Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,757 Members 48,463 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Xperia T Wi-Fi problem

Tip us?

Dutchmann
Old
(Last edited by Dutchmann; 9th October 2012 at 03:39 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Xperia T Wi-Fi problem

I just got an Sony Xperia T,

now I was trying to connect is to my router with the 5ghz-band, but the Xperia T can't find the network,
so then manually added the network, inserterd password, but then it says that the network isn't within reach,
but i'm sitting next to the router, the 2.4ghz-band works fine, and sony confirms that the phone should work with
the 5ghz-band in the white paper of the phone. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
BTW, my router is a Netgear WNDR3700 Dual Band.

AvRS
Old
Thanks Meter 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchmann View Post
I just got an Sony Xperia T,

now I was trying to connect is to my router with the 5ghz-band, but the Xperia T can't find the network,
so then manually added the network, inserterd password, but then it says that the network isn't within reach,
but i'm sitting next to the router, the 2.4ghz-band works fine, and sony confirms that the phone should work with
the 5ghz-band in the white paper of the phone. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
BTW, my router is a Netgear WNDR3700 Dual Band.
On your router have you set it to dual band as a lot of the time they have it defaulted to 2.4 b/g so you'd need to change it to auto or whatever option allows all. On my Linksys it says 2.4 and 5 as an option in the dropdown. That would be the only reason I can think of. Have you tried with any other device to connect to your 5ghz network?
Proud owner of an LG Nexus 5

papped
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Likely a router compatibility issue. I can connect to a Linksys e4200 on 5ghz with no problems

Sent from my Xperia T

LadFromWales85
Old
Thanks Meter 32
My Xperia T refuses to connect to my WiFi AP. It's only 2.4GHz, but according to the logs on the AP, it isn't even trying. On the phone side I very briefly see "Connecting" or similar on the AP list, then it reverts to Saved.

Log on phone is filled with entries like this:
Code:
I/wpa_supplicant(  565): wlan0: Trying to associate with 00:0c:42:XX:XX:XX (SSID='LFWnet' freq=2412 MHz)
I/wpa_supplicant(  565): wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-ASSOC-REJECT bssid=00:0c:42:XX:XX:XX status_code=1

MAC's partially XX'd
This happened on the stock Vodafone ROM, and still occurs on the Generic UK posted in General. I have tried WPA and WPA2, TKIP and AES, different channels, disabling N etc etc, still the same

Tried soft/hard reboots, wipes etc, nothing. It has connected to other public and protected AP's fine.

Am gutted as changing my AP to work around this problem is a no-go. Not had any problems with various other laptops and phones, including other SE/Xperia devices.

emuX
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadFromWales85 View Post
This happened on the stock Vodafone ROM, and still occurs on the Generic UK posted in General. I have tried WPA and WPA2, TKIP and AES, different channels, disabling N etc etc, still the same

Tried soft/hard reboots, wipes etc, nothing. It has connected to other public and protected AP's fine.

Am gutted as changing my AP to work around this problem is a no-go. Not had any problems with various other laptops and phones, including other SE/Xperia devices.
I'm on generic UK rom and using a BT Home Hub without any problems. I've also got my old dLink wireless n router I use as a print server and it works fine with that too. My brother has a Sky router (Netgear I think) and that works fine.

I think you must be unlucky.

---------- Post added at 07:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 AM ----------

Is your SSID published? Have you tried turning off all security on the router to see if you can connect then? (obviously I'm not suggesting you leave it unsecured but it is something to try.)

Also, posting your router details may give you an idea if others have been successful with that router before you splash any cash on a new one.

spflo
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Hi, my Xperia T also is not able to connect with my e4200 5 GHz WiFi. My Laptop and a Samsung Phone works without any problems... I read (sorry I donīt remember the forum link) Sony did not enable the 5 GHz frequency because of driver issues. But if it works on some phones, maybe itīs a provider specific issue like the permanent bootloader lock?

airchie
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Might be worth updating the firmware of your router?

Sent from my LT30p using xda app-developers app
Nexus 4 ftw

Dutchmann
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I think I found the problem, the 5ghz band of my router doesn't have much range appearently, when i'm trying to find the 5ghz band outside of my house, i can't find it, I can only find it when i'm in my room, that's where the router stands, but the 2.4 ghz band has a much better range, I can connect to is almost 20-30 meters outside of my house. I'm wondering when Netgear is coming out with an update for my router, hopefully that will solve the problem, or maybe it will be solved when the Xperia T gets an update to Jelly Bean.

pechnatunk
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchmann View Post
I think I found the problem, the 5ghz band of my router doesn't have much range appearently, when i'm trying to find the 5ghz band outside of my house, i can't find it, I can only find it when i'm in my room, that's where the router stands, but the 2.4 ghz band has a much better range, I can connect to is almost 20-30 meters outside of my house. I'm wondering when Netgear is coming out with an update for my router, hopefully that will solve the problem, or maybe it will be solved when the Xperia T gets an update to Jelly Bean.
Hi there,
I've just bought the Xperia T and I'm pretty disappointed I can't use my home wifi.
I'm having exactly the same problem - I can see my connection and connect (sometimes) but it is a very poor connection, then after a minute or says "Not in range". If I go outside (which is actually closer to where the modem is) I can get data at an acceptable speed.

Sorry I'm such a noob but can you explain to me where the limitation lies and how I might fix it. Every other device used in the house works - even an old iphone 3gs - I'm surprised Sony's newest phone hasn't implemented technology that must have been in use for years.
Or if it is the modem - any ideas on how to change it.
Sorry - can't give you details - the modem is locked in the landlords garage - so I can't see what make it is.

Thanks for helping a noob.

Skylegend
Old
(Last edited by Skylegend; 14th December 2012 at 08:57 AM.)
Thanks Meter 3
I have faced the same problem with my TX when connecting to my AP.
I think there is WIFI problem in receiving the WIFI signal of security mode WPA2/WPA.
You can change the WIFI security mode to WEP or No security.
My device can connect the WEP mode WIFI.
Hope you can solve the problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechnatunk View Post
Hi there,
I've just bought the Xperia T and I'm pretty disappointed I can't use my home wifi.
I'm having exactly the same problem - I can see my connection and connect (sometimes) but it is a very poor connection, then after a minute or says "Not in range". If I go outside (which is actually closer to where the modem is) I can get data at an acceptable speed.

Sorry I'm such a noob but can you explain to me where the limitation lies and how I might fix it. Every other device used in the house works - even an old iphone 3gs - I'm surprised Sony's newest phone hasn't implemented technology that must have been in use for years.
Or if it is the modem - any ideas on how to change it.
Sorry - can't give you details - the modem is locked in the landlords garage - so I can't see what make it is.

Thanks for helping a noob.

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe