[APP][2.1+] Naked Browser 1.0 - A full featured yet tiny web browser

OP aminaked

10th October 2012, 08:23 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Redwood City, California
Thanks Meter: 1,194

387 posts
Hey now,

I was fed up with the privacy violations, bloat, instability, and general stupid functionality of Android browsers. I decided to make my own. Introducing...

Naked Browser

TRUST: Right permissions with no spying.
SPEED: No bloat, including minimal GUI candy.
FEATURES: Crash restore, undo close tab, one finger zoom, infinite tabs, and more.
FREE: As in no cost. Not even any ads.

Here's the web site: http://nakedbrowser.com/android/

I've been working on this for the past few months. I've been quite meticulous when trying to focus on speed and avoiding bloat. As a result, it isn't the prettiest app in the world. However, please know that most of my effort went under the hood. Stability and a rich feature set mean more to me than eye candy.
Last edited by aminaked; 31st October 2012 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Added [2.1+] to title
The Following 437 Users Say Thank You to aminaked For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th October 2012, 03:31 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Delhi
Thanks Meter: 1,952

3,285 posts
Donate to Me
More
Interesting concept. Must say, its REAL FAST
Inspite of all this, I would just advise some UI enhancements, thats it. Else it is a nearly perfect browser.

Oh, forgot to mention but the icon looks kind of old, how about adding a new trendy one? :thumbup:

Sent from my LG-P500 using xda app-developers app
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DJBhardwaj For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th October 2012, 05:17 AM   |  #3  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 76

362 posts
Donate to Me
More
It looks ok, though I cannot use it with this GUI mate... Looks fugly...

Would be the perfect browser If ui were tuned up a little bit... Will keep it installed to check for any updates

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teio For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th October 2012, 08:53 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Redwood City, California
Thanks Meter: 1,194

387 posts
Thumbs up
Thanks guys. I'm really happy to read that it's real fast and it would be the perfect browser.

I focused as close to 0% on the UI as possible. Honestly, that was a goal. My top priorities were speed, stability, and functionality/features. In fact, unless I forget something, other than the blue color I added the entire UI is based on function alone. I even resisted adding the button icons but it actually took time to read the labels to figure out what to do so I added them.

I even wanted to go with the generic default "andy the android" application icon but instead opted to draw my own globe from memory in about 3 minutes in GIMP. So, it's not an old icon! It's new!!! ;-P And obviously I'm no illustrator.

The UI shows my dedication to making it function properly rather than look beautiful. It's like Apache or something. The interface isn't beautiful--just a config file in Apache's case--but it works like a champ. Sometimes when you focus first on the way it looks (Microsoft?), you end up with a pile of doo doo. I prefer it to look crappy but run great. Later it can look and run great.

Anyway, thanks for checking it out. I'm still improving it so keep it installed if you like. You might find yourself using it, you might end up thinking it's beautiful, but either way it will improve.
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to aminaked For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th October 2012, 10:37 PM   |  #5  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 76

362 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aminaked

Thanks guys. I'm really happy to read that it's real fast and it would be the perfect browser.

I focused as close to 0% on the UI as possible. Honestly, that was a goal. My top priorities were speed, stability, and functionality/features. In fact, unless I forget something, other than the blue color I added the entire UI is based on function alone. I even resisted adding the button icons but it actually took time to read the labels to figure out what to do so I added them.

I even wanted to go with the generic default "andy the android" application icon but instead opted to draw my own globe from memory in about 3 minutes in GIMP. So, it's not an old icon! It's new!!! ;-P And obviously I'm no illustrator.

The UI shows my dedication to making it function properly rather than look beautiful. It's like Apache or something. The interface isn't beautiful--just a config file in Apache's case--but it works like a champ. Sometimes when you focus first on the way it looks (Microsoft?), you end up with a pile of doo doo. I prefer it to look crappy but run great. Later it can look and run great.

Anyway, thanks for checking it out. I'm still improving it so keep it installed if you like. You might find yourself using it, you might end up thinking it's beautiful, but either way it will improve.

And hell yeah, you did manage to get a fast browser... guess I will be using it when the interface gets a little better...

I know the speed and functionality comes first, but I hate to admit that I'm attracted to good looks rather than functionality... I know, I'm ashamed... but I can't help it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to Teio For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th October 2012, 11:33 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 67

786 posts
I just discover your interesting browser. Regarding to the size but bar tools should be display at buttom like zoom icons and only icons (no txt) cause it take too much space.
Hope to see next version if possible maybe with modern icon
Keep the good job
thanks
Last edited by Mchasard; 11th October 2012 at 11:37 PM.
12th October 2012, 07:00 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 16

94 posts
Thanks for the app, it loads fast and i actually like the UI, it's kinda cute . Any plan for urlfilter like in opera mobile, so I can block ad locally?
12th October 2012, 11:08 AM   |  #8  
Flag Taiwan
Thanks Meter: 7

39 posts
Really fast browser! The UI is sooooo sick!!!
But I found that the bookmarks and history on the start page are not support unicode languages, such as Chinese...
And is there a history page? Seems not. I can only access to history on the start page...
If there's a history menu or it can show the history inside bookmark page would be nice.
The rest is fantastic!

Thanks!!
12th October 2012, 11:30 AM   |  #9  
Flag Quad Cities, Illinois
Thanks Meter: 289

1,853 posts
More
Honestly this thing is pretty quick lol nice job!

Sent from my SCH-I535
The Following User Says Thank You to Clienterror For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th October 2012, 11:39 AM   |  #10  
Flag Taiwan
Thanks Meter: 7

39 posts
There's another request:
Please add option to create bookmark shortcut on home screen...
I think this is really useful!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to h3110 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
web browser naked browser android
Previous Thread Next Thread