5,606,530 Members 34,058 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[KERNEL][ICS][JB][v2.1] USB Ethernet, DVD, Voodoo, Kernel manager app!

Tip us?

sainthout
Old
(Last edited by sainthout; 12th November 2012 at 08:46 PM.) Reason: v2.1 (ICS and CM10) released !!!
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40

DONATE TO ME
Default [KERNEL][ICS][JB][v2.1] USB Ethernet, DVD, Voodoo, Kernel manager app!

2.2 released!
In the news!

Current features:
  • Based on Asus 9.2.1.27 WW kernelsources
  • Backported all Linux 3.2 USB LAN drivers (bandwidth up to 250 MBit/s! tested with a SMSC LAN7500)
  • ISO9660 (+Joilet), UDF, FAT12 and Apple HFS file system support (USB CD\DVD access! See notes)
  • Voodoo Sound support!
  • Turned a few unneeded kernel features off and compiled with Linaro GCC, it's smaller and boots quite a bit faster than other kernels!
  • Installable using your favorite recovery (tested on CWM v6.0.1.4 v2)
  • New versions of Tegra 2 codecs for ICS based ROMs (will be provided within a separate installable .zip)
  • Kernel manager application to manage loaded drivers and file system modules!
  • Supports almost all current ICS and JB ROMs

Compatible with:
  • If you tested this with any other unlisted ROM, please drop some feedback!

Note 1: Some USB devices may need additional power, if so, get a Y cable from eBay so you can power a USB device using a external USB power source
Note 2: External optical drivers and floppy drives will not be mounted automatically, as Android doesn't officially support them
Note 3: CSS protected DVDs are not supported (e.g. Retail movies), due to Linux kernel limitations
Note 4: NTFS is not supported 'out of the box', please use Paragon driver from Google Play

Downloads:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gxi0gsl0tdfapgi/Ja19Exs4Sz
(PLEASE install Busybox 1.20.2 using one of the installer apps from Google Play, it is needed for the Kernelmanager application to function properly)

Source:
https://github.com/sander-ashwin/tf101-allinone-kernel

Please report if something does not work!!

Mounting optical drives:
1: First make sure your device is proper rooted (the "mount" command we'll use needs root)
2: Install Android Terminal Emulator from Google Play and open it
3: Type "su" and press enter, you should be asked if you would like to give root access, say Yes
4: Make a mountpoint directory, e.g. "mkdir /Removable/opticaldrive"
5: Mount your optical drive (make sure it gets enough power and something is inserted in the drive) using this command: "busybox mount /dev/block/sr0 /Removable/opticaldrive"
6: You're done! If you inserted a DVD movie, you might want to install Wondershare player or some other player that is capable of playing DVDs with menus
7: If you encounter any difficulties, please reply on this thread or send me a message

Connecting your TF101 to wired ethernet:
1: Buy a TF101 USB Host connector if you don't already have one (they are very cheap online, around 12-15 dollars)
2: Connect the adapter to your TF101, plug in your USB ethernet adapter
3: Android will display a message in the lower right corner of the screen that an ethernet adapter has been connected
4: Connect the LAN cable
5: Android will display a message that your device is connected using DHCP, you can now use internet using LAN
6: If you require manual IP settings, please go to Android's settings, there you can set manual IP or DHCP (OPTIONAL STEP)

Thanks to:
  • RaymanFX - for inspiring me with his own kernel, and for porting CM10
  • Asus - for making a pretty good device
  • prendomiao - for beta testing
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to sainthout For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sainthout
Old
(Last edited by sainthout; 12th November 2012 at 08:47 PM.) Reason: v2.1 !!!
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40

DONATE TO ME
Default Changelog

v1.0:
  • First release!

v1.1:
  • Removed some more junk from kernel
  • Now actually added new filesystem drivers!

v1.2:
  • Backport of Linux 3.6 I2C core
  • A little more cleanup of unneeded features

v1.3:
  • Backported all Linux 3.2 USB LAN drivers
  • Kernel now includes support for Voodoo Sound!

v1.4:
  • I2C fixes + Tegra I2C driver ported from kernel 3.6
  • Tweaked I2C timeout, hopefully our touchscreen won't lag anymore
    (this may fix the problem that the touchscreen sometimes doesn't respond for a second, because of an I2C timeout)

v2.0:
  • Fixed sound
  • Now compiled using latest Linaro GCC 4.7.2 compiler
  • New kernel manager application to manage loaded drivers! You're in control, so the kernel doesn't load unneeded modules anymore!
  • Reverted I2C changes, as they didn't really help

v2.1:
  • Now compatible with ROMs based on RaymanFX's CM10
  • Updated BCMDHD WLAN driver for CM10 kernel
  • A little cleanup to synchronise both ICS and CM10 versions
  • Updated Linaro compiler to 2012.10

v2.2:
  • Added some new releases for more compatibility
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sainthout For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

prendomiao
Old
Thanks Meter 51
i tried it. there is a little change, it is a bit speedly... i don't tried videos... but it is good good work
Sorry for my bad english if I wrote something wrong
If I helped you, you may click button Thanks

LG Optimus GT540
ROM: SLDL 4.0 Gingerbread 2.3.7 CM7.2 by miroslav_mm

Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 Wi-Fi 16GB
ROM: KatKiss 4.4.2

LG Nexus 4
ROM: Nexus 5 Experience CAF Kernel

sainthout
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40

DONATE TO ME
Thank you! Hope videos will play better as Tegra 2 is really picky with HD videos.
I'm now writing a tutorial for mounting optical discs, fortunately it's not really difficult.

prendomiao
Old
Thanks Meter 51
but drivers must support them
Sorry for my bad english if I wrote something wrong
If I helped you, you may click button Thanks

LG Optimus GT540
ROM: SLDL 4.0 Gingerbread 2.3.7 CM7.2 by miroslav_mm

Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 Wi-Fi 16GB
ROM: KatKiss 4.4.2

LG Nexus 4
ROM: Nexus 5 Experience CAF Kernel

sainthout
Old
(Last edited by sainthout; 10th October 2012 at 11:00 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40

DONATE TO ME
Well, I included them already They are in your device if you still have my kernel installed.
But Android doesn't support automounting optical drives, so we have to mount the optical disc ourselves, until someone writes an app to do it (automatically).

EDIT: please install v1.1 if you would like to use your optical drive, as I forgot to include the drivers while compiling v1.0 :P

poppajules
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Outstanding kernel. The first one I've run without SoD so far. I don't need OC, so the extra freq.'s are not important. Super quick, reliable so far for a few hours. I'll continue to report back, especially if I get SoD's. They are the bane of my existence. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium.

sainthout
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40

DONATE TO ME
Thanks! Hope you can enjoy your device again
I would like to implement overclocking though, but only if the kernel is still 100% stable for everyone.
Stil need to find out how, as I'm still learning C and kernel hacking.

The main problem at the moment is that all different hardware revisions have different issues.
Mine has touchscreen issues with a lot of kernels for example, your device may freeze when sleeping, but with a lot of testing and debugging we might be able to create a kernel that works for everyone.

When having any problems, please keep reporting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppajules View Post
Outstanding kernel. The first one I've run without SoD so far. I don't need OC, so the extra freq.'s are not important. Super quick, reliable so far for a few hours. I'll continue to report back, especially if I get SoD's. They are the bane of my existence. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium.

K900
Old
Thanks Meter 2203
Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthout View Post
Thanks! Hope you can enjoy your device again
I would like to implement overclocking though, but only if the kernel is still 100% stable for everyone.
Stil need to find out how, as I'm still learning C and kernel hacking.

The main problem at the moment is that all different hardware revisions have different issues.
Mine has touchscreen issues with a lot of kernels for example, your device may freeze when sleeping, but with a lot of testing and debugging we might be able to create a kernel that works for everyone.

When having any problems, please keep reporting!
To avoid SoDs, you need to set the lower voltage higher.
For the love of Haruhi, don't PM me with questions. There are Q&A forums for that.

sainthout
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40

DONATE TO ME
The standard voltages I'm using should be ok, but mine still SoD's sometimes.
With stock kernel as well as with other kernels, as well as with my own kernel..

Unfortunately it always happens when I'm not at home, so I can't directly debug using ADB (if possible at all).
So I can't easily find out wether it's a hardware issue, kernel issue or software issue.

If anyone has a clue about this, please reply!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K900 View Post
To avoid SoDs, you need to set the lower voltage higher.