Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,274 Members 39,468 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][DEV]Moxee 0.3a (3rd Release) 11/09/2012 - (Steaming Video)

Tip us?

Meticulus
Old
(Last edited by Meticulus; 9th November 2012 at 03:45 PM.) Reason: 3rd release!
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,696

DONATE TO ME
Video [APP][DEV]Moxee 0.3a (3rd Release) 11/09/2012 - (Steaming Video)

What is Moxee?
Moxee is a video watching application that I've been working on for years and have recently decided to port my code for Android. Before the Internet became so popular. I used to love just watching T.V. But now I love watching free on-line content. With television there was always something on but with on-line content you have to pick and choose everything to watch. Moxee, like television, allows you to pick what you don't want to watch. You just turn it on, add sources, and Moxee churns up video after video non-stop. If you don't like what it's playing skip to the next video!

What video sources does Moxee support?
For right now Moxee supports:
1. YouTube user channels
2. YouTube search results
3. Pod-casts

Why is Moxee released in Alpha?
The test emulators provided in the Android SDK do not run well on my computer and I only have two devices that I can test Moxee on. Those would be an OG Motorola Droid and a Samsung Galaxy Player. Before I move it to Beta, there may be more features that I want to add and the options menu is not complete but it is complete enough to be usable.

Where can I get Moxee?
Moxee is not available on the Android Market because, as I have recently learned, there is a $25 registration fee for developers and I can not afford that at the moment. I know, it's not a lot of money but I am a poor, poor man. I am hoping that by distributing here I can earn enough $ through ads to pay the $25 dollar fee. Anyways there should be a download link below.

Give this app a try and let me know what you think!

Any other questions feel free to ask...

Attached Files
File Type: apk Moxee.apk - [Click for QR Code] (512.0 KB, 544 views)
File Type: apk Moxee-0.2a.apk - [Click for QR Code] (460.1 KB, 375 views)
File Type: apk Moxee-0.3a.apk - [Click for QR Code] (405.6 KB, 66 views)
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Meticulus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Meticulus
Old
(Last edited by Meticulus; 9th November 2012 at 06:19 PM.) Reason: Uploaded new Screens from 0.3a
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,696

DONATE TO ME
Camera Screens

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Moxee 0.3a Screen 2.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1469438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moxee 0.3a Screen 1.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1469439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moxee 0.3a Screen.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	1469440  
The Following User Says Thank You to Meticulus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Meticulus
Old
(Last edited by Meticulus; 9th November 2012 at 04:03 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,696

DONATE TO ME
Clock Development Info

Possible future functionality:
  • Youtube: comments, annotations( I suspect that this can be done), description etc.
  • "Save video to sdcard";
  • RTMP video sources would be nice...(I'm not sure I can do this but will be thinking about ways)

Changes in 0.3a:
  • 11/7/2012 Video transitions much shorter! DONE!
    The process for video selection is rather long so I'm having the next video selected while the current video is playing. This cuts down on time between video's in most cases!
  • 11/4/2012 Incorporation of YouTube related video's DONE!
    Related video's on a random metric!
  • 11/2/2012 Youtube video quality option. DONE!
    This one took a little while. Had do deal with what was available on a case by case basis. Bonus: Revision3 video's obey the quality setting!
  • 11/2/2012 Preserve last video and position for resuming. DONE!
    This turned out to be pretty simple too. Just had to store some state info in the db.
    This was much easier than I thought it would be!
  • 11/2/2012 Provide "In App" button for settings. DONE!
    This was much easier than I thought it would be!
  • 10/25/2012 9 patched the background image for feed items. DONE!
    I was hoping that 9 patching the background image would give me a more consistent look across multiple devices in the feed manager. It helped but not nearly as much as I would have hoped.

Changes in 0.2a:
  • 10/16/2012 Stop Moxee from playing while the screen is off. DONE!
    There was an issue where if you turned the screen off when Moxee was in a transitional phase, threads that were started before the screen was turned off would cause the app to continue to play videos. Terminating these threads have resolved the issue!
  • 10/15/2012 Toggle fullscreen to access notifications. DONE!
    This turned out to be a simple matter of adding and clearing window flags. Now when ever you see the onscreen display, you will have access to the notification bar!
  • 10/15/2012 Worked out a few minor issues.
    There was an issue were sources were not seen until they had been updated by the back-end.
    Added thumbnails for sources in the feed manager.
    There was an issue where if YouTube did not have a "medium" quality mp4 for any particular video it would error off.
    Resolved a threading issue where if next was pressed at a particular time, there would be a discontinuity between the titlebar and the actual video playing.
    Resolved a threading issue where the titlebar said it was "Loading when in fact it was playing a video.
  • 10/13/2012 Making setting available to those without physical menu button. DONE!
    According to the information provided here (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...rence-activity) putting a menu option called "Settings" in the menu will cause ICS and above to show the 3 dot soft settings button. We shall see!
    Well as it turns out that if you lower your build target(ei gingerbread), ICS (and above) will auto detect and put soft settings button in the action bar. However, lowering the build target caused problems with the latest Google ads jar so I had to revert to a lower version of that, but It's all working now!! I just need to make sure that the ads are really working.
History:
  • 10/12/2012 Moxee Initial Release 0.1a
  • 10/19/2012 Moxee 2nd Release 0.2a
  • 11/09/2012 Moxee 3rd Release 0.3a
The Following User Says Thank You to Meticulus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Meticulus
Old
(Last edited by Meticulus; 9th November 2012 at 03:47 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,696

DONATE TO ME
Default Download Links

Attached Files
File Type: apk Moxee-0.1a.apk - [Click for QR Code] (512.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: apk Moxee-0.2a.apk - [Click for QR Code] (460.1 KB, 122 views)
File Type: apk Moxee-0.3a.apk - [Click for QR Code] (405.6 KB, 7 views)

lattisimo
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Works fairly well on my Sprint GS3 running 4.1.1.

Main problem, plays after turning the screen off.

Would love to be able to turn to portrait to get access to notifications without stopping the video.

Nice work

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to lattisimo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

conantroutman
Old
(Last edited by conantroutman; 13th October 2012 at 02:06 PM.)
Moderator Committee / XDA Portal Team - Title Under Construction. Please Pardon Our Dust
Thanks Meter 7,115
Running well on my Xoom (4.1.2).

It would be nice to be able to get to the original source of the video somehow, however I kind of like that you can't as it saves your from becoming distracted and not actually watching anything all the way through. In that respect it really is like watching old analogue TV.

Edit - Menu not available on the Xoom due to the lack of a dedicated (physical) menu button.

"If Diane Young won't change your mind......"

HTC HD2, Samsung Galaxy SII, Note II, Nexus 7 2012 & Motorola Xoom
The Following User Says Thank You to conantroutman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Meticulus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,696

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lattisimo View Post
Works fairly well on my Sprint GS3 running 4.1.1.

Main problem, plays after turning the screen off.

Would love to be able to turn to portrait to get access to notifications without stopping the video.

Nice work

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for giving my app a try! I have reproduced that it does play with the screen off and I will be working on that one. I don't think that I'm prepared to allow the app into portrait mode but what I will work on is the option to take it out of full screen mode so users will have access to the notification bar.
  • Simply because "A" precedes "B" doesn't necessarily mean that "A" caused "B"
  • Let's work the problem people. Let's not make things worse by guessing.
  • I don't care about what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do.

Development Projects @ meticulus.co.vu
Carbon ROM for Samsung Galaxy Exhibit / Ace 2e
Carbon ROM for Samsung Galaxy Player 5
Carbon ROM for Hisense Sero 7 Pro

Meticulus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,696

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by conantroutman View Post
Running well on my Xoom (4.1.2).

It would be nice to be able to get to the original source of the video somehow, however I kind of like that you can't as it saves your from becoming distracted and not actually watching anything all the way through. In that respect it really is like watching old analogue TV.

Edit - Menu not available on the Xoom due to the lack of a dedicated (physical) menu button.

Thanks so much for testing on your Xoom! I suspected that the lack of a physical menu button might be a problem. I suppose it would be best to make my own buttons for those functions. When you say, original source of the video, I'm not sure what you mean, but I am considering a "download this video" button for the future and even a "cache these video's overnight" kinda thing...
  • I don't care about what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do.

conantroutman
Old
Moderator Committee / XDA Portal Team - Title Under Construction. Please Pardon Our Dust
Thanks Meter 7,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticulus View Post
Thanks so much for testing on your Xoom! I suspected that the lack of a physical menu button might be a problem. I suppose it would be best to make my own buttons for those functions. When you say, original source of the video, I'm not sure what you mean, but I am considering a "download this video" button for the future and even a "cache these video's overnight" kinda thing...
You're welcome, also tested on my SGSII (CM10 4.1.2) and running fine there too.

When I said original source I meant for example being able to get to a video on YouTube or wherever it originally came from in case someone wanted read the comments or get some background info etc...

Cheers

"If Diane Young won't change your mind......"

HTC HD2, Samsung Galaxy SII, Note II, Nexus 7 2012 & Motorola Xoom
The Following User Says Thank You to conantroutman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Meticulus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,696

DONATE TO ME
Moxee 0.2a released. See 2nd post entitled "Development Info" for changes. See 1rst or 4th post for download links!. Let me know what you think!

Tags
moxee, podcast, streaming, video, youtube