Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,643 Members 39,724 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

RAZR i Root

Tip us?

mattlgroff
Old
(Last edited by mattlgroff; 2nd December 2012 at 09:29 AM.) Reason: Now a flashable .zip instead.
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 2365

DONATE TO ME
Default RAZR i Root

Root Your RAZR i

Before you do anything, you must unlock the bootloader on your RAZR i. See my thread here for details: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=32576654
If you do NOT want to unlock your bootloader, use this x86 version of motofail2go by Dan Rosenberg: http://174.132.194.66/~batakang//ftp...l2go_razri.zip

What does this do?
Flash this .zip in Clockworkmod by turl1 to Root your device.

Download:
http://batakang.com/ftp/RAZRi/RootUtility/RAZRiRoot.zip

Brought to you by Batakang and turl1 for his Clockworkmod Recovery. Cheers!
The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to mattlgroff For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ZeuBug
Old
Thanks Meter 499
Yeah! now I'm rooted, I'm ready to theme... Thanks for this simple root methode.
But, if I make mistake(s) while modify system apks, is there a solution to go back to original? I have to modify framework and a lot of system apks, it will not easy to do that only with root explorer...

Thanks and happy Razr i!

mattlgroff
Old
Thanks Meter 2365

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeuBug View Post
Yeah! now I'm rooted, I'm ready to theme... Thanks for this simple root methode.
But, if I make mistake(s) while modify system apks, is there a solution to go back to original? I have to modify framework and a lot of system apks, it will not easy to do that only with root explorer...

Thanks and happy Razr i!
Here you are

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1936512

ZeuBug
Old
Thanks Meter 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlgroff View Post
I saw that but I didn't realize it could flash .zips... so I go to work a little bit and going back here just after! Happy to see you here!

Sent from my XT890 using xda premium

mattlgroff
Old
Thanks Meter 2365

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I saw that but I didn't realize it could flash .zips... so I go to work a little bit and going back here just after! Happy to see you here!

Sent from my XT890 using xda premium
We can't flash zips just yet, need a custom recovery. These are not flashable, but contain fastbootable files for the firmware's system and boot images. The systems are not signed so it won't work on locked device.
The Following User Says Thank You to mattlgroff For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ZeuBug
Old
Thanks Meter 499
Quote:
We can't flash zips just yet, need a custom recovery. These are not flashable, but contain fastbootable files for the firmware's system and boot images. The systems are not signed so it won't work on locked device.
But could we do it: adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework/framework-res.apk ?

mattlgroff
Old
Thanks Meter 2365

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
But could we do it: adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework/framework-res.apk ?
Well if your framework-res.apk is broken the phone tends to not boot normally. If you did have working adb you would need to mount the system as re-writable. Whether this is with the root exploit and stopping the batch at the "adb remount" command or flashing the razr_i_boot_insecured.img to allow you to run "adb remount" doesn't make a difference.

Fastboot flashing system works even if adb doesn't (assuming you have good enough battery power or a factory-style adapter from Team Black Hat).
The Following User Says Thank You to mattlgroff For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ZeuBug
Old
Thanks Meter 499
Quote:
Well if your framework-res.apk is broken the phone tends to not boot normally. If you did have working adb you would need to mount the system as re-writable. Whether this is with the root exploit and stopping the batch at the "adb remount" command or flashing the razr_i_boot_insecured.img to allow you to run "adb remount" doesn't make a difference.

Fastboot flashing system works even if adb doesn't (assuming you have good enough battery power or a factory-style adapter from Team Black Hat).
Sorry to ask you more detail, but it will be first time I will modifiy system files without cwm...

1-I could edit your .bat to push my modded apks?
2-with razr_i_boot_insecured.img? which lines I have to keep or not to keep?
3-is-it safe? if I do mistakes, pushing the original apks could solve the problems?
4-what is chmod number for those apks?

Thanks a lot...

mattlgroff
Old
Thanks Meter 2365

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Sorry to ask you more detail, but it will be first time I will modifiy system files without cwm...

1-I could edit your .bat to push my modded apks?
2-with razr_i_boot_insecured.img? which lines I have to keep or not to keep?
3-is-it safe? if I do mistakes, pushing the original apks could solve the problems?
4-what is chmod number for those apks?

Thanks a lot...
You can find modified source here:
http://pastebin.com/gnNfBU1H

Just edit the batch in notepad and paste that in. Have framework-res.apk in the same folder. The best idea is to just always have the insecured boot.img on your phone, so you only have to type "adb remount"

HSD-Pilot
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2011
Hey Mattlgroff,

after the SS3 Hype is over here, i finally got time to get new stuff into our RazR i Forum. First thing i saw was the new Root Method. I'm right, this can be done with an complete locked Bootloader? Sounds great for many users i guess.