XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Micro USB to Ethernet Port Adapter for Galaxy note 2

Tip us?

bigjim
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] Micro USB to Ethernet Port Adapter for Galaxy note 2

Just wondering if there anything out there that would work? Is there drivers within Jelly bean that would allow me to do this? Any help would be appreciated.

lemmatti
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Could you use a otg cable and a normal usb to ethernet adapter? Don't know if something like this is supported though.

eng.rego
Old
Thanks Meter 98
But why u want something like that while u have wifi and kies air? What thinga u canot do through wifi?

↖(^▽^)↗ Sent from Rego Galaxy Note ↖(^▽^)↗

alyosha
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng.rego View Post
But why u want something like that while u have wifi and kies air? What thinga u canot do through wifi?

↖(^▽^)↗ Sent from Rego Galaxy Note ↖(^▽^)↗
I don't want to use WiFi because i don't. Simple as that.
Have anyone found something to solve this problem?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alyosha For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

manjeev
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Yeah,
That would be a welcome feature if possible. Can't get wifi everywhere.
Cheers

el_chiefo
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Yea, I just tried it right now as I just received my usb-on-the-go and did not work. Its the same usb to ethernet dongle that I've used on my Transformer. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VSTDFG)

I am hopefully getting the dock for this thing and wanted to use this as a full blown computer with ethernet. Hopefully someone can get it to work.

rx7boy22
Old
Thanks Meter 1
It might work but might have to be built right in the kernel...hmmm...looks interesting though.

John

Renthal
Old
Thanks Meter 0
My Note 2 will actually light up the USB Ethernet adapter and show a link to the network switch, but there doesn't seem to be any 'Ethernet' connection usage option with the Note 2 as of yet. I was under the impression by default Ethernet functionality was part of ice cream sandwich and jelly bean, but it appears Samsung has removed it.

el56
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renthal View Post
I was under the impression by default Ethernet functionality was part of ice cream sandwich and jelly bean, but it appears Samsung has removed it.
My experience has been exactly the opposite. Most Android kernels (and almost all stock ones) do not come with drivers that support most Ethernet chipsets, even kernels that support OTG. While these drivers are usually easy to find in Linux source code, very few flashable kernels compile them in (It's not hard if the kernel builder chooses to include them in the build tree).

I have two inexpensive USB Ethernet dongles and have had a very hard time making either work. While waiting, I have resorted to getting a small traveller's portable Ethernet hotspot/router such as the TP-Link WR3020. That works fine and has the benefit of supporting multiple devices off one Ethernet drop without needing a switch.

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng.rego View Post
There are still many hotels and offices that use wired Ethernet and don't have wifi. So if you want to replace a laptop with an N2, sometimes you need to be places where there is an Ethernet drop, but no wifi (and either your SIM card doesn't work where you are, or roaming is horrendously expensive).

If you travel frequently, it can happen often enough that you need either an Ethernet network adaptor, or a small wifi router.

Also: even if not travelling, you can't break into a wired connection quite as easily as a wireless one. Wired is often faster and certainly more secure.

paral
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by el56 View Post
My experience has been exactly the opposite. Most Android kernels (and almost all stock ones) do not come with drivers that support most Ethernet chipsets, even kernels that support OTG. While these drivers are usually easy to find in Linux source code, very few flashable kernels compile them in (It's not hard if the kernel builder chooses to include them in the build tree).
I need this Ethernet-over-USB functionality. I believe it is called CDC-ECM. When I have built a Linux kernel in the past it was included with option "Multi-purpose USB Networking Framework"

Does anyone know of a kernel for Note2 (N7100) that supports this?