px
& so on.

DP (or px) can be used to customize the layout of the app used. PAL is where we make changes in px of any app or service, & change its layout to Phone/Phablet/Tablet or any custom layout (wherever applicable).

We use some standard px values as: 360px: Phone Mode | 600px: Phablet Mode | 720px: Tablet Mode

NOTE: The examples used below & in all subsequent posts is of a screen with standard 320 DPI (xHDPI). Some values might differ for other standard DPI screens, but the theory remains same.

To access the ParanoidAndroid Settings, Navigate to Settings -> ParanoidSettings

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

intointerface.png

--Move on to Post 2--

Last edited:

alkspo

Apr 28, 2012
Scandinavia
great guide :)

i was wondering if its possible to have a paranoid gb? my device already has ics and jb, but not gingerbread, which is the most stable, so im not sure if its possible

rashidshahzad

Dec 12, 2010
Lahore
i changed Paranoid settings for some apps Layout to 360Px and Phone Mod successfully but after rebooting device except Home Screen every other app and settings menu screen dimensions out from top and bottom :s after which i changed those settings again but unable to change DPI from 0 to anyother value then reboot but no effect :p so kindly guide me how to resolve this issue.

HTC DESIRE

molesarecoming

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 12, 2012
Berlin
i changed Paranoid settings for some apps Layout to 360Px and Phone Mod successfully but after rebooting device except Home Screen every other app and settings menu screen dimensions out from top and bottom :s after which i changed those settings again but unable to change DPI from 0 to anyother value then reboot but no effect :p so kindly guide me how to resolve this issue.

HTC DESIRE

always compile paranoidandroid with . rom-build.sh devicename, or tell your dev to do that. make/lunch/brunch will not result in a functional rom. when youre done, try not to change your build.prop, the script does all that for you.
another thing is, hybrid engine needs a healthy system DPI. if you go and change ro.blabla.density it will simply shut down and refuse to work. this ones actually strange because i have seen many people so hung up on build.prop dpi they just cant stop themselves - hybrid engine can do all that regular tablet mode could in the past, even dropping all your apps into tabUI at once if you so desire - it does that without harming your system though (read, not changing the system dpi).
if its stillnot working then it can be fingerprint and signing issues. in that case only a fullwipe helps. when the rom is built clean from the beginning though all will work right out of the box, issues like that are born from wrong compiling.

Last edited:

ashkala

Aug 18, 2012
Delhi
Default size Default UI

Hi,

I am new to Paranoid Android but that hasn't stopped me from recognizing the innumerable possibilities it offers. I have a galaxy nexus International version and I was experimenting with almost everything, As you said, the Hybrid Engine needs a healthy UI rather than just any random number. Hence my launcher went into a crashloop upon changing orientation.

• Another thing I would like to know is the basic difference between the System App Default Size and Default UI.
  • Also what are the safe values for the Galaxy Nexus.
  • What if I want to reset everything back to normal? I tried doing that through the given option but certain values remain overridden. Will I have to perform a full wipe?

rashidshahzad

Dec 12, 2010
Lahore
always compile paranoidandroid with . rom-build.sh devicename, or tell your dev to do that. make/lunch/brunch will not result in a functional rom. when youre done, try not to change your build.prop, the script does all that for you.
another thing is, hybrid engine needs a healthy system DPI. if you go and change ro.blabla.density it will simply shut down and refuse to work. this ones actually strange because i have seen many people so hung up on build.prop dpi they just cant stop themselves - hybrid engine can do all that regular tablet mode could in the past, even dropping all your apps into tabUI at once if you so desire - it does that without harming your system though (read, not changing the system dpi).
if its stillnot working then it can be fingerprint and signing issues. in that case only a fullwipe helps. when the rom is built clean from the beginning though all will work right out of the box, issues like that are born from wrong compiling.

Thanks for your reply but all above is very technical information :p can u please guide me that except full wipe how can i restore to noram phone mod and laso please check attached screenshot for better understanding of the current status of the issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-10-19-15-25-15.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-10-19-15-25-15.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 2,010
  • Screenshot_2012-10-19-15-25-04.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-10-19-15-25-04.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 2,007
Last edited:

Ham duden

Feb 16, 2011
Copenhagen
YouTube app can't go any higher than 600px without crash

Hi

Thanks for the guide.

However, something disturbes me a bit when I use my Nexus 7 tablet. I have seen all those cool reviews with the YouTube app in tablet mode 800px-1200px, but mine can firstly only go to 800px - and when I choose it or 720px, it crashes!

600px is the only one I can choose - the phone app, which kinda sucks.

Can someone help me?

MrRedPants

Nov 26, 2009
Nice guide Bidyut! :D Will help many first timer PA users!

Being a first time PA user - this did help me a lot and I am quickly realizing just how powerful this hybrid engine is.

I appreciate the examples of how changing UI settings per app can change the layout (gmail, youtube).

Is there an ongoing list of apps that are affected by particular layout settings AND what the "recommended" or common UI settings per app are?

Thanks!

denmod

Apr 12, 2010
Try this

Hi

Thanks for the guide.

However, something disturbes me a bit when I use my Nexus 7 tablet. I have seen all those cool reviews with the YouTube app in tablet mode 800px-1200px, but mine can firstly only go to 800px - and when I choose it or 720px, it crashes!

600px is the only one I can choose - the phone app, which kinda sucks.

Can someone help me?

Hey! i had the same issue and I know how frustrating it was. Here's what to do. Go to Settings;Paranoid settings;INTERFACE...and on the right hand side you'll see:- Workspace UI, System Apps UI, User Apps default UI,...all of them being "Phone Mode". You have to change the last one, "User Apps Default UI" to TABLET MODE and reboot. Voila! Youtube in 3d!!

sathelate

Aug 2, 2009
Saint-Jérôme

HTC DESIRE

having the exact same issue on 2.54 ! :S
Was ok on 5.52 !? why ?!

if anybody can tell !

Thx ;)

dc82

Sep 24, 2010
Hello, I love this ROM but I am trying to fine tune a little. I have everything in tablet mode, which works very well for me and I have my System apps default size DPI set to 196. This makes the icons a good size and fits them nicely on the screen but, I am not able to take advantage of all of the usable space on the screen. There is area at the top and bottom that I am unable to use, how can I maximize the space of the entire screen in tablet mode?

I've attached a pic to show the range of where I am allowed to place apps. There is a whole unused space at the top and bottom.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-16-15-03-41.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-11-16-15-03-41.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,069
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WELCOME TO PARANOIDANDROID
    Noob's Guide to PA Settings
    pax3u3k.png

Integrated somewhere deep within the ParanoidAndroid source, is a Hybrid Engine. The Engine that makes PA stand out of the crowd. The feature of Per-App-Density & Per-App-Layout. (PAD & PAL)

Now, it has expanded beyond, & offers independent customization of even more visual elements, such as Lockscreen, Widgets, StatusBar/NavBar etc.
    The Hybrid Engine, is the source that powers it all. But to implement it we need something much more simpler, something that allows High-Level Control.

This is where ParanoidPreferences app comes in. (Abbv: PAPref)
    This handy app interacts with the Configuration files, & allows to control any & all elements easily.

This guide for those who might need it. The App in itself is pretty self-explanatory, but to make it easier to understand, I've made a visual guide, explaining each & every part of the app in detail.

Feel free to ask any questions that you might have :)

--------------------Jargons--------------------

You might come across some terms that are commonly used across the app, & all over the threads & blogs.
    I'll try to explain them briefly.

DPI: Dots Per Inch. As the name defines, DPI is the number of dots per inch of a screen.
    In PA, we can modify DPI of any & every app or service independently (PAD).

Lower DPI value, would cause a general shrinkage, & higher DPI value, would cause the app to get bigger.

In general, we have a few standard DPI values:
    xHDPI: 320 DPI | HDPI: 240 DPI | MDPI: 160 DPI | LDPI: 120 DPI

DP: DP, or DIP, is Device Independent Pixel.
    On an Android device of 160 DPI screen,
    Code:
    1dp = 1px (pixel)
    Hence, for a 320 DPI screen,
    Code:
    1dp= 1/2 px
    & so on.

DP (or px) can be used to customize the layout of the app used. PAL is where we make changes in px of any app or service, & change its layout to Phone/Phablet/Tablet or any custom layout (wherever applicable).

We use some standard px values as: 360px: Phone Mode | 600px: Phablet Mode | 720px: Tablet Mode

NOTE: The examples used below & in all subsequent posts is of a screen with standard 320 DPI (xHDPI). Some values might differ for other standard DPI screens, but the theory remains same.

To access the ParanoidAndroid Settings, Navigate to Settings -> ParanoidSettings

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

intointerface.png

--Move on to Post 2--
    This is the main Interface of PAPref.
    Lets explore the sub-menus in detail:

1)

workspace.png
    2)
    userinterface.png
    3)
    appsl.png
    4)
    backuprestore.png
    5)
    helpod.png
    Example results of GMail modification:

gmailphone.png
    gmailphab.png
    gmailtab.png
    For educational purpose, I'm selecting a random app, say 'GMail', to explain the available customization option to the users:

1)

sizee.png
    2)
    layoutuih.png
    3)
    forcer.png
    4)
    largescreen.png

The result of modifying Lockscreen Size:

lock320.png
    lock255.png

PS: And no. Changing DPI does NOT change the time on the lockscreen. o_O