TURN OFF SCREEN AND AVOID OVERHEATING PROBLEM FROM PROLONGED STREAMING/GAMING OVER HDMI / MHL | DOWNLOADING DATA OVER WIFI
SAVE YOUR SCREEN AND BATTERY WHILE PHONE IS STILL RUNNING!
AUTO SCREEN OFF / ON WITH HDMI CONNECTION / DISCONNECTION
Git Repo: https://github.com/nkahoang/screenstandby
Remote Controller Feature - Public Review
Outgoing call automator
SCREEN STANDBY IS NOW LIVE ON GOOGLE PLAY STORE!
The app is published under the name "Screen Standby ♯ Root"
VIDEO CLIPS SHOWCASING THE APPS:
SEE NEW FEATURES IN ACTION!
SEE APP IN ACTION! (thanks Doctor.Krouch so much for the awesome clips)
All About Android - Episode 86 with a short review of Screen Standby
XDA TV Review of Screen Standby!
[B]CooLoserTech·Top 10 Best Apps of the week # 171
This is originally for HTC One X, however, I have ported it to the Galaxy Nexus and now it could work on all devices! (Galaxy S3 / Moto Razr / etc). "Screen Standby" will completely turn off the backlight while keeping the phone running for MHL / HDMI streaming|gaming. That means you can now watch movie / play games on big screen and can still turn off the screen (touch screen still works!).
- Switch off the screen temporarily without actually putting the phone into 'sleep mode'. The phone is still running! It saves your battery, avoids heating to prolong battery life
- Since 1.96, screen can be optionally turned into touchpad!
- It has a nice little widget that let you quickly turn the screen off from your homescreen
- Since version 1.5 beta 2, shaking your device will temporarily toggle between complete screen off and lowest brightness level (so that you can perform quick action without playing a blind guessing game)
- Non-root method now available with 1.98 Beta 7
- One two dimmer: Turn off screen automatically after an idling time (no user interaction)
- Simple interface
This little app will temporarily turn off screen backlight, however, unlike putting the phone to sleep, the phone is kept running. It is perfect for keeping the phone from heating from prolonged HDMI streaming over Medialink HD or MHL connection (the screen is off yet image/movie/games continue to be streamed) / or wifi data downloading, etc.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
It attempts to perform various actions (cutting screen voltage / brightness / light switch / writing a blank image to frame buffer, etc)
(Since 1.5, the voltage method is temporarily disabled)
For some devices, the screen may shutter a bit if Automatic Brightness is turned on. However, the app will automatically detect it and put the backlight into sleep again. So if you want to avoid the problem, set Automatic Brightness to false.. Since 1.7, enable auto brightness handling in app setting helps preventing this flickering
HOW TO TURN ON THE SCREEN AGAIN?
+ Click on the app notification on your status bar (since version 1.3) or
+ Simply put the phone into true sleep (short press power button) then turn it on (power button again)
+ Temporarily lid the light a bit by shaking the device (since 1.5b2, enable it in Menu -> Settings)
+ If you can't turn on using any of the above methods, press emergency button (in main app interface) to turn on / or use 2 by 1 widget
Install as normal apk No big deal
Remember, install and use as your own risk, even though I can't think of any damage this little app can cause to your phone
ßeta 2 Changelog:
Add toggable UI: Metro and Android Dark Holo (in Settings -> Extra)
New feature: Outgoing call automator !
First ßeta Changelog:
- New! Setting Wizard to help user quickly and easily set up Screen Standby. Simply select your known-supported device (the list is expanding!
Please help me) and your use-case (Streaming movie / Playing ingress / Playing Youtube etc) and the wizard will automatically select the optimised preset for you!
- New! Screen Standby Search Plugin to help automate Screen Standby from Search key (long press search hardware-key or softkey) or Google Now gesture (swipe up from Home softkey on Jellybean device). The plugin can now open Screen Standby interface, activate / deactivate / toggle screen off or launch Remote Controller
- Added better Root & BusyBox checker and helper
- Added new Tasker intent to control screen standby:
com.nkahoang.screenstandby.action.TOGGLE : to toggle screen on and off automatically
com.nkahoang.screenstandby.action.REMOTE_CONTROL: to launch Remote Control from tasker
- Added new option to broadcast an intent to Tasker when HDMI is detected (go to my app's settings -> HDMI Detection -> Enable broadcast on HDMI Connection/Disconnection. Specify intent action (case-sensitive) for each case. Go to tasker, add New System Event -> Intent Received, type exactly the action intent you provided in Screen Standby). The best part is, HDMI Intent can also be broadcast without activating Screen Standby (yeah, so you can use SS as a HDMI sensor for tasker)
- Added ability to use Remote Controller with Wifi-Direct (if a warning message is shown, just click 'Continue Anyway')
- Continued optimisation for Nexus 4
- Added wake-lock to One Two Dimmer
- Slightly tuned sensors
From user report:
Normally, with the same amount of time watching movie, battery drain drops from 30% down to just 2%!!!!!!!!!!!
Please report bugs / feedbacks / suggestions.
To help me solving your issue faster, since version 1.31, you may want to open the app, hit "Menu" key -> Print debug info. It will then generates a log file containing the required information. Please send that file over pm to me. Thank you
Special thanks to:
- ppmeis (helps with S2, now S3 / Transformer and lots of other stuffs)
- winsettr (helps with Galaxy Nexus compatibility and constant reports)
- mnsk (helps with his Sony and Iconia)
- cocatriz (helps with S2)
- TheDarkLux (helps with Galaxy S3)
- evilmtv (helps with problems on GB devices)
- agronick from AppRadio / ARLiberator forum
- jjwatmyself (and also thanks for his mention of my app on his thread)
Follow the instruction of this post:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=565 (Llama, thank Buzzthebuzzsaw)
Stable version of app can be downloaded in attachments section on through Google Play Store. In addition, this thread will receive beta / experimental build in the future.
Archived build (1.1 to 1.96) can be downloaded from here