[APP/OPEN SOURCE]Screen Standby ♯ Root [2.0]-Screen off while keeping device active
SCREEN STANDBY ♯ ROOT 2.0 TURN OFF SCREEN AND AVOID OVERHEATING PROBLEM FROM PROLONGED STREAMING/GAMING OVER HDMI / MHL | DOWNLOADING DATA OVER WIFI SAVE YOUR SCREEN AND BATTERY WHILE PHONE IS STILL RUNNING! OPEN SOURCE! AUTO SCREEN OFF / ON WITH HDMI CONNECTION / DISCONNECTION
This is originally for HTC One X, however, I have ported it to the Galaxy Nexus and now it could work on all devices! (Galaxy S3 / Moto Razr / etc). "Screen Standby" will completely turn off the backlight while keeping the phone running for MHL / HDMI streaming|gaming. That means you can now watch movie / play games on big screen and can still turn off the screen (touch screen still works!).
ROOT REQUIRED (Non-root method also available but not as effective & battery saving as root)
- Switch off the screen temporarily without actually putting the phone into 'sleep mode'. The phone is still running! It saves your battery, avoids heating to prolong battery life
- Since 1.96, screen can be optionally turned into touchpad!
- It has a nice little widget that let you quickly turn the screen off from your homescreen
- Since version 1.5 beta 2, shaking your device will temporarily toggle between complete screen off and lowest brightness level (so that you can perform quick action without playing a blind guessing game)
- Non-root method now available with 1.98 Beta 7
- One two dimmer: Turn off screen automatically after an idling time (no user interaction)
- Simple interface
This little app will temporarily turn off screen backlight, however, unlike putting the phone to sleep, the phone is kept running. It is perfect for keeping the phone from heating from prolonged HDMI streaming over Medialink HD or MHL connection (the screen is off yet image/movie/games continue to be streamed) / or wifi data downloading, etc.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
It attempts to perform various actions (cutting screen voltage / brightness / light switch / writing a blank image to frame buffer, etc)
(Since 1.5, the voltage method is temporarily disabled)
For some devices, the screen may shutter a bit if Automatic Brightness is turned on. However, the app will automatically detect it and put the backlight into sleep again. So if you want to avoid the problem, set Automatic Brightness to false.. Since 1.7, enable auto brightness handling in app setting helps preventing this flickering
HOW TO TURN ON THE SCREEN AGAIN?
+ Click on the app notification on your status bar (since version 1.3) or
+ Simply put the phone into true sleep (short press power button) then turn it on (power button again)
+ Temporarily lid the light a bit by shaking the device (since 1.5b2, enable it in Menu -> Settings)
+ If you can't turn on using any of the above methods, press emergency button (in main app interface) to turn on / or use 2 by 1 widget
SCREENSHOTS (Updated for version v1.97)
Install as normal apk No big deal
Remember, install and use as your own risk, even though I can't think of any damage this little app can cause to your phone
Changelogs: ßeta 2 Changelog:
Add toggable UI: Metro and Android Dark Holo (in Settings -> Extra)
New feature: Outgoing call automator !
First ßeta Changelog:
- New! Setting Wizard to help user quickly and easily set up Screen Standby. Simply select your known-supported device (the list is expanding!
Please help me) and your use-case (Streaming movie / Playing ingress / Playing Youtube etc) and the wizard will automatically select the optimised preset for you!
- New! Screen Standby Search Plugin to help automate Screen Standby from Search key (long press search hardware-key or softkey) or Google Now gesture (swipe up from Home softkey on Jellybean device). The plugin can now open Screen Standby interface, activate / deactivate / toggle screen off or launch Remote Controller
- Added better Root & BusyBox checker and helper
- Added new Tasker intent to control screen standby: com.nkahoang.screenstandby.action.TOGGLE : to toggle screen on and off automatically com.nkahoang.screenstandby.action.REMOTE_CONTROL: to launch Remote Control from tasker
- Added new option to broadcast an intent to Tasker when HDMI is detected (go to my app's settings -> HDMI Detection -> Enable broadcast on HDMI Connection/Disconnection. Specify intent action (case-sensitive) for each case. Go to tasker, add New System Event -> Intent Received, type exactly the action intent you provided in Screen Standby). The best part is, HDMI Intent can also be broadcast without activating Screen Standby (yeah, so you can use SS as a HDMI sensor for tasker)
- Added ability to use Remote Controller with Wifi-Direct (if a warning message is shown, just click 'Continue Anyway') Optimizations:
- Continued optimisation for Nexus 4
- Added wake-lock to One Two Dimmer
- Slightly tuned sensors
From user report:
Normally, with the same amount of time watching movie, battery drain drops from 30% down to just 2%!!!!!!!!!!!
Please report bugs / feedbacks / suggestions.
To help me solving your issue faster, since version 1.31, you may want to open the app, hit "Menu" key -> Print debug info. It will then generates a log file containing the required information. Please send that file over pm to me. Thank you
Special thanks to: - ppmeis (helps with S2, now S3 / Transformer and lots of other stuffs) - winsettr (helps with Galaxy Nexus compatibility and constant reports) - mnsk (helps with his Sony and Iconia) - cocatriz (helps with S2) - TheDarkLux (helps with Galaxy S3) - evilmtv (helps with problems on GB devices)
Coffee buyers: Styles Vancleave - agronick from AppRadio / ARLiberator forum - jjwatmyself (and also thanks for his mention of my app on his thread) - jdbaldi - jhanson - MichaelMotes Youtube clip: - Doctor.Krouch
Working on TF300T almost perfect. The only "issue" is that when I turn off display, keyboard dock doesn't work (touchpad and usb works but not keyboard).
It doesn't work on my sgs2...I'll try at home with mhl connected and I'll report again. Nice work man. A must have app!
Confirmed it doesn't work on SGS2. It turns brightness at lowest level without standby screen.
Samsung Galaxy S II GT-9100 International
OS Version: 4.0.4 ICS (tested on GB 2.3.6 too)
Please download the latest version (1.31) which have print debug info ("Menu" -> "Print debug info") and sends the file it generates over to me. I don't have either of your devices so this may be the only way I can fix that bug.
Originally Posted by jgaf
Awesome app, one thing is that is a bit of a guessing game when trying to select apps and actions inside apps. Could be a tiny bit higher, so we can see at least barely what we are tapping on?
Ugh, i'm not sure what you mean. Can you explain it a bit clearer? If it is possible then I shall implement that.
Google Nexus 4 - Paranoid Android 3.0 HTC One X - (given away) Motorola Xoom M601 Nexus S
Social network applications and services have developed into major parts ofour … more
29 Aug 2014
By Tomek Kondrat
XDA Developers was founded by developers, for developers. It is now a valuable resource for people who want to make the most of their mobile devices, from customizing the look and feel to adding new functionality. Are you a developer?